The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Should I study at King's College or American University?

American university in DC offered me a scholarship and a place in their honours programme.. but the school itself is simply not as prestigious as Kings. I am studying international relations and I am Lebanese-American. What do you think?
What do you want to do? Users on here can tell you why but ultimately its your choice.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Real question is could you cope with Trump if he's elected
Original post by Rhythmical
What do you want to do? Users on here can tell you why but ultimately its your choice.

I am interested in starting a business eventually, but I want an undergrad that allows me some room to diversify if I want. I'm thinking that being unsure is probably a better idea in the US.
Original post by Sugarpuffx
Real question is could you cope with Trump if he's elected

.. Being Arab-American under Trump would not be fun
I would go with the scholarship
Original post by yasminathomure
I am interested in starting a business eventually, but I want an undergrad that allows me some room to diversify if I want. I'm thinking that being unsure is probably a better idea in the US.

On one hand, you can get everything paid for and explore a new country, the other is shelling out loads of money and being in one of the most expensive places to study but live in a familiar territory. I would say go abroad but only if you are committed and can be independent.
Ask this on College Confidential as well. You may get some bias towards KCL on here
I don't think you should look at how prestige a university is when selecting. I think for a more diverse and liberal education, choose the US but for a more focused on one subject education, it's the UK.
I had to make a decision of Harvard vs Oxford and I'm picking Harvard because of their liberal system and because they actually care about students- unlike Oxford (well, from what I have experienced by visiting both).
Original post by Normal.Person
I don't think you should look at how prestige a university is when selecting. I think for a more diverse and liberal education, choose the US but for a more focused on one subject education, it's the UK.
I had to make a decision of Harvard vs Oxford and I'm picking Harvard because of their liberal system and because they actually care about students- unlike Oxford (well, from what I have experienced by visiting both).

Wow... thats a great position to be in. Congrats! Boston is a great place to be a university student. I'd have to agree, I really do like the US system. I've been in a British school for the past four years and while I think the British system is harder, I don't think it's better. The wiggle room for transferring and the general freedom of studies in American is nice.
Original post by Normal.Person

I guess from your post it's coincidental, but I'd argue they're just as prestigious as each other, if not Harvard having slightly more :tongue:
Thank you! Wish you the best of luck with whatever you end up doing!:smile:
Reply 12
Original post by yasminathomure
American university in DC offered me a scholarship and a place in their honours programme.. but the school itself is simply not as prestigious as Kings. I am studying international relations and I am Lebanese-American. What do you think?

Hey there! I was in a similar position as you. Then after weighing the options these were my reasons for committing to KCL:
- Less money for tuition. Even with a decent scholarship KCL comes out less
- three years instead of four
- london is a hub for International Relations (so is D.C. but London is more international for my taste)
- Like you said, prestige! King's is top 20

Ultimately it is your choice so weigh your options carefully...

Quick Reply