The Student Room Group

Resolving forces question

https://e4c57ffe72e64565dd23ce74ff8c96ff1cc0bd77.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYc2g4c29zSXplTmc/Set-D/Resolving.pdf

I don't understand part b (ii) of the first question. How would you draw the force diagram and which is the resultant force when F is vertical? Every time I try to draw it, I end up getting the wrong answer because I use Tan(theta) = Opp/Aj but according to the mark scheme, you should use Cos(theta) = Adj/Hyp.... but I don't understand why.
Reply 1
Original post by jessyjellytot14
https://e4c57ffe72e64565dd23ce74ff8c96ff1cc0bd77.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYc2g4c29zSXplTmc/Set-D/Resolving.pdf

I don't understand part b (ii) of the first question. How would you draw the force diagram and which is the resultant force when F is vertical? Every time I try to draw it, I end up getting the wrong answer because I use Tan(theta) = Opp/Aj but according to the mark scheme, you should use Cos(theta) = Adj/Hyp.... but I don't understand why.

You're talking about b(ii), that's just resolving the tension vertically. There's a 3030^{\circ} degree angle between the tension and the vertical, so resolving the tension in the vertical direction gives you Tcos30T \cos 30^{\circ}.
Reply 2

I just basically drew up what Zacken said, along with a little explanation to how we find horizontal and vertical components when the force acts at an angle

Reply 3
Original post by KaylaB
I just basically drew up what Zacken said, along with a little explanation to how we find horizontal and vertical components when the force acts at an angle

That's very neat! :love:
Reply 4
Original post by Zacken
That's very neat! :love:

Thank you :h:

Spoiler

Reply 5
Original post by KaylaB
Thank you :h:

Spoiler

Mine never has and I've done a lot of maths. :rofl:
Original post by KaylaB

Oh wow thank you for taking the time to draw it out :smile:! In the triangle you drew would y represent the weight force?
Original post by KaylaB

X

Whoa that drawing :redface:
Original post by Zacken
You're talking about b(ii), that's just resolving the tension vertically. There's a 3030^{\circ} degree angle between the tension and the vertical, so resolving the tension in the vertical direction gives you Tcos30T \cos 30^{\circ}.

Thanks, I would rep you but it won't let me
Reply 9
Thanks, I would rep you but it won't let me

Don't worry about it.

yy would represent the horizontal component of the tension, nothing more.
Reply 10
Oh wow thank you for taking the time to draw it out :smile:! In the triangle you drew would y represent the weight force?

Original post by Zacken
Don't worry about it.

yy would represent the horizontal component of the tension, nothing more.

Yeah exactly, y is the horizontal component of the tension. I just labelled it y so that you could work out what it could be using the triangle, which is Tsin30T \sin 30^{\circ}

Original post by Student403
Whoa that drawing :redface:

It's one of the only things I'm good for in mechanics :innocent:
Original post by KaylaB
Yeah exactly, y is the horizontal component of the tension. I just labelled it y so that you could work out what it could be using the triangle, which is Tsin30T \sin 30^{\circ}

It's one of the only things I'm good for in mechanics :innocent:

Fair enough - I'm sure you're good at the content too :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest