The Student Room Group

Leicester or Durham medical school firm choice

I've got two offers, does anyone have any advice on how to choose which to firm?
Depends what you want. I'd personally easily choose Leicester any day of the week because it's in a nice big city with plenty to do and is one large campus. At Durham you'd be studying in Queen's Campus which is in Stockton-on-Tees (not the nicest town in the country and not as much to do) and with fewer students as the majority of Durham students would be living in Durham, and you'd have to move to Newcastle after your third year leaving your friends behind.
Reply 2
Original post by cosmic angel
Depends what you want. I'd personally easily choose Leicester any day of the week because it's in a nice big city with plenty to do and is one large campus. At Durham you'd be studying in Queen's Campus which is in Stockton-on-Tees (not the nicest town in the country and not as much to do) and with fewer students as the majority of Durham students would be living in Durham, and you'd have to move to Newcastle after your third year leaving your friends behind.

okay, thank you so much! that's really helpful :smile:
I've accepted my offer to Durham. As a Durham student you'll also be a Newcastle Medical Student.

Newcastle is 9th in the country for Medicine and Leicester is 25th...if you want to go by best Medical education you go for Durham/Newcastle.

Within half a mile of Queen's Campus accommodatio is £50-60/week as standard (that's pretty cheap).

In terms of hospitals on the Durham/Newcastle patch, D/N have two major trauma centres...Leicester have none. I don't know about tertiary centres in the midlands but D/N one of the biggest and best in the country (Freeman Hospital).
(edited 8 years ago)
When I've visited people have said that they generally stay at the clinical base unit near Stockton, so they're there for 3 years; like a normal degree.

Don't just listen to me though :P it depends what you want to get out of uni.
Reply 5
Original post by Medicnohoperno.9
I've accepted my offer to Durham. As a Durham student you'll also be a Newcastle Medical Student.

Newcastle is 9th in the country for Medicine and Leicester is 25th...if you want to go by best Medical education you go for Durham/Newcastle.

Within half a mile of Queen's Campus accommodatio is £50-60/week as standard (that's pretty cheap).

In terms of hospitals on the Durham/Newcastle patch, D/N have two major trauma centres...Leicester have none. I don't know about tertiary centres in the midlands but D/N one of the biggest and best in the country (Freeman Hospital).

thanks so much for all the detail! yeah there's so many things to weigh up!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending