The Student Room Group

Do you think that it is wrong to moan/self pity?

Do you think that it is morally wrong to moan/self pity? When you consider how many people live in poverty etc is it wrong to self pity?

Scroll to see replies

No, I think you should be allowed to moan about whatever you want.
Reply 2
Do what you like.
Original post by Dinasaurus
No, I think you should be allowed to moan about whatever you want.

The question wasn't about what you should be allowed to do but whether it is right/wrong.
Original post by Thomb
Do what you like.

go and rape someone then if that's what you would like
Reply 5
Original post by karl pilkington
go and rape someone then if that's what you would like

Is that what you've done?
The question wasn't about what you should be allowed to do but whether it is right/wrong.

No I don't think it's wrong.
its not wrong but its not right either, all depends on the timescale

let me explain, at some point all emotions will inevitably be let out, anger, sadness, happiness or hunger for food.

They have to be inevitably expressed even if subdued for a long time

sometimes life does batter you very harshly:frown:, more harshly than a beer battered fish or a tempura battered prawn, and you deserve moments of self pity and moaning, its only natural....and healthy

however, you can't stay at that chapter forever, you have to move on and progress through the pages, once you've cried and talked to your friends and eaten some ice cream:biggrin: and let it out, you have to move on.:tongue:

When will I know to move on you ask?

When it starts affecting other parts of your life like your diet, personality, interests etc:wink:
So do self pity and moan but dont do it for too long and let it change you

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Thomb
Is that what you've done?

no obv you missed the point of the question which has nothing to do with what you like/dislike
Reply 9
“I think that if I ever have kids, and they are upset, I won't tell them that people are starving in China or anything like that because it wouldn't change the fact that they were upset. And even if somebody else has it much worse, that doesn't really change the fact that you have what you have.”
The only thing which annoys me is people who continue to moan but refuse to make any attempt to improve the situation they are in. I think generally having a bit of a moan can make you feel a lot better and you need a bit of self care (which can include feeling sorry for yourself) sometimes... just need to have limits so you don't make yourself feel worse.

As far as comparing, there's no point, there's always someone worse off and better off and the only thing that really matters is how you feel in your mind, if you feel crappy then you deserve to do whatever will make you feel better.
Reply 11
no obv you missed the point of the question which has nothing to do with what you like/dislike

Ok its not wrong because it is part of the human condition.
I think it is wrong and find it cringe worthy when people who are so lucky to live in peace and prosperity moan and whinge it is nauseating,
idk, whatever happens i just try to get on with it an at least be ostensibly happy and optimistic. People always have it worse so i always feel guilty for feeling down or anxious or whatever :redface:
also i dont see how it is helpful to just full on moan to ppl, just talking about stuff in general is more helpful or ask for their advice or something idk :redface: x
Reply 14
I think it is wrong and find it cringe worthy when people who are so lucky to live in peace and prosperity moan and whinge it is nauseating,

Everything is relative, can't blame someone for dwelling on more than they can bare.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Morally wrong? That's stupid. No.
moaning can become a lifestyle for the feeble
Original post by the bear
moaning can become a lifestyle for the feeble

this sometimes it becomes a way of life it also stops people from over coming their problems if they are constantly wallowing in self pity
It's not wrong if you're planning to change your circumstances. If you're going to carry on giving yourself reasons to moan about, then you're not better than whatever it was you were moaning about in the first place.
No, of course it isn't morally wrong. I mean we have all done it at some point whether it is wishing we had a new car, a better life etc.
I used to get these thoughts a lot before, I started moaning about my life, looking at what other people had and wishing I had it too. I was making comparisons which were pulling me down.

But then, I started to think about all the things that I do have such as a roof over my head, warmth, clothing, food and water. These basic essential things that we all need that many people don't have because they live in poverty.

Last week, I was laying in bed, and I was thinking just how uncomfortable my mattress was and wondering how good it would be to have much more money so that I could buy a new one, a comfier one. However, I then thought about all those other people who don't even have a bed to sleep in. Men, women, children who have to sleep on the dirty ground whether under a roof or plainly outside, who are vulnerable to danger and who barely have anything to eat! So I thank God for having shelter, a bed to lie in each night, food on the table to eat, so that I am able survive and live a reasonable life, that many people in poverty only dream of.

So, what I'm saying is that yes we can moan and have self pity. But to a certain extent.

Quick Reply