The Student Room Group

Why are we told all women are beautiful, but not all men?

Just curious. I'm female myself. But I hear so much talk of all women's bodies are beautiful but no one ever says it about men. Why does body and beauty acceptance not apply to men? For instance no one says bald or short men are beautiful, and they don't demand that society sees it as so they just seem to get on with it. I think there are unrealistic beauty standards for both men and women so it doesn't make sense to me that people don't parade around declaring all men are beautiful, handsome etc if they are going to do it for women.

I think it's a lie that all women are beautiful. Beauty takes work in my opinion. You need good hygiene, diet, activity levels, grooming, decent clothing etc. Women (and men for that matter) who are revered in the media have glam squads, personal trainers etc.

And even if we are talking inner beauty, there are a lot of horrible, selfish people in the world.

Scroll to see replies

Because men are assumed to be strong enough to deal with the truth. That some of us are ugly. Ironic feminists
men aren't deemed to be as sensitive.

don't get why women have to be told they are always beautiful tbh, it's subjective anyway.
Because women are emotional nut cases
Reply 4
Not all women are beautiful, it's just said not to hurt them.

If a man is ugly, he knows.
Reply 5
Its all a lie. Ive seen many ugly women.
Reply 6
People still tell you all women are beautiful? The 1970s ended 36 years ago...
Reply 7
Original post by Charles_2nd
Because men are assumed to be strong enough to deal with the truth. That some of us are ugly. Ironic feminists

If it is feminism then it makes no sense. If we want equality we need to be seen as strong and as competent as men and not care whether we are ugly or not.
Reply 8
Original post by Saeed9710
Its all a lie. Ive seen many ugly women.

I know it's a lie. But my point is why don't we lie about men too?
Most men aren't self conscious about they way the look
Reply 10
Original post by samina_ay
Because women are emotional nut cases

So are men... well some of them :ninja:.
Original post by Oy Vey
Not all women are beautiful, it's just said not to hurt them.

If a man is ugly, he knows.

Chas Vesholom!
Original post by Anonymous

Because lying is a sin. And sin comes from satan. And satan is embodied in the emotions of women.
Reply 13
Because women need validation and attention like how fish need water

/thread.
Original post by Anonymous

Lying is the basis of polite society
Original post by oShahpo
People still tell you all women are beautiful? The 1970s ended 36 years ago...

Have you checked out half of the hashtags on twitter? #everyoneisbeautiful #bodyposi #fatacceptance #discrimination #patriarchy #fatshaming #bodyshaming #haes #effyourbeautystandards #losehatenotweight
Because there is a multi billion trillion dollar industry that targets women to sell beauty products to. Women have always been out to make themselves visually beautiful and men are now following. Beauty has always been more important to women than men though i think that has changed recently aswell
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by CON5P1RACY K1D
Most men aren't self conscious about they way the look

I don't think that's true. I think there are pressures and expectations on men too. For instance most guys try and hit the gym at least once to try and get ripped, though most give up. There's a good number of men who turn to steroids and god knows what else to improve their body and risking their healthy. No one is saying they are handsome no matter that.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Because there is a multi billion trillion dollar industry that targets women to sell beauty products to. Women have always been out to make themselves visually beautiful and men are now following. Beauty has always been more important to women than men though i think that has changed recently aswell

Yeah I think this is the thing I see it so much now especially in this up and coming generation of young men. I think men are also becoming more feminised but that's a whole other thread.
I don't think men have the same desire to be beautiful as women do. For the most part anyway.

If you gave me a choice between being strong and beautiful, I'd choose strong everyday. And we'd probably be considered good-looking just for being strong, anyway.

SS

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending