The Student Room Group

Only doing squats.

Hate doing leg press, glute ham raises and all that BS.

Has anyone tried only doing squats on their leg days and seen results?

I also deadlift once a week, which fries my hamstrings.

Scroll to see replies

If you go heavy enough, many would say your method is preferable.
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
If you go heavy enough, many would say your method is preferable.

Yeah, I lift in the 6-8 rep range. The only concern is the emphasis on the pushing part of the movement (quad-dominant) but I'm hoping that my deadlifting balances that out a bit by working my hamstrings.

I laugh at people doing set after set of leg curls and leg extensions. Wtf are they even playing at? Just squat ffs.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by dairychocolate
Yeah, I lift in the 6-8 rep range. The only concern is the emphasis on the pushing part of the movement (quad-dominant) but I'm hoping that my deadlifting balances that out a bit by working my hamstrings.

I laugh at people doing set after set of leg curls and leg extensions. Wtf are they even playing at? Just squat ffs.

Leg extensions mangle my knees like there's no tomorrow, tbh.
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
Leg extensions mangle my knees like there's no tomorrow, tbh.

Yeah, from what I remember, they've been linked to a bunch of knee injuries.
You can build perfectly good legs off squats and deadlifts. Imo do them twice a week

Posted from TSR Mobile
Belt squats are vital IMO.
Original post by Angry cucumber
You can build perfectly good legs off squats and deadlifts. Imo do them twice a week

Posted from TSR Mobile

CBA with twice a week. My thighs and bum grow too quickly, anyway. Is there a benefit to 2x a week? As far as I know, weekly volume and intensity are significantly more important than frequency.

Original post by SmashConcept
Why the belt? I like using my core for stability.
(edited 7 years ago)
CBA with twice a week. My thighs and bum grow too quickly, anyway. Is there a benefit to 2x a week? As far as I know, weekly volume and intensity are significantly more important than frequency.

Why the belt? I like using my core for stability.

More practice, the muscle protein synthesis curve thing, more weekly volume etc

Do what you enjoy, you'll get stronger off that. But I recommend doing everything twice a week

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do see results mind you I do the elliptical on a high incline at a high level so eveytime I step it's hard thus working on my glutes and leg muscles. I stopped doing that and just do squats and I see fast results but I think the elliptical might've helped with that. Also I use ankle weights.

I'm a female.
More practice, the muscle protein synthesis curve thing, more weekly volume etc

Do what you enjoy, you'll get stronger off that. But I recommend doing everything twice a week

Posted from TSR Mobile

I used to hit muscles twice a week but I'm moving on to more of a 'bro' split now, with calf and ab training each thrown in 2x a week since they are weak points.

Basically:

Mon- Chest, Tris
Tue- Back, Bis, Forearms
Thur- Shoulders (done at home)
Fri- Legs

Although I'm thinking of adding more benching on at home on a Saturday, I don't think I could deadlift the day after doing legs. Maybe I could do more deadlifts on leg day if I have any energy?

PPL was too much of a drag. I don't want to be in the gym 6x a week.
(edited 7 years ago)
Squats work i am a living embodient of aforementioned statment.

Too verobse fml
Yeah, from what I remember, they've been linked to a bunch of knee injuries.

I only go relatively light on leg extensions. I prefer front squats> :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You do different variations or?

E.g Rackpull/Deficit DL/Conventional DL/Sumo DL
Back squat/Front squat/Pause squat etc.

What's your split atm?

I'm doing Legs, Push, Pull, lower body, upper body.
I would do Legs, Push, Pull x2 & then 1 day off but kinda find that too time consuming 6 days vs 5 days.
Its about juggling other stuff aswell.
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't have a leg day.

I used to squat twice a week which I preferred but I'm on 3x a week as it's the lift I want to improve, not enjoying it so I'd say 2x a week is ideal. You can get perfectly good results from squatting/deadlifting.
Original post by XxKingSniprxX

You do different variations or?

E.g Rackpull/Deficit DL/Conventional DL/Sumo DL
Back squat/Front squat/Pause squat etc.

What's your split atm?

I'm doing Legs, Push, Pull, lower body, upper body.
I would do Legs, Push, Pull x2 & then 1 day off but kinda find that too time consuming 6 days vs 5 days.
Its about juggling other stuff aswell.

I'd back squat 2x a week if I could back squat. But I can't because of synovitis in knees.

I would also deadlift 2x a week, but cause I can't squat I do normal deadlifts once a week, trap bar twice a week and deficit deadlifts once a week, with occasional variation other variations added in.

I don't recommend my split as I've built it for a human with a messed up body, not your average person lol.
Original post by XxKingSniprxX

They just feel like a dangerous half-measure to me.

Tbh, I don't feel like I've squatted hard enough if I've still got the strength to do a bunch of leg extensions afterwards.

Original post by hezzlington
I don't have a leg day.

I used to squat twice a week which I preferred but I'm on 3x a week as it's the lift I want to improve, not enjoying it so I'd say 2x a week is ideal. You can get perfectly good results from squatting/deadlifting.

Yeah, I used to squat on 2 different days but it's hard to get hold of a squat rack at my gym and heavy squatting can also drain my strength during the rest of the workout.

I sprint 1-2 times a week, too, so I'd rather not have more than 1 squat session.
They just feel like a dangerous half-measure to me.

Tbh, I don't feel like I've squatted hard enough if I've still got the strength to do a bunch of leg extensions afterwards.

Yeah, I used to squat on 2 different days but it's hard to get hold of a squat rack at my gym and heavy squatting can also drain my strength during the rest of the workout.

I sprint 1-2 times a week, too, so I'd rather not have more than 1 squat session.

Yeahh I feel that, I'm upping my cardio massively over the next few weeks so need to reduce my squat volume big time, I used to deadlift 3x as well, but I'm focusing on improving hypertrophy a bit more now as opposed to 1RM so that's 1x a week but I'll do 9 sets.

2x a week squats 1 - 2x a week deads will sort you out.
Original post by SmashConcept

> Does them one time

Now they're vital, like this explains why you're so mediocre. Joke they were :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:ing incredible. I still have some doms.
I'd back squat 2x a week if I could back squat. But I can't because of synovitis in knees.

I would also deadlift 2x a week, but cause I can't squat I do normal deadlifts once a week, trap bar twice a week and deficit deadlifts once a week, with occasional variation other variations added in.

I don't recommend my split as I've built it for a human with a messed up body, not your average person lol.

Wait so you do trap bar DL as your standard "normal" DL?

Personally, I'd get bored doing back squats twice a week + I find front squats so
much more enjoyable.

Yeah Ik, its whatever suits you best and you can stick to that will bring you results regardless if it isn't the the most optimal. Adherence is king.
[video="youtube;WAvdsK3Bq28"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAvdsK3Bq28[/video]
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest