The Student Room Group

postgrad help

Hello
My name is mecha and I am a mechatronics engineering (honours degree) graduate from Birzeit university, Palestine with GPA 3.1 and I intend to apply for masters degree in mechatronics in the UK, and I would like to ask you guys what are my chances to get accepted in Glasgow or Newcastle universities as an international student?

I would like to note that most of the students in my college and major are around 3.0 or above and very rare students reach the 3.5 or 3.6 maximum, and yes a very hard university.
I also would like to mention that I have a very wide experience in that I have built so much projects from quadcopters to complete solar panel systems and so so so so many projects, to the limit that I almost built everything that you can see online, my graduation project was a vacuum cleaner but because of the lack of information and many problems, it was only based on an instructional code and I would like to fix that in the my postgraduate project, I also do not use pre made electronics, what i mean is that I prefer to build everything from scratch, For example, I have built the solar panel from charge controller to converter to soldering the solar cells and the stand. I have done all with my bare hands and so every project I have ever built.
I am open to any suggestion and please honesty. thank you so much.

also if 3.1 didnt get me in, do you think that I would be considered for pre masters for glasgow university for example ?
Nobody here can tell you if you'd be accepted, you need to ask the postgraduate admission tutors at those universities. Send them an email and see what they say.
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
Nobody here can tell you if you'd be accepted, you need to ask the postgraduate admission tutors at those universities. Send them an email and see what they say.

they said that I should apply first, but I though that you guys have experience in such situations.
thank you.
Reply 3
Hi Meha, if you check the Glasgow university website, you will find that you need a 2:2 or minimum 3.0 GPA for admission. Also, a 2:1 is required in your core components, although I am not sure what these are for
mechatronics. I am sure you will know better.

In any case, the university states that even if students have lower grades than the minimum stated, they can attend a pre-masters course at the Glasgow international college. Since you have a 3.1 gpa and the minimum is 3.0, I think you have a good chance of getting at least a pre-masters, although I can't say for sure.

www.gla.ac.uk/postgraduate/taught/mechatronics

As for Newcastle, you need a 2:2 degree for a 12 month Msc in mechatronics, and a 2:1 for the 24 month MSC. Again, even if you have lower scores, the university states that applications are considered on a case-by-case basis and your practical experience might be taken into account. You have a 3.1 GPA or 2:2, so I think you stand a chance for the 12 month MSC, and your practical experience and knowledge might also count in your favour for the 24 month MSC.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/postgraduate/courses/degrees/mechatronics-msc/

Please don't be discouraged. Go ahead and apply. Best of luck. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by stuvetus
Hi Meha, if you check the Glasgow university website, you will find that you need a 2:2 or minimum 3.0 GPA for admission. Also, a 2:1 is required in your core components, although I am not sure what these are for
mechatronics. I am sure you will know better.

In any case, the university states that even if students have lower grades than the minimum stated, they can attend a pre-masters course at the Glasgow international college. Since you have a 3.1 gpa and the minimum is 3.0, I think you have a good chance of getting at least a pre-masters, although I can't say for sure.

www.gla.ac.uk/postgraduate/taught/mechatronics

As for Newcastle, you need a 2:2 degree for a 12 month Msc in mechatronics, and a 2:1 for the 24 month MSC. Again, even if you have lower scores, the university states that applications are considered on a case-by-case basis and your practical experience might be taken into account. You have a 3.1 GPA or 2:2, so I think you stand a chance for the 12 month MSC, and your practical experience and knowledge might also count in your favour for the 24 month MSC.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/postgraduate/courses/degrees/mechatronics-msc/

Please don't be discouraged. Go ahead and apply. Best of luck. :smile:

thank you and I did read all of you have mentioned earlier. But still do you know what the moderate gpa that will probably get you in glagow ? and for newcastle?
Reply 5
Original post by meha7
thank you and I did read all of you have mentioned earlier. But still do you know what the moderate gpa that will probably get you in glagow ? and for newcastle?

I can't say for certain. What you should do is contact the postgraduate admission team and ask. Good luck. :smile:

Glasgow

[email protected]

Newcastle

[email protected]

Pre-masters at Glasgow international college

https://www.kic.org.uk/glasgow/courses/pre-masters/science-engineering/
Reply 6
Original post by stuvetus
I can't say for certain. What you should do is contact the postgraduate admission team and ask. Good luck. :smile:

Glasgow

[email protected]

Newcastle

[email protected]

Pre-masters at Glasgow international college

https://www.kic.org.uk/glasgow/courses/pre-masters/science-engineering/

i did and newcastle recommended me to apply, but glasgow didnt respone only with some stupid message, the pre-master glasgow responded that they will assign an adviser and that happened since 3 days... nothing from then until now.
Reply 7
Original post by meha7
i did and newcastle recommended me to apply, but glasgow didnt respone only with some stupid message, the pre-master glasgow responded that they will assign an adviser and that happened since 3 days... nothing from then until now.

Well, firstly, I suppose you should follow up Newcastle's advice and apply. Concerning Glasgow, wait for them to get back to you, or email them to clarify your status. Best of luck. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending