The Student Room Group

I go to high school in Japan. AMA

Scroll to see replies

Inb4Weaboostryspeakjapaneselikepros
Original post by TheTechN1304
Not really a weeaboo considering I know next to nothing about anime, and my main interests lie in Japanese aesthetics in Buddhism and classical literature, but ok.

Weeaboo stuff isn't just anime, its being obsessed with stuff that is Japanese.

Now question time: have you seen that show where guys have to sing karaoke whilst getting ****ed off? (saw on rudetube for anyone wandering how I know about this).
(edited 8 years ago)
Are there many sports clubs?
And what clubs are you in
Another question! Do you think you've changed as a result of your time in Japan?
Since you're an exchange student where are you living? (hotel, local family etc?)
Homestay. I'll be going to Oxford University.

Oh, I didn't realise Oxford students go abroad on their second year.

Do you think it's difficult to get close to some of the Japanese people? In my opinion, they're a very shy race and it can take months to progress a relationship. Unless, of course, you drink with them or something.
I'm studying at a school in Japan and am the only foreigner in the entire school of 1,500 people. AMA

Since how long are you there ?
Original post by Mentally
Are there many sports clubs?
And what clubs are you in

Yeah there are loads of different sports. In Japan you're not really able to join multiple clubs though. People stick to one and practice 4-6 times a week. Even now it's Spring Break, but some of my friends have to go in 5 times a week for training. I personally haven't joined one as I had a lot going on so couldn't commit that much time, but from next term I'm probably going to join badminton.
Original post by roarchika
Another question! Do you think you've changed as a result of your time in Japan?

Yeah definitely. As cliché as it sounds, I've definitely become more independent here and the fact that it's so different to the uk has really changed my outlook on the world. Also it goes without saying that I think my Japanese has really improved.
saw Babymetal last night what does doki dock mean?
@TheTechN1304 My English teacher was talking about schools in Japan, apparently you have automatic gates which close at exactly the time when school starts...and apparently there was one student who got crushed to death by these gates? Is this true?

Also do you watch NHK World?
Also would you say the school building and features are very modern, or on par with the schools here (in the UK?)
Original post by Quick-use
Oh, I didn't realise Oxford students go abroad on their second year.

Do you think it's difficult to get close to some of the Japanese people? In my opinion, they're a very shy race and it can take months to progress a relationship. Unless, of course, you drink with them or something.

It depends on the subject. Modern languages students go abroad in their 3rd year, but oriental studies students go in their 2nd year.

Interesting question. I'd say yes and no. At school, a lot of people want to talk to me and get to know me because I'm a 'cool foreigner', and so they will make an effort to talk to me and form a relationship. At the same time, there are also a lot of people who want to talk to me and get to know me, but they are too shy and intimidated by me - almost as if they don't see themselves worthy enough to talk to me (which i think is a bit ridiculous lol). If I'm proactive in interacting then it's relatively easy to form friendships (especially because I speak Japanese, which helps 1000% as it helps bridge the gap and makes me less 'foreign':wink:

Generally speaking though, yes they are quite shy, and unless I am active in interacting with people, it can be quite difficult.
I'm studying at a school in Japan and am the only foreigner in the entire school of 1,500 people. AMA

Q) Is there any air pollution in Japan in comparison to China and if so to what extent?

Q) Do you feel at times overworked in the Japanese education system on the contrast to UK education?

Q) What education system do you feel is more suited to students or would you say it depends upon the individual?
Original post by childofthesun
Since you're an exchange student where are you living? (hotel, local family etc?)

I'm staying with a host families. I've been with a total of about 4.

Original post by FrenchUnicorn
Since how long are you there ?

I arrived last October and I leave at the end of July.
Original post by jonathanemptage
saw Babymetal last night what does doki dock mean?

Doki doki is onomatopoeia for your heartbeat, so it can mean frightened/excited. How was baby metal? :biggrin:
Doki doki is onomatopoeia for your heartbeat, so it can mean frightened/excited. How was baby metal? :biggrin:

thanks it was probably up there in my top 3 and I'v seen a lot of gigs.
I'm staying with a host families. I've been with a total of about 4.

I arrived last October and I leave at the end of July.

Cool :yep:
Did you know how to speak Japanese before you go ?
Original post by homeland.lsw
@TheTechN1304 My English teacher was talking about schools in Japan, apparently you have automatic gates which close at exactly the time when school starts...and apparently there was one student who got crushed to death by these gates? Is this true?

Also do you watch NHK World?
Also would you say the school building and features are very modern, or on par with the schools here (in the UK?)

I've heard that story too. Yes it's true. Electronic gates are very rare though (and ones that close at the start of school are even rarer) I don't know any schools that have them.

It's pretty much the complete opposite. The schools are not advanced at all. We have blackboards, very little technology and the buildings are all quite old. If you look at a picture of a Japanese school from 30 years ago, very little would have changed.

Also yes, I sometimes watch NHK world, but I don't really watch that much tv haha
(edited 8 years ago)
I've heard that story too. Yes it's true. Electronic gates are very rare though (and ones that close at the start of school are even rarer) I don't know any schools that have them.

It's pretty much the complete opposite. The schools are not advanced at all. We have blackboards, very little technology and the buildings are all quite old. If you look at a picture of a Japanese school from 30 years ago, very little would have changed.

oh wow...I thought with Japan being so technologically adavanced, the schools would certainly benefit from this...That being said, a few of the classrooms in my school have blackboards too
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Q) Is there any air pollution in Japan in comparison to China and if so to what extent?

Q) Do you feel at times overworked in the Japanese education system on the contrast to UK education?

Q) What education system do you feel is more suited to students or would you say it depends upon the individual?

Air pollution in Japan is very low (lower than the UK) and is on the complete opposite end of the spectrum when compared to China. Occassionally there is some air pollution blown across from China, but not much. The culture of wearing surgical masks is to stop spreading cold/flu and to avoid hayfever (everyone around this time is wearing masks), whereas in China they wear masks because of pollution.

I personally don't feel overworked, but that's because I don't need to work as hard as everyone else. In terms of the workload, I don't really think they get more than I did in the UK (honestly I think they get less), but there is much more of an emphasis here on individual study and revising for exams. In the UK we have GCSEs and A levels, so you need to work hard from 15-18. In Japan, you only have to work hard in your last year of high school, but the work is so intense that's it's extremely stressful. Students will stay behind and work everyday afterschool until 8-10pm.

I think the UK system is more suited to people who want to learn. For A levels, you generally take subjects you're interested in. In Japan, you are given less choice in what you study (literally humanities or sciences, and everyone has to take maths, English and Japanese(classical + modern)), and you study because you need to pass university entrance exams. I'm not sure what it's like for sciences because I chose humanities, but the content you learn is less flexible. I write a lot fewer essays than I did in the UK, and most of the testing is based on memorisation and rote repetition. Not much creativity or giving your opinions. You learn what's on the syllabus and that's it.

Quick Reply

Latest