The Student Room Group

Why are we told all women are beautiful, but not all men?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Supersaps
I don't think men have the same desire to be beautiful as women do. For the most part anyway.

If you gave me a choice between being strong and beautiful, I'd choose strong everyday. And we'd probably be considered good-looking just for being strong, anyway.

SS

What do you mean by strong? I'd rather not look like a goblin with muscles, that doesn't make me self-conscious though.
I don't mean being super muscled, I just mean being physically/mentally strong.
Original post by CON5P1RACY K1D
Most men aren't self conscious about they way the look

lies.

Go and out call a man an ugly **** and he will be offended.
Original post by Anonymous
Just curious. I'm female myself. But I hear so much talk of all women's bodies are beautiful but no one ever says it about men. Why does body and beauty acceptance not apply to men? For instance no one says bald or short men are beautiful, and they don't demand that society sees it as so they just seem to get on with it. I think there are unrealistic beauty standards for both men and women so it doesn't make sense to me that people don't parade around declaring all men are beautiful, handsome etc if they are going to do it for women.

I think it's a lie that all women are beautiful. Beauty takes work in my opinion. You need good hygiene, diet, activity levels, grooming, decent clothing etc. Women (and men for that matter) who are revered in the media have glam squads, personal trainers etc.

And even if we are talking inner beauty, there are a lot of horrible, selfish people in the world.

Agree.

It is sad that men largely go through life never getting any compliments or acknowledgment for how they look.
Original post by greatguy480
lies.

Where are the dolphins?
Original post by stefano865
Agree.

It is sad that men largely go through life never getting any compliments or acknowledgment for how they look.

Only jesters need applause
Original post by Charles_2nd
Only jesters need applause

:eviltongue:
Men are the more realistic sex.
Original post by stefano865
:eviltongue:

Careful with that tongue, i'll have it off and serve it to my aunt's cat.
because if you tell your girlfriend shes not beautiful she'll be cool with it :smile:
Original post by greatguy480
lies.

Really depends on the individual but I see what your saying
I don't actually think anyone has answered this question correctly yet :colonhash:

It's obviously because women are "supposed" to be beautiful, they always have been. Even in religion etc...

Anyway men don't have the same pressure to be beautiful as they do to "provide", to be strong and masculine etc.

But the female beauty is almost expected of women, also men are far more shallow when looking for a partner, women aren't as shallow when it comes to a guys looks (probably because of the way we have been wired ^).
Because if a girl ever says not all the men are good-looking, it's called freedom of expression
And when a man says not all the girls are beautiful , it's masochism.
Welcome on planet Earth my dear

And I think it's a lie as well, everyone CAN be beautiful/good looking, not everyone is. Because actually some people do not even care about their appareance or even the way they are inside. Sad truth, but still truth
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I don't actually think anyone has answered this question correctly yet :colonhash:

It's obviously because women are "supposed" to be beautiful, they always have been. Even in religion etc...

Anyway men don't have the same pressure to be beautiful as they do to "provide", to be strong and masculine etc.

But the female beauty is almost expected of women, also men are far more shallow when looking for a partner, women aren't as shallow when it comes to a guys looks (probably because of the way we have been wired ^).

Lies. Women are just as shallow if not more. The idea that men are shallow is also exaggerated. Most men settle for less.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by CON5P1RACY K1D
Most men aren't self conscious about they way the look

I am, I care about how I look + my aesthetics .... :dumbells: :drool:

U Mirin' Brah?

I think it's a lie that all women are beautiful. Beauty takes work in my opinion. You need good hygiene, diet, activity levels, grooming, decent clothing etc. Women (and men for that matter) who are revered in the media have glam squads, personal trainers etc.

And even if we are talking inner beauty, there are a lot of horrible, selfish people in the world.

You can't have the rose without its thorn.
Reply 36
Just curious. I'm female myself. But I hear so much talk of all women's bodies are beautiful but no one ever says it about men. Why does body and beauty acceptance not apply to men? For instance no one says bald or short men are beautiful, and they don't demand that society sees it as so they just seem to get on with it. I think there are unrealistic beauty standards for both men and women so it doesn't make sense to me that people don't parade around declaring all men are beautiful, handsome etc if they are going to do it for women.

Stephen Crowder I think makes some good points on this
Reply 37
I don't think that's true. I think there are pressures and expectations on men too. For instance most guys try and hit the gym at least once to try and get ripped, though most give up. There's a good number of men who turn to steroids and god knows what else to improve their body and risking their healthy. No one is saying they are handsome no matter that.

I never felt that pressure.
Original post by Saeed9710
Because lying is a sin. And sin comes from satan. And satan is embodied in the emotions of women.

Except there is no such thing as Satan.
Original post by Mauryan
Lies. Women are just as shallow if not more. The idea that men are shallow is also exaggerated. Most men settle for less.

Men are shallow when it comes to looks. I've seen more good looking girls with less attractive guys than the other way around.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending