The Student Room Group

BMO question from 1980

Prove that the equation x^n + y^n = z^n, where n is an integer > 1, has no solution in integers x, y, and z, with 0 < x <= n, 0 < y <= n.

Find the shortest solution you can; I have one that only takes 4 lines of working.
Reply 1
Original post by HapaxOromenon2
Prove that the equation x^n + y^n = z^n, where n is an integer > 1, has no solution in integers x, y, and z, with 0 < x <= n, 0 < y <= n.

Find the shortest solution you can; I have one that only takes 4 lines of working.

One can get this pretty snappily with the contrapositive. Took me quite a while to notice this.

Spoiler

Original post by joostan
One can get this pretty snappily with the contrapositive. Took me quite a while to notice this.

Spoiler

What I did: By Fermat's Last Theorem there are no solutions for n>2, so since we are given n>1, we need only consider n = 2. Thus we have that x^2 + y^2 = z^2 and 0<x<=2, 0<y<=2, so x and y can each only be 1 or 2.
Thus we check 1^2 + 1^2 = 2, 1^2 + 2^2 = 2^2 + 1^2 = 5, 2^2 + 2^2 = 8, none of which are square numbers. Thus the result follows.

Much simpler than your approach...
Reply 3
Original post by HapaxOromenon2
What I did: By Fermat's Last Theorem there are no solutions for n>2, so since we are given n>1, we need only consider n = 2. Thus we have that x^2 + y^2 = z^2 and 0<x<=2, 0<y<=2, so x and y can each only be 1 or 2.
Thus we check 1^2 + 1^2 = 2, 1^2 + 2^2 = 2^2 + 1^2 = 5, 2^2 + 2^2 = 8, none of which are square numbers. Thus the result follows.

Much simpler than your approach...

I disagree, assuming Fermat's Last Theorem is gigantic, the proof of it - monumental.
Moreover this question was initially set before the theorem was proved.
Original post by joostan
I disagree, assuming Fermat's Last Theorem is gigantic, the proof of it - monumental.

True. But it's still easier to understand than the thing you did, because you don't have to understand the proof of a theorem in order to understand it's statement and to use it to solve problems.
Reply 5
Original post by joostan

He's a well known troll, this is his ~10/11th account. I wouldn't bother replying to him.
Original post by Zacken
He's a well known troll, this is his ~10/11th account. I wouldn't bother replying to him.

I demand that you cease and desist from defamation of me at once.

Quick Reply

Latest