The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Terry Tibbs
"Working at Toys R Us and Build-a-Bear", wat. Calm down mate.

When someone mentions international toy retailers it means they're automatically angry?

The fact you ignored my point, and resorted to "you're emotional", doesn't do a whole lot for your argument here. Not gonna lie, bud.
Original post by Nameless Ghoul
When someone mentions international toy retailers it means they're automatically angry?

The fact you ignored my point, and resorted to "you're emotional", doesn't do a whole lot for your argument here. Not gonna lie, bud.

The thing is, I would argue that you are indeed being emotional given the nature of your responses and I have to say does that nothing for your argument. When did I ever mention anyone would be working at Toys R Us just because of the rep of their uni? I mean, that's a pretty desperate, pathetic and juvenile exaggeration and I dare say strawman. I never said anything about why rep matters, I merely made a few points incase OP happened to be concerned with rep. The fact you are going to overreact in such a way kind of tells me you're personally offended, in fact I could already tell you were from your first reply. I ignored your point because it had nothing to do with what I was saying .
The thing is, I would argue that you are indeed being emotional given the nature of your responses and I have to say does that nothing for your argument. When did I ever mention anyone would be working at Toys R Us just because of the rep of their uni? I mean, that's a pretty desperate, pathetic and juvenile exaggeration and I dare say strawman. I never said anything about why rep matters, I merely made a few points incase OP happened to be concerned with rep. The fact you are going to overreact in such a way kind of tells me you're personally offended, in fact I could already tell you were from your first reply. I ignored your point because it had nothing to do with what I was saying .

Basically we agree Manchester doesn't have superior rep for law and overall uni rep doesn't matter. Glad we could reach such a swift conclusion. I was worried we'd gone off topic a bit.

I am concerned slightly that this perhaps makes your original post somewhat moot, however. Let's not worry about that, though.
Basically we agree Manchester doesn't have superior rep for law and overall uni rep doesn't matter. Glad we could reach such a swift conclusion. I was worried we'd gone off topic a bit.

I am concerned slightly that this perhaps makes your original post somewhat moot, however. Let's not worry about that, though.

It would be naive to say that it doesn't matter at all, it might matter, it might not matter. It being more reputable might mean certain employers favour it, or like I said it might not make any difference at all. My original post makes no claim for either situation, it's just the fact of the matter is is that one uni ranks higher than the other by quite a large margin. Clearly there are some situations where reputation does matter, for example investment banking: it's the rep of the uni that matters, not the course.
It would be naive to say that it doesn't matter at all, it might matter, it might not matter. It being more reputable might mean certain employers favour it, or like I said it might not make any difference at all. My original post makes no claim for either situation, it's just the fact of the matter is is that one uni ranks higher than the other by quite a large margin. Clearly there are some situations where reputation does matter, for example investment banking: it's the rep of the uni that matters, not the course.

Oh right. Do you know if it's the same for law?
Oh right. Do you know if it's the same for law?

Nope, nor do I know if OP wants to go into law, nor did he say so.
Nope, nor do I know if OP wants to go into law, nor did he say so.

Then keep shush-shush. OP didn't mention anything about IB either.
Then keep shush-shush. OP didn't mention anything about IB either.

No sir, I shan't keep shush-shush. My point about IB was me providing an example of an industry among many where reputation matters, hence clearly in general it matters. Since OP hasn't specified what he wants to go into, one can assume the general relevance of reputation.
(edited 8 years ago)
No sir, I shan't keep shush-shush. My point about IB was me providing an example of an industry among many where reputation matters, hence clearly in general it matters. Since OP hasn't specified what he wants to go into, one can assume the general relevance of reputation.

You have moved from a) it matters for IB to b) it matters clearly and generally for non-IB. These are two separate propositions: a does not evidence b.

For the general grad scheme at the head offices of BT or Aldi or Virgin Atlantic, the difference in rep between the two universities is so minimal that it won't come into play. For law, potentially a career OP wants to go into, the name of the university is secondary to the reputation of the course the university delivers.

Essentially, the only arena in which overall rep is relevant, according to the hordes of IB wannabes, is IB. As you wish to do IB, it is natural to expect that other disciplines will shall the same traits as it. I don't blame you for this a prior expectation. But I have trouble with you going into denial and trying to save face when it is explained to you that you are a little bit off the mark with your comments. Face up to your mistakes and learn from them.

Till next time, peace out, my G.
I chose Manchester as a firm but i regret not insuring Birmingham. The Uni seems so nice :frown: this is for civil engineering though
You have moved from a) it matters for IB to b) it matters clearly and generally for non-IB. These are two separate propositions: a does not evidence b.

For the general grad scheme at the head offices of BT or Aldi or Virgin Atlantic, the difference in rep between the two universities is so minimal that it won't come into play. For law, potentially a career OP wants to go into, the name of the university is secondary to the reputation of the course the university delivers.

Essentially, the only arena in which overall rep is relevant, according to the hordes of IB wannabes, is IB. As you wish to do IB, it is natural to expect that other disciplines will shall the same traits as it. I don't blame you for this a prior expectation. But I have trouble with you going into denial and trying to save face when it is explained to you that you are a little bit off the mark with your comments. Face up to your mistakes and learn from them.

Till next time, peace out, my G.

Misrepresenting my arguments yet again. You argued on the basis that because it doesn't matter for law, it shouldn't matter at all. I provided an example for where it does matter, the fact it was IB is irrelevant as I could have picked anything, the point was in general it may or may not matter.

Your hypocrisy truly is hilarious, you claim to you know that for every possible career out there besides IB university rep does not matter, okay mate. Are you going to quote where I said it will matter to any large extent for any general career? No, because I said no such thing and since your entire fallacy ridden argument rests on that, it's amusing that you try to claim who is off the mark here. Judging by how desperate you are to get the last word in, you seem a little butthurt and or insecure. Honestly, I'd expect better rhetoric from a law student, then again you might go to a crap uni. Adios.
Misrepresenting my arguments yet again. You argued on the basis that because it doesn't matter for law, it shouldn't matter at all. I provided an example for where it does matter, the fact it was IB is irrelevant as I could have picked anything, the point was in general it may or may not matter.

Your hypocrisy truly is hilarious, you claim to you know that for every possible career out there besides IB university rep does not matter, okay mate. Are you going to quote where I said it will matter to any large extent for any general career? No, because I said no such thing and since your entire fallacy ridden argument rests on that, it's amusing that you try to claim who is off the mark here. Judging by how desperate you are to get the last word in, you seem a little butthurt and or insecure. Honestly, I'd expect better rhetoric from a law student, then again you might go to a crap uni. Adios.

The person flinging out vitriolic insults is saying I am butthurt? Hmm, questionable.

I don't have any skin in the game; I am but a disinterested bystander, gazing at the sky and occasionally at the bright blue sea to see the majestic waves go in and out. It is you who has something to lose, with your incorrect claims of Manchester having substantially better reputation. Your career rests on this argument. I can understand that the world after graduation is a big and scary place, but truly you need not resort to deluding yourself into thinking Moxbridge is a thing. You'll be OK; everything will be A-OK.

Spoiler

Original post by TAK97
I got offers for LLB International Law and Globalisation at Birmingham Uni
and
LLB Law with Politics at Manchester Uni
But I really don't know which one is better, any suggestions?
Thank you

Depends on which one is a qualifying law degree. If both are, then I would lean slightly towards Birmingham.
Hi everyone.
I have offers for LLB Law at university of Birmingham and university of Liverpool.
I live very close to Birmingham uni and my sister goes to Liverpool uni just to set the scene.
Really struggling with what order to place the two.
If any students of either uni's could write some good points about hat uni and why it tops the other I would really appreciate it.
Thanks very much ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
University of Birmingham's LLB is one of the best in the country. Geoffrey Ma, the Chief Justice of the Hong Kong Court of Final Appeal, is an alumni from the Birmingham Law School.
Original post by yipkc
University of Birmingham's LLB is one of the best in the country. Geoffrey Ma, the Chief Justice of the Hong Kong Court of Final Appeal, is an alumni from the Birmingham Law School.

I don't even think a birmingham student would say this
I say Manchester for the reputation
Reply 37
Birmingham. That's all.
Reply 38
Agreed. Their careers program is AMAZING! Birmingham's law program is more reputable than Manchester.

Latest

Trending

Trending