The Student Room Group

Advice on buying a basic first car

Hi,

I passed my driving test!!! on Friday after years of stopping and starting and a few attempts. Now I need to start looking into buying a car but to be honest I don't really have a clue where to start, I'm actually finding this aspect more daunting than the learning to drive part, I'm sure i'll get there but any advice would be much appreciated.

I've set a budget of £1500 the car because I just need a car I can get to grips with to start with. I was learning to drive in a toyata yaris, but I think i'd prefer a smaller car like maybe a corsa. My driving instructor was saying it might be better to buy a car private instead of from a garage because it can be much cheaper, but I am slightly wary of that just because I don't really know enough and I think it could just be more risky??

What other important things do I need to consider when looking at cars? Please help :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If buying privately, it might be an idea to get a HPI check and mechanical pre-purchase inspection done. ClickMechanic offers a Pre-Purchase Inspection for used cars for around £70. This is done by a trained mechanic and is done at the seller's convenience. You'd then get a report on the condition of the car.
Other than that, make sure the car suits you and you're comfortable driving it. Things to look for: bodywork condition, tyres, evidence of any internal leaks, MOT, service history and mileage (i.e. is it reasonable for a car of that age and does it match up with service records?)
Some basic tips for buying secondhand would be look for rust (pending MOT fail), tyres that aren't too bald (have to replace soon) and look under the bonnet for leaks or suspicious cleanliness (seller hiding leaks). If possible, test drive from a cold start in case it has running or starting issues that aren't apparent with a warm engine. Check if it has things like the manual or locking wheelnut adapters, as these can be expensive to replace. View the car in daylight so you can more easily spot scratches, dents, replaced panels etc. I don't have too much experience in this myself, but I think it would be wise to bring a parent or someone who does so you don't get sold a bunny.
Reply 3
Original post by maltelsh
If buying privately, it might be an idea to get a HPI check and mechanical pre-purchase inspection done. ClickMechanic offers a Pre-Purchase Inspection for used cars for around £70. This is done by a trained mechanic and is done at the seller's convenience. You'd then get a report on the condition of the car.
Other than that, make sure the car suits you and you're comfortable driving it. Things to look for: bodywork condition, tyres, evidence of any internal leaks, MOT, service history and mileage (i.e. is it reasonable for a car of that age and does it match up with service records?)

Thanks for that :smile:, might seem like a silly question but how would you make sure your comfortable driving a car if you buy it privately, do you need to be insured for the time to do the test drive and how much time do you need to drive for to see if it'd suitable to drive in the long run? just asking because i genuinely have no idea, thanks
Reply 4
Original post by AmateurRocketman
Some basic tips for buying secondhand would be look for rust (pending MOT fail), tyres that aren't too bald (have to replace soon) and look under the bonnet for leaks or suspicious cleanliness (seller hiding leaks). If possible, test drive from a cold start in case it has running or starting issues that aren't apparent with a warm engine. Check if it has things like the manual or locking wheelnut adapters, as these can be expensive to replace. View the car in daylight so you can more easily spot scratches, dents, replaced panels etc. I don't have too much experience in this myself, but I think it would be wise to bring a parent or someone who does so you don't get sold a bunny.

Thanks for those, that's helpful. I don't really have anyone who knows that much that I could take, which is what is making it more daunting. I'll just need to do a lot of research and make sure I check everything properly.
Original post by t.b.s
Hi,

I passed my driving test!!! on Friday after years of stopping and starting and a few attempts. Now I need to start looking into buying a car but to be honest I don't really have a clue where to start, I'm actually finding this aspect more daunting than the learning to drive part, I'm sure i'll get there but any advice would be much appreciated.

I've set a budget of £1500 the car because I just need a car I can get to grips with to start with. I was learning to drive in a toyata yaris, but I think i'd prefer a smaller car like maybe a corsa. My driving instructor was saying it might be better to buy a car private instead of from a garage because it can be much cheaper, but I am slightly wary of that just because I don't really know enough and I think it could just be more risky??

What other important things do I need to consider when looking at cars? Please help :smile:

Buying privately is good, but i wouldnt discount the idea or going to a garage to buy a car. It may be slightly more expensive, but at least you have more comeback if something does go wrong.
Reply 6
Original post by Emma:-)
Buying privately is good, but i wouldnt discount the idea or going to a garage to buy a car. It may be slightly more expensive, but at least you have more comeback if something does go wrong.

Thanks Emma, I think that right now a garage is probably the best then when I'm abit more wisened up with cars i'll have the option, it's probably not worth the risk atm.
For £1500, you'll probably only be able to buy from a private seller mainly, as that'll be where the good deals are. Try checking on autotrader.co.uk for some good cars. I bought my first car privately, and got a good deal. Just make sure all the paperwork is in order, you're comfortable that the seller is genuine, and make sure you go to the home address of the seller. Sounds strange, but if they want to do it away from the house, eg in a layby, walk away, it's a sign the car or seller is dodgy. Mike Brewer has some good tips on being used. And there's loads of Corsa's for around your budget, so if you're not comfortable with buying one car, just walk away. They'll be plenty of others. Make sure to check the basics, so MOT, leaks under the car, the engine turns over well etc, and ALWAYS do a test drive, but also check for badly done repairs, new areas of paint in the engine bay etc, as they can be signs of crash damage.
Original post by t.b.s
Thanks Emma, I think that right now a garage is probably the best then when I'm abit more wisened up with cars i'll have the option, it's probably not worth the risk atm.

Most garages have some sort of warranty as well (like 1-3 months usually depending on the garage), so if anything goes wrong in that period then you can get them to sort it. Not that it will, but at least its peace of mind.
What car are you thinking of getting?
Reply 9
Original post by RallySPORT
For £1500, you'll probably only be able to buy from a private seller mainly, as that'll be where the good deals are. Try checking on autotrader.co.uk for some good cars. I bought my first car privately, and got a good deal. Just make sure all the paperwork is in order, you're comfortable that the seller is genuine, and make sure you go to the home address of the seller. Sounds strange, but if they want to do it away from the house, eg in a layby, walk away, it's a sign the car or seller is dodgy. Mike Brewer has some good tips on being used. And there's loads of Corsa's for around your budget, so if you're not comfortable with buying one car, just walk away. They'll be plenty of others. Make sure to check the basics, so MOT, leaks under the car, the engine turns over well etc, and ALWAYS do a test drive, but also check for badly done repairs, new areas of paint in the engine bay etc, as they can be signs of crash damage.

Thanks, autotrader has been helpful. I know there won't be as much choice within that budget if I don't buy privately but I still think because I don't really know what I need to be checking for in terms of paperwork etc it'll be less risky for me personally. The next time I buy a car and have an more of an idea i'll buy privatley but that is a good point if I'm not sure of something or need to double check, just walk away and then go back, or not.
Reply 10
Most garages have some sort of warranty as well (like 1-3 months usually depending on the garage), so if anything goes wrong in that period then you can get them to sort it. Not that it will, but at least its peace of mind.
What car are you thinking of getting?

That's good about the warranty :smile: it just makes it seem less worrying knowing that if something does go wrong you haven't lost alll of your money and need to start over again. Yep having that peace of mind will just make me feel less stressed out. I keep changing my mind about what car, there is just so much choice originally it was a corsa but now i'm thinking maybe a citroen C2 or toyota yaris although ultimately it'll just be what I can afford within the budget I've put aside. Any recommendations?
Reply 11
Try car giant
Original post by t.b.s
That's good about the warranty :smile: it just makes it seem less worrying knowing that if something does go wrong you haven't lost alll of your money and need to start over again. Yep having that peace of mind will just make me feel less stressed out. I keep changing my mind about what car, there is just so much choice originally it was a corsa but now i'm thinking maybe a citroen C2 or toyota yaris although ultimately it'll just be what I can afford within the budget I've put aside. Any recommendations?

Id recommend a nissan micra or hyundai getz. Citroen C2's are good as well. The only ones i wouldnt recommend are ford KA's (dont even go there) and Fiat Puntos (i know from experience how unreliable they are).
I haven't read all the above replies and i'm sure there is good information in them but i'll just leave my experience buying my first car here for you as well :smile:

I bought my first car 3 months after passing. I bought it privately, from a family members boyfriend, its a Corsa, 1.0l and I paid £600 for it and it had done 67k miles

Ive had the car 3/4 of a year now and ive probably put in around £400 in repairs and maintenance. Had two coils break, handbrake needed tightening, brakes were leaking or something.

Also my Corsa (Like a lot of them do, very common problem! beware!) is leaking rain water from behind the brake servo. Basically you will be able to tell if this is the case as the footwell will be soaking. If you do decide to look at a corsa, have a peak under any mats in the footwell, could be hiding the puddle underneath!

But if youre budget is £1500 you will find a nice enough car :smile:
Good luck :smile:
1. Please don't buy a Corsa

2. If you can, try to find something at auction (BMA)
Reply 15
Id recommend a nissan micra or hyundai getz. Citroen C2's are good as well. The only ones i wouldnt recommend are ford KA's (dont even go there) and Fiat Puntos (i know from experience how unreliable they are).

Thanks for that, yup I wasn't even considering a KA I'd not heard good things but I was looking at punto's so thanks for the warning! looking forward to going and having a look now :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Bern Herkins
I haven't read all the above replies and i'm sure there is good information in them but i'll just leave my experience buying my first car here for you as well :smile:

I bought my first car 3 months after passing. I bought it privately, from a family members boyfriend, its a Corsa, 1.0l and I paid £600 for it and it had done 67k miles

Ive had the car 3/4 of a year now and ive probably put in around £400 in repairs and maintenance. Had two coils break, handbrake needed tightening, brakes were leaking or something.

Also my Corsa (Like a lot of them do, very common problem! beware!) is leaking rain water from behind the brake servo. Basically you will be able to tell if this is the case as the footwell will be soaking. If you do decide to look at a corsa, have a peak under any mats in the footwell, could be hiding the puddle underneath!

Thanks, that's all really helpful stuff. Did you know when you bought it that you'd need to put in money for the repairs quite soon? Thanks for the tip about the footwell i'll add that to my checklist :smile:

Thanks!
Reply 17
Original post by Kieran1996
1. Please don't buy a Corsa

2. If you can, try to find something at auction (BMA)

Have you had a bad experience with Corsa's ?

I hadn't thought about looking for something at auction, what does BMA stand for? Thanks
Reply 18
Original post by Bern Herkins

What year was your corsa if you don't mind me asking?

I was about to go for a corsa 1l 2004 that's done 88k miles just because it was so cheap
Original post by ramo55
What year was your corsa if you don't mind me asking?

I was about to go for a corsa 1l 2004 that's done 88k miles just because it was so cheap

It is a 2003 :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending