The Student Room Group

Need an excuse to leave a group holiday

So I have paid deposit for a holiday with 8 others in July after exams, the deposit was paid a few months ago.

The problem is that I have recently fell out with the group, they stopped talking to me for no reason and began excluding me from everything, that serious that I don't even talk to them. It bothered me at first but after finding new friends I almost don't care about the old ones.

They still, however, want me to go on holiday with them. I am still friends with some, and most will still be normal with me, but I really don't want to go, like SERIOUSLY DON'T WANT TO GO.

The payment for the holiday is by the end of this month.

One found out that I wanted to drop out, and I got messages saying I had to pay them an equal amount each to cover my payment of the holiday. I don't believe this is fair as they kicked me out, not the other way round.

I know dropping off the holiday will mean they will never speak to me again, which is inevitable after the holiday anyway.

My question is, How do I say I don't want to go anymore without angering them (too much anyway)? I just don't want anything stupid happening over the holiday, and I wish to remain distant friends after with some of them.

What excuse could I possibly use to get me out of a holiday?

Thank you for reading, it's been bothering me for awhile and I just need to figure out a way to sort this out.
Its ok getting out as an excuse but they still have the problem of having to pay for your place. I think if that happened and you cost all of them money then they would turn.

How about you find a replacement and agree to sell them your place with a discount? Ofc I dont know if the booking will allow this but check.
Its a tricky situation. No idea how old you are, but if still at school have a word wth your parents and maybe they cna talk with the parents of the person who organised it or the parents of the person youve fallen out with?

You could try paying them half, tell them why and then not go? You would be punishing some friends you wnated to keep though.
If you have to go then have a chat with the ones you get on with and just stay away from the ones you dont. If its terrible then come back early.

Tricky and I cant think of an obvious solution. the holiday company will want paying by someone. Sorry. Someone else might have a better solution.
Speak to them asap and try and get a replacement for your spot (probably at a discount). You don't really have another way to get out of this without causing massive problems because (I assume) they will either have to drop out of the holiday or pay your share if you don't go. It doesn't matter what reason you come up with, you agreed to pay X towards the holiday and they agreed to go on the basis they would pay X as well, if they have to pay £100 each extra because of you you can see why they're annoyed. That said, if they're being really nasty to them then I would feel it was their own fault that you don't want to pay hundreds of pounds out to go on holiday with them.
Reply 3
Original post by doodle_333
Speak to them asap and try and get a replacement for your spot (probably at a discount). You don't really have another way to get out of this without causing massive problems because (I assume) they will either have to drop out of the holiday or pay your share if you don't go. It doesn't matter what reason you come up with, you agreed to pay X towards the holiday and they agreed to go on the basis they would pay X as well, if they have to pay £100 each extra because of you you can see why they're annoyed. That said, if they're being really nasty to them then I would feel it was their own fault that you don't want to pay hundreds of pounds out to go on holiday with them.

I'll speak to one soon face-to-face, I'll try and explain why I don't want to go, knowing that he'll be annoyed but I honestly don't want to pay so much just to have a bad time, especially that they don't even talk to me anymore, apart from him.

I hope not to sound rude about me not going on this holiday anymore, but I never planned for this, and they probably didn't either.

Thank you for the help, I will try my best to sort this out soon, I know this might end being friends with them afterwards, but it's probably for the best.
Original post by Anonymous
I'll speak to one soon face-to-face, I'll try and explain why I don't want to go, knowing that he'll be annoyed but I honestly don't want to pay so much just to have a bad time, especially that they don't even talk to me anymore, apart from him.

I hope not to sound rude about me not going on this holiday anymore, but I never planned for this, and they probably didn't either.

Thank you for the help, I will try my best to sort this out soon, I know this might end being friends with them afterwards, but it's probably for the best.

yeah, tbh expect a lot of anger, if they're not talking to them then they only want you to come to save them money... but they can't expect you to come if they're making things so hard for you
Unless you've entered some sort of legal contract, tell them to piss off. No lies, no excuses, no fvcks given

If the bookings were indibidual the holiday company will come after you.
If it was a combined booking then they may all come after you for repayment.

Sort it out asap, so at least they know.
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger
If the bookings were indibidual the holiday company will come after you.
If it was a combined booking then they may all come after you for repayment.

Sort it out asap, so at least they know.

The holiday was booked as a group and through Jet2Holidays so the flights and holiday hotel are both in the price. I would love to tell them straight I don't want to go, and I have to do it sooner than later. I think I might be able to ring the company up and say that I'm not going, either ask someone to take my place or cancel my seat on the flight, and their price will go up probably. Does anyone know if there's any way to ask for a smaller room so that there's enough people going for the space in each room, surely then the price will not be increased?
The holiday was booked as a group and through Jet2Holidays so the flights and holiday hotel are both in the price. I would love to tell them straight I don't want to go, and I have to do it sooner than later. I think I might be able to ring the company up and say that I'm not going, either ask someone to take my place or cancel my seat on the flight, and their price will go up probably. Does anyone know if there's any way to ask for a smaller room so that there's enough people going for the space in each room, surely then the price will not be increased?

1. I doubt you canceling would make any difference as its too late to get a refund.
2. What will probably happen is whoever booked it becomes liable or all of you. Jet 2 wont be bothered who pays , but it will get its money.
3. I doubt they will gve you a smaller room from 8 to 7. It probably doesnt exist.

When you cancel and there is no replacement(they might not accept one) either you or they will have to pay the extra, but check. In that case as you dont intend to pay, then your friends are going to get very annoyed at costing them money. I would have sorted a settlement out with them before.

Ring Jet2 and see what happens.
Despite the fact that they pushed you out/you don't speak to them, you agreed to pay towards the holiday and they did not expect to have to pay for your place. Having been on multiple holidays with my friends, we always establish the fact that if anyone pulls out they find a replacement or pay because it's really unfair to expect everyone else to pay because you changed your mind.
It's an unfortunate situation to be in, but you never know once you get on holiday you might get along with them! Think hard about what to do, because if you pull out and don't pay, then other people are out of pocket which is highly unfair in my opinion
So I have paid deposit for a holiday with 8 others in July after exams, the deposit was paid a few months ago.

The problem is that I have recently fell out with the group, they stopped talking to me for no reason and began excluding me from everything, that serious that I don't even talk to them. It bothered me at first but after finding new friends I almost don't care about the old ones.

They still, however, want me to go on holiday with them. I am still friends with some, and most will still be normal with me, but I really don't want to go, like SERIOUSLY DON'T WANT TO GO.

The payment for the holiday is by the end of this month.

One found out that I wanted to drop out, and I got messages saying I had to pay them an equal amount each to cover my payment of the holiday. I don't believe this is fair as they kicked me out, not the other way round.

I know dropping off the holiday will mean they will never speak to me again, which is inevitable after the holiday anyway.

My question is, How do I say I don't want to go anymore without angering them (too much anyway)? I just don't want anything stupid happening over the holiday, and I wish to remain distant friends after with some of them.

What excuse could I possibly use to get me out of a holiday?

Thank you for reading, it's been bothering me for awhile and I just need to figure out a way to sort this out.

They can't be surprised that you don't want to go since they have ditched you. If it was me, I'd just tell them I'm not going. You may lose your deposit but it's better than feeling completely alone in a room full of people.
Excluding someone from a friendship group without explanation is such a mean thing to do, I'd consider that to be more hurtful than having someone drop out of a holiday.
Having thought about it if you dont find a replacement, then it will get messy.

You need to tell them in writing that they have cut you out so its luicrous they expect you to go on a holiday with them. As a result you have decided not to go and as this was their doing then they can find someone else. If they have reasonable parents tell them in a letter. They will ofc fume and you are likely to make things a lo worse, but it will give you some portection when they try and come after you for the money. There isnt a nice fluffy answer though. Cost people money and they get annoyed. If you tell them up front tather than just dropping out , it will be a lot easier to degend any small claim if they sue you for it.
Sorry for relighting an old post, but I thought I should say the update of this thread.

So it got sorted, I said I wasn't going and they accepted the fact I didn't want to go, they decided to rebook a room I think, it only costed them like £50 to change everything, I decided that I should pay that at least, Seeing that it probably wasn't fair if they paid for it themselves. So in total lost £100 (£50 on deposit, £50 on editing me out) but now it's finally over! :smile:

Thank you all again for the help when I needed it, seriously helped me out when I had nowhere to turn, and helped me concentrate on my next actions to resolve the issue :smile:
Sorry for relighting an old post, but I thought I should say the update of this thread.

So it got sorted, I said I wasn't going and they accepted the fact I didn't want to go, they decided to rebook a room I think, it only costed them like £50 to change everything, I decided that I should pay that at least, Seeing that it probably wasn't fair if they paid for it themselves. So in total lost £100 (£50 on deposit, £50 on editing me out) but now it's finally over! :smile:

Thank you all again for the help when I needed it, seriously helped me out when I had nowhere to turn, and helped me concentrate on my next actions to resolve the issue :smile:

If you see this I have your issue but slightly different. If you can see my post could you help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending