The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

How hard is it for an American to get in?

Just like the title says. I'm looking at St A's and I'm from the states. I know its easier to get in than from the UK or Europe but can anyone provide me some insight on the admissions process from the USA? Thanks
is this is a new version of greatguy :colone:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Original post by fatima1998
is this is a new version of greatguy :colone:

I honestly have no idea what your talking about. And that blue face is freaking me out haha.
Reply 3
I'm really new here! Usually go on College Confidential. But they don't know much about Uk schools for the most part
Original post by guitarguy99
I honestly have no idea what your talking about. And that blue face is freaking me out haha.

lol d.w :h:
It depends on the university. Generally speaking it is harder for international students to get in. Check the websites of the universities you're interested in and they'll tell you what the entrance requirements are.
What's wrong with the unis in the states?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Why are Americans obsessed with St Andrews yet couldn't care less about other UK unis (bar Oxbridge)? Is it purely because of Kate Middleton? You're not going to become a princess if you go there...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Nah I'm looking at a few, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, and Glasgow too. I'm also looking at like 10 schools right now in the states. But I think it would be pretty cool to go abroad for college.
Original post by guitarguy99
Just like the title says. I'm looking at St A's and I'm from the states. I know its easier to get in than from the UK or Europe but can anyone provide me some insight on the admissions process from the USA? Thanks

Since it seems that no one so far has bothered with a serious answer... At St Andrews, international students generally get in much easier. Check the website for the entry requirements, but know that they in all admissions matters are much more lenient with international students (who also compete less for spaces).
I know it's too late to respond to guitarguy99, but I'll just throw my stats out there in case another American student finds this thread. I'm American and I applied using the Common App to Economics and Computer Science (first choice) and straight Computer Science (second choice). I also clicked the button to be considered with the dual degree program in economics where you spend two years at St. Andrews and two years at William & Mary (in America). I found out in mid-November that I'd been accepted into the dual-degree program, and got an email today letting me know that I've also been accepted into the Computer Science and Economics major (yay!).

I'm homeschooled, so I don't really have any normal extracurriculars. I think I put crafting, being a foster sister, teaching my brother Spanish, and a few other little ones along with the "biggest" one of having a book review blog (www.ireadtilldawn.blogspot.com). I have a 1510 SAT (or 2290 with all three sections) and I've gotten six 5s and two 4s on AP exams (including 5s–the equivalent of As or A*s or whatever the highest grade is, I think–on Calc AB, Computer Science, and Macro and Microeconomics). I also had a perfect score on the AP Micro test, which I think helped a lot on the economics side. My math SAT score wasn't as high as it could have been, though, so I thought for sure the computer science people weren't going to take me. I guess they just did decide to give me a try!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
The perception is that is is generally easier for International students. You pay big monies right?
Hey everyone I made a facebook page for St Andrews 2017 applicants because i couldn't find one myself - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1231311706946972/ Hope you join and get to meet some other fabulous prospective students!
Reply 14
Original post by JainaRose
I know it's too late to respond to guitarguy99, but I'll just throw my stats out there in case another American student finds this thread. I'm American and I applied using the Common App to Economics and Computer Science (first choice) and straight Computer Science (second choice). I also clicked the button to be considered with the dual degree program in economics where you spend two years at St. Andrews and two years at William & Mary (in America). I found out in mid-November that I'd been accepted into the dual-degree program, and got an email today letting me know that I've also been accepted into the Computer Science and Economics major (yay!).

I'm homeschooled, so I don't really have any normal extracurriculars. I think I put crafting, being a foster sister, teaching my brother Spanish, and a few other little ones along with the "biggest" one of having a book review blog (www.ireadtilldawn.blogspot.com). I have a 1510 SAT (or 2290 with all three sections) and I've gotten six 5s and two 4s on AP exams (including 5s–the equivalent of As or A*s or whatever the highest grade is, I think–on Calc AB, Computer Science, and Macro and Microeconomics). I also had a perfect score on the AP Micro test, which I think helped a lot on the economics side. My math SAT score wasn't as high as it could have been, though, so I thought for sure the computer science people weren't going to take me. I guess they just did decide to give me a try!

Hi, I'm also American, and I was just wondering if you've decided to go to St Andrews?
Original post by Ace2184
Hi, I'm also American, and I was just wondering if you've decided to go to St Andrews?

I haven't decided yet, since I'm still waiting to hear back from some American universities. I'd say there's a pretty good chance I will decide to go there, though, because it seems nearly perfect!
They open the flood-gates for Americans.

I'm currently studying International Relations there, I've been in tutorials where I've been the only UK Student. I've never been in a class in the department which wasn't at least 1/4 yank - and it's often closer to 3/4. The university actively targets American schools, sends ambassadors out there regularly, (especially to the elite private schools), and even held a gala dinner in New York (with Will & Kate) to solidify it's status as 'internationally Scottish' i.e. follow the American money. I've met absurdly rich people here.

I've heard statistics which say that 1/32 UK applicants are admitted for our program, 1/64 Scottish, and 2/3 for the Americans. That is to say that for every 32 UK students who apply, there is only one place. For Americans entry requirements are lower, and they'll respond to you first to let you know you've got a place. After all the internationals have been decided upon, they then decide which RUK and Scottish kids are offered a place. It's pretty shocking behaviour tbh - but in comparision with other elite universities St Andrews just doesn't have the money - and the incentive of £17,000 a year from a international students (plus that nice tradition Americans have of donating to their Alma Mater) is just too hard to turn down. As a former history tutor of mine quipped : 'the IR school is a cash cow for the university.' ... The marketisation of education is a wonderful thing.

Don't get me wrong, some of the Americans work very hard and are incredibly bright individuals completely deserving of a space here - and it definitely makes for a unique student experience. However, I can't shake the feeling that this comes at a cost to local students - the Scots in particular. In four years I haven't met a single state-school educated Scottish student in IR. The new Principal says she's going to work on widening-access... but I'm not sure how much of that is window-dressing rather than a sincere commitment. ... And after saying all of that, I have heard from a New Yorker friend that a couple of students from her school have been rejected from St Andrews (previously unheard of).

Sorry this largely irrelevant ranting - if you apply, do your research, write a good statement, and meet the entry criteria I would be surprised if you weren't offered a place. The town can get a bit claustrophobic, but it's beautiful, the education is top class, you'll meet wonderful people, and many doors will be opened for you. Wish you all the best, but I wouldn't fret too much about getting a place.
Reply 17
Original post by StAndrews13
They open the flood-gates for Americans.

I'm currently studying International Relations there, I've been in tutorials where I've been the only UK Student. I've never been in a class in the department which wasn't at least 1/4 yank - and it's often closer to 3/4. The university actively targets American schools, sends ambassadors out there regularly, (especially to the elite private schools), and even held a gala dinner in New York (with Will & Kate) to solidify it's status as 'internationally Scottish' i.e. follow the American money. I've met absurdly rich people here.

I've heard statistics which say that 1/32 UK applicants are admitted for our program, 1/64 Scottish, and 2/3 for the Americans. That is to say that for every 32 UK students who apply, there is only one place. For Americans entry requirements are lower, and they'll respond to you first to let you know you've got a place. After all the internationals have been decided upon, they then decide which RUK and Scottish kids are offered a place. It's pretty shocking behaviour tbh - but in comparision with other elite universities St Andrews just doesn't have the money - and the incentive of £17,000 a year from a international students (plus that nice tradition Americans have of donating to their Alma Mater) is just too hard to turn down. As a former history tutor of mine quipped : 'the IR school is a cash cow for the university.' ... The marketisation of education is a wonderful thing.

Don't get me wrong, some of the Americans work very hard and are incredibly bright individuals completely deserving of a space here - and it definitely makes for a unique student experience. However, I can't shake the feeling that this comes at a cost to local students - the Scots in particular. In four years I haven't met a single state-school educated Scottish student in IR. The new Principal says she's going to work on widening-access... but I'm not sure how much of that is window-dressing rather than a sincere commitment. ... And after saying all of that, I have heard from a New Yorker friend that a couple of students from her school have been rejected from St Andrews (previously unheard of).

Sorry this largely irrelevant ranting - if you apply, do your research, write a good statement, and meet the entry criteria I would be surprised if you weren't offered a place. The town can get a bit claustrophobic, but it's beautiful, the education is top class, you'll meet wonderful people, and many doors will be opened for you. Wish you all the best, but I wouldn't fret too much about getting a place.

Hello, and thank you for your detailed response! Regarding the IR program, do you like it? How are the professors? Also, do you think Americans might struggle with the coursework because of the difference in education? Oh, and by the way, does St Andrews have any sort of Freshers sports requirement? (I heard that on facebook, and I'm pretty sure they're just joking, but I wanted to verify)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending