The Student Room Group

Nursing and social life

I'm considering doing nursing next year and just wondering what the social life is like?
How often do you get to go out clubbing etc

Thanks in advance
Original post by rosierosie123
I'm considering doing nursing next year and just wondering what the social life is like?

Thanks in advance

Depends on the demands of you to be honest. Many people I know manage to go out several nights a week and still do well, whereas others I know are now failing.
It's all about managing your time and the demands from the course and placement.

You can still have a social life as a student nurse but it's all about learning to balance your work / social life equally. If you can then you will be fine.
But do remember social lives change whilst on placement and to be careful of what you do do as you're on a professional course and it is not like many other courses at university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rosierosie123

Thanks in advance

I found that my social life was pretty good while living with other nurses in first year when we spent more time in uni and could turn up feeling slightly fragile, whereas on placement you just can't go out the night before for more than a couple of drinks. I'm sure everyone makes that mistake once or twice but you quickly realise it isn't a good idea. Once you get into placements it's almost impossible to organise nights out when you're all working different shifts. That's not to say that you'll never have nights out with your nursing friends, it's just that when you're on placement it can be a logistical nightmare.

The only thing I can recommend if social life is important to you is to make sure you have friends who aren't nurses, either through a flat-share or through joining clubs and societies or sports teams, with the bonus of also having socials if you go down that route.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending