The Student Room Group

Does cambridge care about unimportant AS/A-Level grades?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NrGtic
I see your point, but if I'm not at a significant disadvantage with 4 As and 1 C instead of just 4 As I'd rather keep ETH Zurich as an option.

Does Zurich have like a minimum requirement that you should get on the Humanity option?
Reply 21
Original post by reinaadira
Does Zurich have like a minimum requirement that you should get on the Humanity option?

A C at AS is the minimum according to
http://www.swissuniversities.ch/en/services/admission-to-universities/countries/great-britain-l/

But I think it would be worth OP asking them to confirm this requirement given they appear to asking for 5 ASs as a minimum which is well above the normal academic requirement for any other university.

Oh, another thought, what about an EPQ instead...?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by jneill
A C at AS is the minimum according to
http://www.swissuniversities.ch/en/services/admission-to-universities/countries/great-britain-l/

But I think it would be worth OP asking them to confirm this requirement given they appear to asking for 5 ASs as a minimum which is well above the normal academic requirement for any other university.

Oh, another thought, what about an EPQ instead...?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, the minimum requirement for AS-Level is 3 subjects. You need 3 A-Levels and 4 further subjects at AS OR GCSE.
Where does it say that the minimum at AS is a C?
I will be doing an engineering related EPQ.
Reply 23
Original post by NrGtic
No, the minimum requirement for AS-Level is 3 subjects. You need 3 A-Levels and 4 further subjects at AS OR GCSE.
Where does it say that the minimum at AS is a C?
I will be doing an engineering related EPQ.

Cool, so why do 6? Your EPQ counts as yet another AS-level.

Says here "at least C", but I'm definitely no expert on Swiss requirements hence why I said to check direct with Zurich.

"England, Wales and Northern Ireland::dolphin:Upper secondary school-leaving certificate including 6 independent general education subjects, each one with at least grade C (or M3 for Pre-U, as from 2015 also 4 for GCSE). At least 3 subjects must be at level GCE AL / AICE AL / Pre-U Principal Subject (one of which must be mathematics or another natural sciences subject), 1 GCE AS / AICE AS / Pre-U Short Course and 2 GCSE"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by jneill
Cool, so why do 6? Your EPQ counts as yet another AS-level.

Says here "at least C", but I'm definitely no expert on Swiss requirements hence why I said to check direct with Zurich.

"England, Wales and Northern Ireland::dolphin:Upper secondary school-leaving certificate including 6 independent general education subjects, each one with at least grade C (or M3 for Pre-U, as from 2015 also 4 for GCSE). At least 3 subjects must be at level GCE AL / AICE AL / Pre-U Principal Subject (one of which must be mathematics or another natural sciences subject), 1 GCE AS / AICE AS / Pre-U Short Course and 2 GCSE"

Posted from TSR Mobile

This doesn't apply to ETH Zurich though (abbreviation ETHZ)
Original post by NrGtic
I see your point, but if I'm not at a significant disadvantage with 4 As and 1 C instead of just 4 As I'd rather keep ETH Zurich as an option.

You have to remember you're not guaranteed 4As and 1C. Play it safe and just do 4 AS subjects. Things could go so, so wrong over the next few weeks and months.
Reply 26
Original post by NrGtic
This doesn't apply to ETH Zurich though (abbreviation ETHZ)

Fair enough, but we are not the experts on Swiss requirements anyway. Speak to your uni.

But this says GCSE is fine? "Or GCSE"

ETHZ
England, Wales and Northern Ireland: GCE with 3 Advanced Levels or Cambridge Pre-U (Principal Subjects) in: 1. mathematics; 2. physics or chemistry or biology, 3. language of instruction or foreign language with minimum grade B (A-Levels) resp. M 2 (Cambridge Pre-U Principal Subjects) in each of these 3 subjects and at least 4 additional subjects GCE AS, Cambridge Pre-U Short Courses or (I)GCSE* in the last 3 years of secondary education of the following: physics; natural sciences; geometry; computer science; 1 language only, geography; history; economics. Otherwise: Reduced Entrance Examination ETH Zurich.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by jneill
Fair enough, but we are not the experts on Swiss requirements anyway. Speak to your uni.

But this says GCSE is fine? "Or GCSE"

ETHZ
England, Wales and Northern Ireland: GCE with 3 Advanced Levels or Cambridge Pre-U (Principal Subjects) in: 1. mathematics; 2. physics or chemistry or biology, 3. language of instruction or foreign language with minimum grade B (A-Levels) resp. M 2 (Cambridge Pre-U Principal Subjects) in each of these 3 subjects and at least 4 additional subjects GCE AS, Cambridge Pre-U Short Courses or (I)GCSE* in the last 3 years of secondary education of the following: physics; natural sciences; geometry; computer science; 1 language only, geography; history; economics. Otherwise: Reduced Entrance Examination ETH Zurich.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending