The Student Room Group

Accommodation in Cambridge

Hey guys,

I have probably a bit of unusual situation. Originally I'm from Lithuania but been studying in Sweden for the last 3 years for my Master. Got accepted as a PhD student in University of York but going to do all the necessary stuff back in Cambridge (not at the UoC directly, but at the company in Granta Park)

Does anybody have any idea if you're still considered as a 'student' in Cambridge even though you're registered way back in York in terms of housing searching via UoC and private/renting companies (so they would rent places for you being a 'student')? If so, does anybody have any suggestions what would be the best websites to look for housing? Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by avsurround
Hey guys,

I have probably a bit of unusual situation. Originally I'm from Lithuania but been studying in Sweden for the last 3 years for my Master. Got accepted as a PhD student in University of York but going to do all the necessary stuff back in Cambridge (not at the UoC directly, but at the company in Granta Park)

Does anybody have any idea if you're still considered as a 'student' in Cambridge even though you're registered way back in York in terms of housing searching via UoC and private/renting companies (so they would rent places for you being a 'student':wink:? If so, does anybody have any suggestions what would be the best websites to look for housing? Thanks!

I doubt it, unless York can facilitate something.

You aren't a Cambridge University student so you can't use their accommodation office for assistance.

You could, though, rent privately as an independent person. You would need to check the rental agreement of the the private landlords, but considering there are ARU as well as Cambridge students in the town renting privately you may be OK.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
I doubt it, unless York can facilitate something.

You aren't a Cambridge University student so you can't use their accommodation office for assistance.

You could, though, rent privately as an independent person. You would need to check the rental agreement of the the private landlords, but considering there are UEA as well as Cambridge students in the town renting privately you may be OK.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You must've meant ARU (Anglian Ruskin University). UEA is in Norwich ......

To OP.
It's very unlikely you'll get accommodation from the University of Cambridge as you're not their member, unless there's special arrangement between York and Cambridge for your situation. Maybe it's worth talking to York if they can ask Cambridge about it.
But there're plenty of private accommodation in Cambridge as many of postgraduates and visiting academics rent privately.
You can easily find and contact them online. They're used to deal with someone with similar need as yours.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by vincrows
You must've meant ARU (Anglian Ruskin University). UEA is in Norwich ......

Indeed! Corrected :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending