The Student Room Group

A Levels for Law

I am thinking of taking- Law, Government and Politics, History and English Literature- at AS Level (as well as critical thinking as a 5th AS Level), and then dropping critical thinking and english lit OR politics at A2.

would you recommend this? if not what would you recommend? I would like to take a law degree at a university such as bristol university or LSE or one of the reasonably good ones. (I highly doubt i would be able to get into oxbridge!)
I'm quite sure that law at a level is not recommended and universities don't like it. it is on LSE's list of non-preferred subjects and Cambridge's (Trinity's) list of subjects of limited suitability. I believe universities just would like you to have a good mix of rigorous a levels, with about 2 or more essay subjects.
A suitable combination would be Politics, History, English Lit and 1 other perhaps a language.
Reply 2
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
I'm quite sure that law at a level is not recommended and universities don't like it. it is on LSE's list of non-preferred subjects and Cambridge's (Trinity's) list of subjects of limited suitability. I believe universities just would like you to have a good mix of rigorous a levels, with about 2 or more essay subjects.
A suitable combination would be Politics, History, English Lit and 1 other perhaps a language.

Thank you for the feedback, however I'm awful at language's and have never really enjoyed them either, i would prefer to do something i enjoy! Is taking Law A level going to be a disadvantage seeing as it is still a starting point and will help me determine whether i want to pursue a career in law or not?
Original post by BH1234
Thank you for the feedback, however I'm awful at language's and have never really enjoyed them either, i would prefer to do something i enjoy! Is taking Law A level going to be a disadvantage seeing as it is still a starting point and will help me determine whether i want to pursue a career in law or not?

Well as you are doing 3 traditional subjects as well it shouldn't make too much of a difference. maybe do AS law and do politics, english and history to a2 rather than dropping one of the other ones. That way the 3 a levels which your offer is based on will be preferred subjects, and you still get to do law.
Reply 4
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
Well as you are doing 3 traditional subjects as well it shouldn't make too much of a difference. maybe do AS law and do politics, english and history to a2 rather than dropping one of the other ones. That way the 3 a levels which your offer is based on will be preferred subjects, and you still get to do law.

okay thank you :smile:
Notwithstanding the list of non preferrd subjects, then I would go for the ones you enjoy and will get the best grades in.It doesnt really matter for law, although being able to write an essay is handy for some. The ones Samantha suggested are fine. Think carefully before you take a subject you arent confident with.
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
Notwithstanding the list of non preferrd subjects, then I would go for the ones you enjoy and will get the best grades in.It doesnt really matter for law, although being able to write an essay is handy for some. The ones Samantha suggested are fine. Think carefully before you take a subject you arent confident with.

I'm very confident with doing law, politics and history however I'm less confident about english literature as I'm only predicted B at GCSE:/ however they say for law you should do english lit...
Original post by BH1234
I'm very confident with doing law, politics and history however I'm less confident about english literature as I'm only predicted B at GCSE:/ however they say for law you should do english lit...

Law is a funny one. It doesnt give you any advantage and as Samatha points out it is non preferred i.e theres a definite disadvantage. That only becomes relevant if they say its non preferred so check or take the disadvantage. Not everyone specifies, so you could take Law if you wanted and be mindful of where you apply.

If you have your heart set on certain institutions best check to see what their views are, especually if they regard any as non preferred.

Grades matter the most imo.
Reply 8
Law is a funny one. It doesnt give you any advantage and as Samatha points out it is non preferred i.e theres a definite disadvantage. That only becomes relevant if they say its non preferred so check or take the disadvantage. Not everyone specifies, so you could take Law if you wanted and be mindful of where you apply.

If you have your heart set on certain institutions best check to see what their views are, especually if they regard any as non preferred.

Grades matter the most imo.

i would prefer to go to bristol university if i can as it is closer to home than university in london, but i can't find the list of non-preferred subjects. does this mean they don' have any
don't take law at uni - in my opinion as somebody who took it after getting A*AAB with gov/pol, history, english language and phil/ethics (to enter a russell group law course) it was the most atrociously boring subject/course I could have ever taken. I fell asleep in almost every lecture. it had absolutely no intellectually-stimulating content. anybody can disagree with me here, I'm just letting you know what I think. it's massively overhyped as a course/career prospect and it has one of the highest course dropout rates for a reason.
Reply 10
I know people from my local area who are studying Jurispudence at Oxford and they did law to A2, so of course you can choose it!

I do Law AS and it is such an interesting subject... If the uni's you want to go to don't like it, just drop it at AS and explain why at interview if they ask
Reply 11
Original post by AlmightyJesus
don't take law at uni - in my opinion as somebody who took it after getting A*AAB with gov/pol, history, english language and phil/ethics (to enter a russell group law course) it was the most atrociously boring subject/course I could have ever taken. I fell asleep in almost every lecture. it had absolutely no intellectually-stimulating content. anybody can disagree with me here, I'm just letting you know what I think. it's massively overhyped as a course/career prospect and it has one of the highest course dropout rates for a reason.

not taking law at university probably won't be a path that i take, seeing that i have always aspired to have a career in law.
Reply 12
Original post by AfcFob
I know people from my local area who are studying Jurispudence at Oxford and they did law to A2, so of course you can choose it!

I do Law AS and it is such an interesting subject... If the uni's you want to go to don't like it, just drop it at AS and explain why at interview if they ask

Okay thank you! that has made me a lot more confident about taking the subject at a level!
Original post by BH1234
not taking law at university probably won't be a path that i take, seeing that i have always aspired to have a career in law.

...you're *not* taking law at university? so you're wanting the right a levels for law (your thread title) and you have "always aspired to have a career in law" (everybody, including me, said that before they dropped out) yet you're "not taking law at university"?...? I don't understand?
Reply 14
Original post by BH1234
Okay thank you! that has made me a lot more confident about taking the subject at a level!

Your welcome! And you're doing a sensible thing choosing it, so you know if you actually like it or not and don't make a mistake choosing it at Degree
Reply 15
...you're *not* taking law at university? so you're wanting the right a levels for law (your thread title) and you have "always aspired to have a career in law" (everybody, including me, said that before they dropped out) yet you're "not taking law at university"?...? I don't understand?

what I'm trying to say is that no matter what i will try to take a law degree at university, because that is what i have always wanted to do.
Original post by BH1234
i would prefer to go to bristol university if i can as it is closer to home than university in london, but i can't find the list of non-preferred subjects. does this mean they don' have any

Maybe just contact them and check.

Does it really? Anything to back that up?

Your entitled to your opinion. It might be an eye opener for some.
Original post by BH1234
what I'm trying to say is that no matter what i will try to take a law degree at university, because that is what i have always wanted to do.

I'm just letting you know that everybody who takes law says this. I was just like you (not phased by people warning me like this because of my ignorance of what law will *actually* be like, because researching what law will be like at university is very opaque) I wanted to be a lawyer ever since I was a young teen. that's not going to mean that you're going to *actually* enjoy law, and if you don't enjoy your course, you will inevitably do poorly. I'm trying to do you a favour here by informing you this. I spent £9k on a course selection mistake and I don't want you to make such a drastic error too. law is bland and boring. it is not like they portray it in the media. it is dry and miserable. it's learning an untold amount of *boring* facts and you're the kind of person who "likes arguing", then you will be *incredibly* unfulfilled because there will be an incredible amount of laws that either make no sense or are just politically unethical (etc) and you will have to just accept it and argue its validity. it's very uncomfortable if you're interested in politics, philosophy, etc.
Reply 19
Maybe just contact them and check.

okay thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest