The Student Room Group

Have I ruined my life?

I'm going to do American Studies at a liberal arts university.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by similarBlank

Why would that ruin your life?

Goldsmith's?

You haven't ruined your life.

On a side note, can I have fries with that?

Spoiler

whats american studies..?
We're gonna need more information than that to answer your question
Original post by Ethereal World
Why would that ruin your life?

Goldsmith's?

Goldsmith's?
Reply 6
I heard Subway are hiring..... 'Sandwich artist'
you haven't ruined your life, you'll just struggle.
Goldsmith's?

I was wondering what university you are going to and guessed goldsmith's.

Where are you going ?
Can I get a refill?

This thread is so brutal
I was wondering what university you are going to and guessed goldsmith's.

Where are you going ?

Oh, no it's one called Richmond. It's private, which people assume you have to be rich for or something but I've worked out a way in which the loans cover it, so don't think I'm some rich, spoilt kid or something I'm actually potless. :P

It offers a liberal arts degree with is accredited in both America and Britain, the only university in the UK to offer such a degree.
Oh, no it's one called Richmond. It's private, which people assume you have to be rich for or something but I've worked out a way in which the loans cover it, so don't think I'm some rich, spoilt kid or something I'm actually potless. :P

It offers a liberal arts degree with is accredited in both America and Britain, the only university in the UK to offer such a degree.

Well that sounds awesome. If it's something you're interested in and passionate about then go for it! The STEM superiority and Russell Group thing is made out to be do or die for your whole life but that's BS. I believe in doing what you love and you will be happier and more fulfilled both at university and thereafter.

Also like you said you are doing a degree that is accredited in both the US and Britain so that's something unique for a starter!

Richmond is also a beautiful area of London.
Still not getting why it would ruin your life? Presumably you get at least a year abroad to study the natives?
Well that sounds awesome. If it's something you're interested in and passionate about then go for it! The STEM superiority and Russell Group thing is made out to be do or die for your whole life but that's BS. I believe in doing what you love and you will be happier and more fulfilled both at university and thereafter.

Also like you said you are doing a degree that is accredited in both the US and Britain so that's something unique for a starter!

Awww thats lovely. Respect.

Thanks. :smile:

I was kind of slightly concerned as I just watched a CPG Grey video in which he said if you do a university degree that ends in 'studies' you might as well open up a restaurant, so I think I lost a slight bit of confidence in my decision after hearing that but what you said has restored it. :smile:
Original post by 999tigger
Still not getting why it would ruin your life? Presumably you get at least a year abroad to study the natives?

Well, it just seems to be a stereotype that if you do a degree ending with 'studies' you might as well open up a restaurant. :P
unless you're a crack addict on the side, id probably say no. you're probably a troll but if not enjoy.
(edited 8 years ago)

Listen mate on a serious note. I suggest if you're actually serious and want to have better employment prospects:

1) You take a gap year and reapply for a more traditional/rigorous course. (research the course, like in point 3).
2) During your gap year, get as much work experience done as possible. Any opportunity you can get your hands on!
3) Do some research! Life is too short to just go on a hunch on what course you think you might enjoy. What do you want to do with your life? Where do you see yourself in the next five years? When you're old and reflecting back on your life, what memories will you cherish the most? And what regrets will you have? Take some time and self-evaluate.
4) Get a productive hobby: Writing, programming, drawing, etc. Anything which involves creating something of value. In my instance, I like to program (it's quite easy to start learning!), and I'll be using any of my free time to create apps and my own personal projects. That way I can have a portfolio of work and stuff to fall back on and it's just a nice bonus to have - a lot of employers find basic programming understanding very attractive. In fact if the value you create, is that valuable, you might be able to make some money off of it! (like me creating apps and websites as a freelance developer!).
5) When you do go to University, make sure you get the highest and best possible results in all your modules - Don't take any of them lightly. Also, use those 3-4 years of study as an opportunity to get to know as many people as possible, and to join as many societies as possible. Networking and building your own "personality" brand.

That's about it. And final comment, if you really do like the degree you picked, fair enough! But I think it would be dishonest for me to sugar coat it and say employers are going to try and track you down and recruit you. You will be competing against others who have performed strong academically and have fantastic work experience, so yes, you will be at a disadvantage there. But make sure the degree you do go with is something you enjoy, because that's the biggest determinant of your success academically at university.
Original post by 999tigger

Isn't it just a study of America?

So, you'd just be looking at Americans? Pretty much a very similar culture to the UK, except they have annoying American accents. It would make more sense if it was a very distinct and different culture like Japan, or an Arabic nation.
People on this site are so stupid. They all want to be earning 100k, chances are they still wont be happy.
You only need a bit of money to do anything. Travel, etc. Tbh you hardly need any money other than rent/clothes etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending