The Student Room Group

Stats ques.

"The time it takes for a cheese and ham sandwhich to be toasted in a Cass ground floor cafetaria appears to be normally distributed. A random sample of the times for toasting 20 such sandwhich had a sample mean of 151 seconds and a sample standard deviation of 21.9 seconds.

What is the value of the upper end point of the 99% confidence interval for the mean time to toast a cheese and ham sandwich"

I got 163.61 but apparently the answer is 165.0098, any idea how they got this?.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Mentally
"The time it takes for a cheese and ham sandwhich to be toasted in a Cass ground floor cafetaria appears to be normally distributed. A random sample of the times for toasting 20 such sandwhich had a sample mean of 151 seconds and a sample standard deviation of 21.9 seconds."

I got 163.61 but apparently the answer is 165.0098, any idea how they got this?.

Am I being thick or have you not given the question? What are we meant to be finding?
Reply 2
Original post by Zacken
Am I being thick or have you not given the question? What are we meant to be finding?

No i was being thick, sec lemme edit
Reply 3
"The time it takes for a cheese and ham sandwhich to be toasted in a Cass ground floor cafetaria appears to be normally distributed. A random sample of the times for toasting 20 such sandwhich had a sample mean of 151 seconds and a sample standard deviation of 21.9 seconds."

What's the question.
So XN(151,21.92) X \sim N(151, 21.9^2) .
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by B_9710
What's the question.
So X N(151,21.92) X~N(151, 21.9^2) .

see op now
Reply 5

I got 163.61 too and I'm inclined to agree with you.
Reply 6
Original post by Zacken

OK how about this one

"A sample of 24 independent observation is taken from a normal distribution of unknown mean μ but known variance σ2 = 96.42.
The sample mean is 61.88 and sample variance is 57. What is the width of the 98% confidence interval for μ ?"
Reply 7
Original post by Zacken

Same.
Reply 8
OK how about this one

"A sample of 24 independent observation is taken from a normal distribution of unknown mean μ but known variance σ2 = 96.42.
The sample mean is 61.88 and sample variance is 57. What is the width of the 98% confidence interval for μ ?"

7.17?
Reply 9
Original post by Zacken
7.17?

Apparently, 9.3255, but could be another mistake . Thanks for the help tho
Reply 10

Darn. Always sucks when the textbook answers are wrong.

9.3255 is the correct value.

What's your calculation?

Note: You need to use the critical value to 4 dec.pl. to get their exact answer.
(edited 8 years ago)
"The time it takes for a cheese and ham sandwhich to be toasted in a Cass ground floor cafetaria appears to be normally distributed. A random sample of the times for toasting 20 such sandwhich had a sample mean of 151 seconds and a sample standard deviation of 21.9 seconds.

What is the value of the upper end point of the 99% confidence interval for the mean time to toast a cheese and ham sandwich"

Try the t-distribution - small sample. Book's answer is correct.
Reply 13
Original post by ghostwalker
Try the t-distribution - small sample. Book's answer is correct.

Thanks so much I got the answer now. But doesn't the central limit theorem say I should be able to approximate with a Normal Distribution, and if not then how large should sample size be before I can begin to estimate using Normal Distribution
Reply 14
Original post by ghostwalker
9.3255 is the correct value.

What's your calculation?

Note: You need to use the critical value to 4 dec.pl. to get their exact answer.

My answer is wayyy off, can you post working please?
Thanks so much I got the answer now. But doesn't the central limit theorem say I should be able to approximate with a Normal Distribution, and if not then how large should sample size be before I can begin to estimate using Normal Distribution

Depends how accurate you want your results! If we focus attention on 99% confidence intervals, then the following bit of R code produces the attached graph.

The red line is the value of the normal 0.995 quantile and the blue that of the t distribution as the number of degrees of freedom varies. At 19 degrees of freedom (the value in the problem above) the relative error is about 11%; at 100 degrees of freedom it is just under 2%. The relative error gets worse as you go further out into the tails of the distributions.
x <- 10:100
y <- qt(0.995, x)
plot(x,y, type="l", lwd=2, col="blue", xlab="degrees of freedom", ylab="", ylim=c(2.5,3.2))
abline(h=qnorm(0.995), lwd=2, col="red" )
(edited 8 years ago)
But doesn't the central limit theorem say I should be able to approximate with a Normal Distribution, and if not then how large should sample size be before I can begin to estimate using Normal Distribution

You should have some guidelines on how large a sample, either from your textbook or lectures. Crawshaw & Chambers suggests n>= 30 if you wish to approximate, but that's just an A-level text: As this is undergraduate level you may have different criteria.

My answer is wayyy off, can you post working please?

98% confidence interval implies 1% either end.
So for your critical value, you're looking for z, such that ϕ(z)=10.01=0.99\phi(z) = 1-0.01 = 0.99

Then s.d. = 96.4224\sqrt{\frac{96.42}{24}}

Multiply by your z value and then double it for the interval length.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest