The Student Room Group

What's the point of AS level?

so a lot of people take 4 subjects and drop one in the second year, the one they drop is AS levels...which isn't a qualification by itself, so why do they take it and drop one? does it have a value?
Are you referring to just your year or those who are older as well?
Reply 2
Original post by Vikingninja
Are you referring to just your year or those who are older as well?

those who are older, would they be able to apply to a maths uni course with maths AS levels but not A levels. if they can't then why would they pick it then drop it?
My teachers say that AS exams are used as predictions for A2/A Levels and can help the students to prepare themselves. the AS qualification does have value, but only if it is dropped. Otherwise it becomes the full A Level.
Reply 4
It is a qualification, it's just a little different to what it was before.

Why do a fourth AS and then drop it? Breadth. It's great if you don't know what route to go down. You can take 2 science subjects and 2 arts subjects, and you will drop one of them and can work towards a particular route.

So for me I do Maths, Biology, History and Politics. I'm either dropping History or Biology. Therefore at the end of Y13 I'll have either:
- Maths, Biology and Politics (prep for a science degree)
- Maths, Politics and History (prep for an arts degree)

It's also good if you know what you want to do but want to develop other skills. It's common to take Maths, two sciences and a humanity.
2 things
1: adds UCAS points, some unis do base it on this somewhat and it can help in clearing
2: allows you to keep your options more open for uni. Having 4 subjects means you will have more to choose and so drop the subject which is least important to what you finally want to do.
Reply 6
well i thought it counts but i dont really know im considering doing futher maths for AS but is there really any point because like what if it dont count. i'd feel so stupid for wasting my time lmao.
Reply 7
Original post by Vikingninja
2 things
1: adds UCAS points, some unis do base it on this somewhat and it can help in clearing
2: allows you to keep your options more open for uni. Having 4 subjects means you will have more to choose and so drop the subject which is least important to what you finally want to do.

And let's not forget it gives unis a rough idea of your performance when you apply. This is why most unis are so against the new change in A-Levels.
Reply 8
Original post by jamestg

Why do a fourth AS and then drop it? Breadth. It's great if you don't know what route to go down. You can take 2 science subjects and 2 arts subjects, and you will drop one of them and can work towards a particular route.

So for me I do Maths, Biology, History and Politics. I'm either dropping History or Biology. Therefore at the end of Y13 I'll have either:

It's also good if you know what you want to do but want to develop other skills. It's common to take Maths, two sciences and a humanity.

thats so similar to what I'm considering, im thinking of history, geography, maths and bio but was reluctant but seeing as how you've chose it, i might actually do it now
Reply 9
Definitely do it!

That's a good mix :smile:
Original post by jamestg

Same here :eek: how are you deciding which one to drop? i'm thinking biology but not 100% x
Original post by CoolCavy
Same here :eek: how are you deciding which one to drop? i'm thinking biology but not 100% x

i reckon you'd drop the one with lowest grade? xD

On the basis of revision, I think biology will be the one to drop too!!

It's interesting but content heavy and there is so much work for it! History is more relevant to what I want to do and although there is a lot of stuff to know - it sinks in quicker.
i get roughly the same in both tho :lol: that's what makes it hard :colondollar:

Original post by jamestg
On the basis of revision, I think biology will be the one to drop too!!

It's interesting but content heavy and there is so much work for it! History is more relevant to what I want to do and although there is a lot of stuff to know - it sinks in quicker.

yes! same, biology is harder to learn imo, history just as you say sinks in quicker, plus i haatttee the exam questions for biology -_- the history questions are so much more straightforward and easier to get marks it :redface:
i get roughly the same in both tho :lol: that's what makes it hard :colondollar:

yes! same, biology is harder to learn imo, history just as you say sinks in quicker, plus i haatttee the exam questions for biology -_- the history questions are so much more straightforward and easier to get marks it :redface:

I feel you!

Ahhh I just hope I get an A in both, but I doubt it lmao :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest