The Student Room Group

One month for the English language exam from today

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ScienceFantatic
Lucky I'm doing the component that's a 100 percent exam( including s+ l exam).

Ah I too did the s&l exam :smile: out of 30 right?

Original post by zXcodeXz
How do you get an A* in coursework and what exam board are you with?

caitlinford3

CIE & pretty easily, follow the instructions set & you're allowed to redraft :smile:
Original post by caitlinford3

CIE & pretty easily, follow the instructions set & you're allowed to redraft :smile:

My exam board is edexcel and the teacher is willing to help with my coursework as she will only help to get my target grade and it isn't good what shall I do?
Original post by zXcodeXz
My exam board is edexcel and the teacher is willing to help with my coursework as she will only help to get my target grade and it isn't good what shall I do?

Well she can't write it for you, just keep redrafting and remember to consider interesting ideas, sentence structure and vocab :smile:
Original post by Johnnymaughan999
Lol I've got 60% A* coursework so I'm looking forward to it

how many marks do you need on the coursework for an A*?
Well she can't write it for you, just keep redrafting and remember to consider interesting ideas, sentence structure and vocab :smile:

Ok thanks :smile:
Me too, component 0522 I think it's called. It stands for speaking and listening. :smile:

Ah - I'm definitely not doing that. I wonder what I'm doing instead?

How do you find Paper 2?
Original post by metellaest
Ah - I'm definitely not doing that. I wonder what I'm doing instead?

How do you find Paper 2?

Ah, I do paper 2,3 and speaking and listening

I find paper 2 quite easy tbh, and there are low grade boundaries which makes it awesome.

Paper 3 is much harder for me though

How about you?
Ah, I do paper 2,3 and speaking and listening

I find paper 2 quite easy tbh, and there are low grade boundaries which makes it awesome.

Paper 3 is much harder for me though

How about you?

I find that the first question of Paper 2 is weirdly marked, but the rest of it is fine. The main problem is that whenever we do it as a practice, the teachers at my school set ridiculously high grade boundaries (92% for an A*!) which I'm fairly sure the real thing isn't like - is it more like 70%?

Paper 3 question 1 is good, but I cannot write a decent description in an hour for part 2. I'm good at writing long stories at home, but what I produce in an exam is always cliché and pretty awful...
I got a B in my coursework so I need to get A* or else my life will be over
Original post by metellaest
I find that the first question of Paper 2 is weirdly marked, but the rest of it is fine. The main problem is that whenever we do it as a practice, the teachers at my school set ridiculously high grade boundaries (92% for an A*!) which I'm fairly sure the real thing isn't like - is it more like 70%?

Paper 3 question 1 is good, but I cannot write a decent description in an hour for part 2. I'm good at writing long stories at home, but what I produce in an exam is always cliché and pretty awful...

You can't really get an A* with this board for individual components anyway, only when it's all added up. I agree 92 is way to high, but it's probably because this exam board mark really harshly, so they don't want to set you up for disappointment?

I'm not really sure what you're doing to be fair if you're not doing speaking and listening. But you needed 93/125 for an A* last year for my syllabus( from paper 2,3 and speaking and listening).

Since I got 25/25 in s+l, I'd need an average of 34/50 on both papers to get an A*. Which is pretty low :smile:

Are you sure you're not havingg an oral exam? Cause I thought this was the only component to do paper 2 and 3.
(edited 7 years ago)

Yeah but I think it's actually out of 25. It is scaled down, I don't really understand why though.
You can't really get an A* with this board for individual components anyway, only when it's all added up, so not sure why your school does, 93 is way to high, but it's probably because this exam board mark really harshly, so they don't want to set you up for disappointment?

I'm not really sure what you're doing to be fair if you're not doing speaking and listening aha! But you needed 93/125 for an A* last year for my syllabus( from paper 2,3 and speaking and listening).

Since I got 25/25 in s+l, I'd need an average of 34/50 on both papers to get an A*. Which is pretty low :smile:

Are you sure you're not have an oral exam? Cause I thought this was the only component to do paper 2 and 3.

Just checked the website - they say this:

Centres may also choose to enter candidates for the Speaking and Listening Test or for the Speakingand Listening Coursework. Marks for these optional components do not contribute to the overall gradecandidates receive for the written components. Instead, where candidates perform to an appropriatestandard, certificates record achievement of grades 1 (high) to 5 (low).

So I don't think my school is doing it all. And I think you're right about the boundaries - my teacher said that in literature, she sets the boundaries high because in the real thing, the boundaries are lower but the papers are marked slightly more harshly....

Anyway, best of luck - I'm sure you'll get your A* :smile:
Yeah but I think it's actually out of 25. It is scaled down, I don't really understand why though.

out of 30 ain't it? 10 marks for the speech, 10 marks listening & 10 marks speaking? :s-smilie:
Reply 33
Definitely without any issues :smile: CIE are really lenient with their grade boundaries (or so I feel) & you can totally get that A*!

Thanks! My teacher has a spreadsheet at school that tells you roughly how much grades you require for each grade. So i will ask her for the amount of marks i have to get roughly to get that A*. BTW do you know anywhere where i can look at the past papers grade boundaries?

Quick Reply

Latest