The Student Room Group

How wealthy do you need to be to vote conservative?

Just wondering in general. At what point do you benefit from tory policies rather than get screwed by their cuts in public services etc etc.

Scroll to see replies

You don't have to be wealthy to vote Tory.

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by ||TheUnknown||
You don't have to be wealthy to vote Tory.

Spoiler

i think you do personally. Even if you benefit from tax cuts or higher minimum wage you will still be screwed somewhere else i.e increasing property prices, sale of national assets, corporations avoiding taxes, reduction in public services
I mean minimum wage is good, as they support them too much rly.
Its not a matter of being wealthy its whether you agree with their policies and ideology or not. Every party will probably screw you over one way or another- Tories cut public services etc, Labour would raise taxes. Its probably more about choosing the least worst option
Reply 5
You don't have to be wealthy to vote Tory... With any party you will get screwed over somehow (I just think the Tories are the best choice of a bad era for politics)
so you're suggesting that wealthy people shouldn't vote anything but tory, in that case?
so you think martin friedman, bill bailey and all those other left wing champagne sippers are stupid/hypocrites?
If only poor people voted left wing and only rich voted right wing... doesn't that mean left wing parties have an incentive to keep as many people poor, and right wing parties have an incentive to make many people rich?

I'm not a tory, nor really even a "right winger", but its something I've wondered.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
I'd say those who'd get 40% of their annual income taken away from the government, if they vote otherwise. So around £40-50,000/yr.
Anglicans, Catholics, nobility, landowners, homeowners, business owners, hunters, historians and Oxbridge academics, pretty much anyone who isn't a manual labouring pheasant
Original post by Charles_2nd
Anglicans, Catholics, nobility, landowners, homeowners, business owners, hunters, historians and Oxbridge academics, pretty much anyone who isn't a manual labouring pheasant

Peasant*

At least spell our title right
Original post by Serine Soul
Peasant*

At least spell our title right

We hunt pheasants. I spelt it right.
Original post by shazombie
I'd say those who'd get 40% of their annual income taken away from the government, if they vote otherwise. So around £40-50,000/yr.

think income plays less of a part rather than wealth.

thanks for clearing that up

pip pip
We hunt pheasants. I spelt it right.

Smh
Original post by Bill_Gates

Just wondering in general. At what point do you benefit from tory policies rather than get screwed by their cuts in public services etc etc.

In the 2015 election the Tories won a plurality of those with incomes above £20k so more or less average.

The biggest thing correlated with voting Tory though is home ownership. Whether you have a mortgage (and therefore probably don't want higher taxes) or you own your own home (therefore will oppose any development that may impact your house price) it seems that home ownership is akin to a Tory manufacturing plant.

It is falling rates of home ownership rather than inequality (just a symptom) or even wage growth which are by far the biggest threat to Tory dominance electorally.
The comment is too general
Original post by chemting
If only poor people voted left wing and only rich voted right wing... doesn't that mean left wing parties have an incentive to keep as many people poor, and right wing parties have an incentive to make many people rich?

I'm not a tory, nor really even a "right winger", but its something I've wondered.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's actually a thing left wing parties have to deal with. Raise people up and then they think they can start voting Tory.
You don't need to be wealthy. You just need to be an idiot.
Original post by Tinemither
You don't need to be wealthy. You just need to be an idiot.

boooooooooom

headshot!
The question is, how wealthy do you have to be to benefit from Conservative policies?

London-based bankers and offshored nondom traders and hedge fund managers appear to be the main beneficiaries. All Tory policies are geared to their interests and their interests alone.

That's about 10-20 thousand people out of a population of 65m.

Quick Reply

Latest