The Student Room Group

Handwriting, please assist me.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by z33
really :eek: :frown: luckeh tbh

Actually though, you might get a scribe who has less knowledge of the subject than you and thus it may waste time if you're trying to explain what to put down.
Reply 41
Original post by HeimIX
LOOL, thats not writing m8, those are hieroglyphics :rofl2:

Hahaha cheers mate, total 24/7 banter when you're actually an Egyptian God.
Reply 42
Original post by BFCBP
Actually though, you might get a scribe who has less knowledge of the subject than you and thus it may waste time if you're trying to explain what to put down.

isn't all they do just write what you dictate? im sure no scribe would be THAT thick :lol:
Reply 43
Original post by z33
isn't all they do just write what you dictate? im sure no scribe would be THAT thick :lol:

Physics formulae, maths diagrams, etc. all could be problematic I imagine.
My handwriting sucks, and is part of the reason why I'm eligible to use a word processor.
Reply 45
Original post by BFCBP
Physics formulae, maths diagrams, etc. all could be problematic I imagine.

ah yeah guess that would be a problem... well then you get extra time for the scribe :rofl:
Reply 46
Original post by z33
really :eek: :frown: luckeh tbh

Yup

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
Original post by z33

It's really anal, you have to do all the punctuation and they don't know how to spell the jargon, and that's before you look at the symbols

Posted from TSR Mobile
wouldnt a scribe be more difficult to get used to and slow you down becayse you arent used to it?

Seriously try a fountain pen for a week.
Original post by BFCBP
Hello,

I have never been offered any help to do with my handwriting with exams etc., however I feel I struggle to write in a legible format for exams under the time limit and often lose marks for words being hard to understand, perhaps a couple of marks per exam in cases.

I will attach a scan of part of a timed past paper I did for Higher English (note that this is equivalent of A level I believe) but it isn't really about the level anyway.

I completed the paper within the specified time however I feel like the handwriting is something that even I can barely read.

Please could someone let me know if this is legible and if I should be given some sort of help when it comes to exams in order to make it a little better/not to lose marks?

Thanks,
Ben.

IMG_2297 2.jpg

Hi Ben!
I lose a lot of marks to handwriting too, a risk I'm not willing to take when it comes to my A2 exams.
I would suggest making sure that you have a pen with ink that flows easily- not a cheap byro! Fountain pens are great, but if you tend to lose pens I wouldn't go for that. I invested in a box of these (http://www.amazon.com/Uni-ball-Eye-Micro-Ub-150-Gel/dp/B00I6Z143S) and only take one out of the box at a time, and they've lasted me more than a term. Mess around with different types of pens to find ones that are comfortable for you/make your handwriting look nicest.
Another thing- I always have really nice handwriting when I write with TriPlus FineLiners (http://www.jetpens.com/Staedtler-Triplus-Fineliner-Pen-0.3-mm-Black/pd/7967?gclid=CjwKEAjw_oK4BRDym-SDq-aczicSJAC7UVRtOVnFLh8yAtRGVaMBthrcIrOt7DRkC4trerk0XmkU4BoCZWrw_wcB) because of the triangular shape.

Looking specifically at your handwriting:
I would say work on separating your letters rather than running them together. It will slow you down, but it will force your hand to fully form each letter.
Also, try to 'ground' your words on the ruled lines of the paper. It will improve the overall look of the writing.
Exaggerate your letters. Slow down. Fully form each letter before moving on to the new one.
I can tell that you want write almost as quickly as you think, because I do the same. Sometimes it's okay to let your hand have a little lag time and catch up on the periods.
MOST IMPORTANTLY: Stop using byros! They cramp your hand and force you to write uncomfortably. Only use pens that you don't need to press into the page. It will change your entire handwriting style.
Original post by BFCBP
Hello,

I have never been offered any help to do with my handwriting with exams etc., however I feel I struggle to write in a legible format for exams under the time limit and often lose marks for words being hard to understand, perhaps a couple of marks per exam in cases.

I will attach a scan of part of a timed past paper I did for Higher English (note that this is equivalent of A level I believe) but it isn't really about the level anyway.

I completed the paper within the specified time however I feel like the handwriting is something that even I can barely read.

Please could someone let me know if this is legible and if I should be given some sort of help when it comes to exams in order to make it a little better/not to lose marks?

Thanks,
Ben.

IMG_2297 2.jpg

An examiner will be able to read your handwriting. It's not great, but it's not bad. Believe me when I say your handwriting is legible; there is much worse.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sxphieds
Hi Ben!
I lose a lot of marks to handwriting too, a risk I'm not willing to take when it comes to my A2 exams.
I would suggest making sure that you have a pen with ink that flows easily- not a cheap byro! Fountain pens are great, but if you tend to lose pens I wouldn't go for that. I invested in a box of these (http://www.amazon.com/Uni-ball-Eye-Micro-Ub-150-Gel/dp/B00I6Z143S) and only take one out of the box at a time, and they've lasted me more than a term. Mess around with different types of pens to find ones that are comfortable for you/make your handwriting look nicest.
Another thing- I always have really nice handwriting when I write with TriPlus FineLiners (http://www.jetpens.com/Staedtler-Triplus-Fineliner-Pen-0.3-mm-Black/pd/7967?gclid=CjwKEAjw_oK4BRDym-SDq-aczicSJAC7UVRtOVnFLh8yAtRGVaMBthrcIrOt7DRkC4trerk0XmkU4BoCZWrw_wcB) because of the triangular shape.

Looking specifically at your handwriting:
I would say work on separating your letters rather than running them together. It will slow you down, but it will force your hand to fully form each letter.
Also, try to 'ground' your words on the ruled lines of the paper. It will improve the overall look of the writing.
Exaggerate your letters. Slow down. Fully form each letter before moving on to the new one.
I can tell that you want write almost as quickly as you think, because I do the same. Sometimes it's okay to let your hand have a little lag time and catch up on the periods.
MOST IMPORTANTLY: Stop using byros! They cramp your hand and force you to write uncomfortably. Only use pens that you don't need to press into the page. It will change your entire handwriting style.

This is all good advice which I tried to point you to previously. The responsibility for poor handwriting is YOURS. Toy still have time to make these changes above.

A scribe you will find difficult to get used to .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending