The Student Room Group

Is teasing a girl flirting?

I have a work collegue who I really enjoy the company of. We have a great laugh. It's clear we both find each other physically attractive but that's where it ends. He has a girlfriend who he has been with 4 years and I am not the sort to try and split them up.

On Friday my boss said ' I tell you the biggest April fools joke, the time it's taken for these two to get together'.

My work collegue laughed but said no more. It turns out the whole office thinks we are secretly into each other and have been flirting since I started!

I have bever viewed his behaviour as flirty. Maybe I'm naive but I thought he was just a funny, friendly guy.

Looking back I can see he treats me completely different to everyone else. He talks to me almost exclusively by teasing. He will joke about my choice in food, clothes, the things I say. For example, he joked that I hadnt put my cardigan on his desk like I always do and he said he thought I had found a different desk to put it on.

He notices everything about me and will comment on everything about me from what I eat to the conversations I've had with other people. It's clear he spends a lot of the day thinking of me.

However, he never texts me out of work, never invites me to meet up outside of work, rarely compliments me on my looks except once when he said I was beautiful. He never touches me, he never tries to be alone with me. So to me he's not flirting, or maybe slightly is but to me he has done nothing that suggests interest.

And yet the entire office thinks he really like me.

I'm not sure what to do now, I wouldn't want to be flirting with a taken man. Do you think this sounds like he's flirting? And if so does it seem with intent?

He's not flirty in general. All his interaction with other women is strictly professional.
Original post by Anonymous
I have a work collegue who I really enjoy the company of. We have a great laugh. It's clear we both find each other physically attractive but that's where it ends. He has a girlfriend who he has been with 4 years and I am not the sort to try and split them up.

On Friday my boss said ' I tell you the biggest April fools joke, the time it's taken for these two to get together'.

My work collegue laughed but said no more. It turns out the whole office thinks we are secretly into each other and have been flirting since I started!

I have bever viewed his behaviour as flirty. Maybe I'm naive but I thought he was just a funny, friendly guy.

Looking back I can see he treats me completely different to everyone else. He talks to me almost exclusively by teasing. He will joke about my choice in food, clothes, the things I say. For example, he joked that I hadnt put my cardigan on his desk like I always do and he said he thought I had found a different desk to put it on.

He notices everything about me and will comment on everything about me from what I eat to the conversations I've had with other people. It's clear he spends a lot of the day thinking of me.

However, he never texts me out of work, never invites me to meet up outside of work, rarely compliments me on my looks except once when he said I was beautiful. He never touches me, he never tries to be alone with me. So to me he's not flirting, or maybe slightly is but to me he has done nothing that suggests interest.

And yet the entire office thinks he really like me.

I'm not sure what to do now, I wouldn't want to be flirting with a taken man. Do you think this sounds like he's flirting? And if so does it seem with intent?

He's not flirty in general. All his interaction with other women is strictly professional.

It sounds like he likes you, but doesn't want to take it out of work due to being in a relationship. Do you know if he is in a happy relationship?
It doesn't really matter, it does sounds like he's flirting but he has a girlfriend, he shouldn't be flirting with you and you definitely shouldn't be taking it any further
(edited 8 years ago)
Ask @Imperion and @ZuluK...
they can tell you :innocent:

Spoiler

yes
Definitely. I call Irish girls Dublin and speak like a leprechaun works everytime.
Original post by homeland.lsw

Spoiler

LOOL :rofl:

I lit have no idea :indiff:
Agree sounds like he likes you and its mild flirting. He doesnt seem to overdo it though and keeps the right side of the line. You dont seem to know anything about him and his gf. Perhaps they are perfectly happy or perhaps not, but i see you wouldnt do anything to split them.

If you were in his gfs place would you be upset by his and your behaviour? It sounds very mild and nothing to worry about.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
He's not happy in his relationship. He may already be split up from her now or close to it. I'm not sure. I wouldn't take anything further unless I was absolutely sure he was single as I'm not like that.

I just can't believe I didnt see his behaviour as flirting when everyone else did?

If he's only teasing me, how is that flirting? Maybe he just really likes me as a friend?
Original post by Anonymous
If he's only teasing me, how is that flirting? Maybe he just really likes me as a friend?

If that were true, he'd act like that with everyone. The fact that he's doing it specifically with you shows that he likes you quite a bit
Reply 10

Spoiler

:colonhash: I don't know. Let's ask TheOtherSide :biggrin:

Original post by Imperion
LOOL :rofl:

I lit have no idea :indiff:

Why do you always flirt with me? Stop flirting with me Imperion... I'm taken :redface:

:rofl:
Original post by ZuluK
:colonhash: I don't know. Let's ask TheOtherSide :biggrin:

Why do you always flirt with me? Stop flirting with me Imperion... I'm taken :redface:

I love how Other just randomly :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:s off somewhere and returns like 5 hours later :rofl:
Original post by ZuluK

I don't? e-e Poor guy.

Spoiler

I love how Other just randomly :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:s off somewhere and returns like 5 hours later :rofl:

Hey, it wasn't five hours later this time :tongue:
Reply 15

Looool she'll have like 100notifications and then be like "I'm backkkkkk"

Original post by Imperion
I don't? e-e Poor guy.

Yeah you do... Stop questioning yourself...

Poor guy... More like Lucky Guy :colone:
Tbh this kind of behaviour exists between me and this guy who's in all my classes and while people think there's something going on, there really isn't. We don't even know each other outside of class lol

Screw what people think and just be friends

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending