The Student Room Group

Does anyone else have an awkward relationship with their parents?

My dad gets irritated easily and is quite defensive, whilst my mother isn't the greatest at making conversation. We're not close, which leads me to be unable to talk to them about personal things - it's just too uncomfortable. It's also tense when my boyfriend comes to stay with us (LDR), as they've hinted in the past that they don't approve of the whole thing. We're constantly on edge whenever my parents are in the house, as they overreact at the slightest 'inappropriate' things we do (like me laying on his airbed whilst he was in the shower lol).

Does anyone else not like/not feel comfortable living with their parents?
Your dad sounds like mine. Over the years he has mellowed a little, but on the whole it's still very difficult to predict whether he's in a good mood or a bad mood on any given day. My mum is pretty judgemental. I don't think she means to be (it's probably just how she was brought up) but I'm not close to either of my parents either. Can imagine my situation will be awkward when I get a boyfriend.
Glad I moved out to go to uni. Are you at an age where you could do the same maybe?
Reply 2
Original post by RezzBerry
Are those TSR members? :colondollar:

yeah it's @ubisoft and :rofl:
Reply 3
calm down there, Linda :lol:
Reply 4
Ah i see, i've met you before
Damn, Serah. Get in there. :sexface:
Original post by z33
Ah i see, i've met you before

Go to sleep :rofl:
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
Your dad sounds like mine. Over the years he has mellowed a little, but on the whole it's still very difficult to predict whether he's in a good mood or a bad mood on any given day. My mum is pretty judgemental. I don't think she means to be (it's probably just how she was brought up) but I'm not close to either of my parents either. Can imagine my situation will be awkward when I get a boyfriend.
Glad I moved out to go to uni. Are you at an age where you could do the same maybe?

Hopefully will be going to uni next year, don't know how I'm going to cope with another year at home tbh. Did you find that moving out helped to improve your relationship with them at all? I'm hoping that once I live far far away that we'll learn to appreciate eachother better :s-smilie:
Reply 8
Ya just consists of them lecturing me;

"Dina have you prayed?" at least 20 times everyday.
"Dina you're praying with me next time" (20mins ago, this happened)
"Dina what are you doing on your laptop?" (happened a second ago whilst typing this lmao)
"Dina what are you typing" (and this ha)
"Dina show me your screen"
"Dina what kind of clothes are you wearing"
"Dina you're a (enter bad words)"

When I come home 1 minute late:

"Dina where did you go?"
"Did you bunk school?"

:erm:
Reply 9
Original post by Dinaa

"Dina what are you doing on your laptop?" (happened a second ago whilst typing this lmao)

"Dina where did you go?"
"Did you bunk school?"

You're in jail?
Original post by Dinaa

"Dina where did you go?"
"Did you bunk school?"

I can relate
Reply 11
Original post by Josb
You're in jail?

Yeah you could call it that. :ahee: