The Student Room Group

Squats yay, Deadlifts nay

Deadlift working weight is only slightly more than my back squat. (Tend to work in the 3-6 range for these lifts). Is this unusual?
Depends on your form, leverages, programming, strength level, commitment etc
Original post by Angry cucumber
Depends on your form, leverages, programming, strength level, commitment etc

I'm quite tall and don't have great grip strength, think it's probably that. Also can push myself more on squats than deads as I don't want to snap my back up, or is that preventable through 'good form'?
Original post by TheFarmerLad
I'm quite tall and don't have great grip strength, think it's probably that. Also can push myself more on squats than deads as I don't want to snap my back up, or is that preventable through 'good form'?

Do you use chalk or straps?
Your more likely to snap your back up squatting if there is a difference in likelyhood. Your form is off if you feel deadlifts on in your back for that matter.

What is your squat vs deadlift?
Your more likely to snap your back up squatting if there is a difference in likelyhood. Your form is off if you feel deadlifts on in your back for that matter.

I sometimes use straps but usually just go raw.
Yeh :frown: deadlift form is hard to maintain when going heavy. Are you saying that you should feel it more in your glutes/hams?

185 x 5 squat
193 x 5 deadlift
I sometimes use straps but usually just go raw.
Yeh :frown: deadlift form is hard to maintain when going heavy. Are you saying that you should feel it more in your glutes/hams?

185 x 5 squat
193 x 5 deadlift

There's your problem. Spend a 5er and buy some liquid chalk. Chalk is raw, without it your limited by the moisture on your hands, not your grip strength

And glutes and hams should be felt when deadlifting along with your entire back. Using chalk will make your form better as you'll not be failing on your grip.

If you use chalk, use a mixed grip or hook grip. Double overhand is much weaker
There's your problem. Spend a 5er and buy some liquid chalk. Chalk is raw, without it your limited by the moisture on your hands, not your grip strength

And glutes and hams should be felt when deadlifting along with your entire back. Using chalk will make your form better as you'll not be failing on your grip.

If you use chalk, use a mixed grip or hook grip. Double overhand is much weaker

Ah okay. Not sure if the gym owner would be too happy if there's chalk all over his barbell though!
Ah okay. Not sure if the gym owner would be too happy if there's chalk all over his barbell though!

I've never had a problem with liquid chalk and gym owners. If they get funny, use straps (but do double overhand when using them)

Why? Lower back plays a significant (isometric) role in the deadlift, I feel DOMS there quite regularly.

Spoiler

This stuff is great.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by hezzlington
Why? Lower back plays a significant (isometric) role in the deadlift, I feel DOMS there quite regularly.

Spoiler

This stuff is great.

Cheers for that link mate, and sorry for this late response!
Original post by hezzlington

Spoiler

This stuff is great.

There is a difference between "feeling it in your lower back" while actually deadlifting and getting DOMS/pump/fatigue.

Quick Reply

Latest