The Student Room Group

Can I divide both sides by tan(x)?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Zacken
It shows that tanx\tan x can't/doesn't equal 0, not just xx. It's an important distinction.

I think I understand. It takes a while for some of these math concepts to really sink in : / but it's definitely clearer now.
Reply 21
Original post by the81kid
I think I understand. It takes a while for some of these math concepts to really sink in : / but it's definitely clearer now.

What are you final solutions?
Reply 22
Original post by Zacken
What are you final solutions?

Do you mean which A-level module?
Reply 23
Do you mean which A-level module?

No, for this question, what are the final answers you get? :tongue:
Reply 24
Original post by Zacken
No, for this question, what are the final answers you get? :tongue:

Ah, haha. I get x= π/4 , π3/4
Reply 25
Ah, haha. I get x= π/4 , π3/4

Yep! :biggrin:
Reply 26
Original post by Zacken
Yep! :biggrin:

I understand almost everything, but once in a while something comes up which I don't understand and I want to understand - instead of just accepting it. That could cause problems in the exams, if I don't understand exactly how it works.

Tbh, I may have made a mistake. I'm a "mature" student (34) and I really wanted to get out of my job this year and to a university degree/master's I want. One of my options wanted this a-level. So I entered myself for the exams before I'd learned much of the maths. I've quit almost all my work hours and learned nearly half the A-level maths, but there's still about 1 1/2 months til the first math exams. I'm getting a bit panicky now. I may have been a bit rash in registering myself.

In any case, many thanks for your help! It helps me a lot.
Reply 27
I understand almost everything, but once in a while something comes up which I don't understand and I want to understand - instead of just accepting it. That could cause problems in the exams, if I don't understand exactly how it works.

Tbh, I may have made a mistake. I'm a "mature" student (34) and I really wanted to get out of my job this year and to a university degree/master's I want. One of my options wanted this a-level. So I entered myself for the exams before I'd learned much of the maths. I've quit almost all my work hours and learned nearly half the A-level maths, but there's still about 1 1/2 months til the first math exams. I'm getting a bit panicky now. I may have been a bit rash in registering myself.

In any case, many thanks for your help! It helps me a lot.

Oh, that's admirable. I did something similar, although I'm seventeen, I quit school and self-taught myself A-Level Maths, Further Maths and Physics in 3 months and sat the exams this Jan. If I can do it, then so can you. I know that feeling of panic all too well, but you just gotta keep your cool and it'll end up fine.

Good luck!
Reply 28
Original post by Zacken
Oh, that's admirable. I did something similar, although I'm seventeen, I quit school and self-taught myself A-Level Maths, Further Maths and Physics in 3 months and sat the exams this Jan. If I can do it, then so can you. I know that feeling of panic all too well, but you just gotta keep your cool and it'll end up fine.

Good luck!

Wow, my hero! I taught myself Math GCSE back when I was 17. It sounds like you have a really good head for maths though. I consider myself better than average, and I love to learn, but I don't think I'm any genius. This math a-level is definitely doable, but there's a limit to how fast I can absorb it.

Congratulations on your a-levels! I've got maths and biology, although that's pretty easy, it's really just a memory test. I'll try to keep my cool.

Quick Reply

Latest