The Student Room Group

What is your response to this article?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
:bump:
Tbh I suck so much at physics that I don't know what to say xD
I haven't the least idea why you have quoted me in. I know nothing about physics and am perfectly happy to see out the rest of my days in that state, but thank you for thinking of me.
Reply 5
Original post by FrenchUnicorn
Tbh I suck so much at physics that I don't know what to say xD

Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I haven't the least idea why you have quoted me in. I know nothing about physics and am perfectly happy to see out the rest of my days in that state, but thank you for thinking of me.

yw :smile:

It's just about what you think...

I have to talk about how the public perceived a well-known science article...

So I chose some members of the public :smile:

So, wahtdya think?
I'm a huge physics nerd, hearing about research picking up in this field is absolutely wonderful, so naturally it was: :h::h::h::h:

That being said though, looking for extra dimensions will be helpful to explain variations in gravitational strength but I feel it will be frustrating for us all that we will never be able to picture them, we use 1D to see 2D, 3D to see 4D, but we need 4D to perceive 5D and so on, those aren't feasible

I'm a huge fan of CERN's dedication though
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kyx
yw :smile:

It's just about what you think...

I have to talk about how the public perceived a well-known science article...

So I chose some members of the public :smile:

So, wahtdya think?

Umm.. It's an article that I would flip over without reading, I'm afraid. It has no relevance to my life and I don't have any understanding of why it is important, or why I should be interested. I'm really sorry - I would like to help and if you have specific questions about it, I will try to answer them. I have had students who went on a trip to Cern and tried to enthuse me about it, but even they failed, so I think you may not get what you need from me unless you prompt me in the right direction.
Tbh I don't know what to say ! As I'm not interested by physics, this wont change my life, but I'm happy to see that research is going well :h:
Reply 9
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Umm.. It's an article that I would flip over without reading, I'm afraid. It has no relevance to my life and I don't have any understanding of why it is important, or why I should be interested. I'm really sorry - I would like to help and if you have specific questions about it, I will try to answer them. I have had students who went on a trip to Cern and tried to enthuse me about it, but even they failed, so I think you may not get what you need from me unless you prompt me in the right direction.

Original post by FrenchUnicorn
Tbh I don't know what to say ! As I'm not interested by physics, this wont change my life, but I'm happy to see that research is going well :h:

This is good enough, thx :smile:
Reply 10
BTW, the world wide web was invented at CERN, so it probably does affect you... :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by meediaabid
I'm a huge physics nerd, hearing about research picking up in this field is absolutely wonderful, so naturally it was: :h::h::h::h:

That being said though, looking for extra dimensions will be helpful to explain variations in gravitational strength but I feel it will be frustrating for us all that we will never be able to picture them, we use 1D to see 2D, 3D to see 4D, but we need 4D to perceive 5D and so on, those aren't feasible

I'm a huge fan of CERN's dedication though

Apparently it was a race between CERN and LIGO to find gravitational waves, bur LIGO won :smile:
Original post by Kyx
BTW, the world wide web was invented at CERN, so it probably does affect you... :smile:

I guess it does, but ... meh.
Original post by Kyx
Apparently it was a race between CERN and LIGO to find gravitational waves, bur LIGO won :smile:

Oh my gosh yes! And LIGO won pretty recently too, those detectors in America found patterns in background waves if I recall correctly, my physics teacher made us all watch the news headline on it :h:
Reply 14
Oh my gosh yes! And LIGO won pretty recently too, those detectors in America found patterns in background waves if I recall correctly, my physics teacher made us all watch the news headline on it :h:

Yes
If only the LHC had discovered the graviton!
Original post by Kyx
Yes
If only the LHC had discovered the graviton!

I feel the same ~shakes fist at nothing in particular~

However, at least it was successful in finding the Higgs Boson, some say that could lead into the discovery of even heavier particles
Reply 16
I feel the same ~shakes fist at nothing in particular~

However, at least it was successful in finding the Higgs Boson, some say that could lead into the discovery of even heavier particles

Do you know how the higgs boson gives particles mass?
Original post by Kyx
Do you know how the higgs boson gives particles mass?

Technically it makes mass through particle interaction, especially in a Higgs field but yes
Reply 18
Technically it makes mass through particle interaction, especially in a Higgs field but yes

I see
You are good at physics :tongue:
Original post by Kyx
I see
You are good at physics :tongue:

I hope I am, my exam is in little over a month!:biggrin: but thank you, glad to see you take an interest in it

Quick Reply

Latest