The Student Room Group

RE question help

Hello all, could you please help me on this question, it's a c type question worth 8 marks and I really don't know how to answer it.
Explain why the scientific explanation of the world leads some people to become atheists or agnostics.

Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Do you mean people who were religious and then stopped believing, or people who've always been atheists? I suppose the former most often happens when a believer realises life is truly unfair and that if there were a god, he/she presumably wouldn't let innocent people die.
Original post by Roxeber
Hello all, could you please help me on this question, it's a c type question worth 8 marks and I really don't know how to answer it.
Explain why the scientific explanation of the world leads some people to become atheists or agnostics.

Thank you.

Hello I achieved an A* at RE. Basically it's simply about the theory of the Big Bang and the cosmic background radiation. All this evidence proves the Big Bang which proves the existence of the world and because of this there are atheists whom cannot believe in a God as science proves the world to exist and not from any higher form. Moreover, with agnostics it's the same idea that since science can prove the existence of the world then why would there be God. However with agnostics they don't know if there is a God or not and don't know what to believe if he exists or not!

Not much more for that question as its only an 8 mark as you said.
Reply 3
Original post by Aaron2515
Hello I achieved an A* at RE. Basically it's simply about the theory of the Big Bang and the cosmic background radiation. All this evidence proves the Big Bang which proves the existence of the world and because of this there are atheists whom cannot believe in a God as science proves the world to exist and not from any higher form. Moreover, with agnostics it's the same idea that since science can prove the existence of the world then why would there be God. However with agnostics they don't know if there is a God or not and don't know what to believe if he exists or not!

Not much more for that question as its only an 8 mark as you said.

Thank you for your answer. Do you have any tips on how to get an A* in RE because i always get Bs and its really bugging me.
Original post by Roxeber
Thank you for your answer. Do you have any tips on how to get an A* in RE because i always get Bs and its really bugging me.

I made notes as my revison I simply used all the booklets they gave me, the text book and the revison guide. And for each topic used all that information and made spider diagrams. It was so helpful as I could visualise it all and it some how worked. On top of that I learnt the technique for each question and used that template to answer any question. Also do past papers, read examiners report etc.
GCSE isn't to bad as it's just simply learning all the content and you will be fine :smile:
Reply 5
I made notes as my revison I simply used all the booklets they gave me, the text book and the revison guide. And for each topic used all that information and made spider diagrams. It was so helpful as I could visualise it all and it some how worked. On top of that I learnt the technique for each question and used that template to answer any question. Also do past papers, read examiners report etc.
GCSE isn't to bad as it's just simply learning all the content and you will be fine :smile:

Thanks so much :smile: did u take re for a levels?
Original post by Roxeber
Thanks so much :smile: did u take re for a levels?

Yes :smile: I really love RE and find it really interesting. At AS Level which is what I'm currently doing. It is split into two sections for OCR anyway and it's different for everyone. But for me it's Ethics and Christian Theology.

Aiming for an A this year but will accept a B minimum. As to be honest it's quite hard like all A Levels
Reply 7
Yes :smile: I really love RE and find it really interesting. At AS Level which is what I'm currently doing. It is split into two sections for OCR anyway and it's different for everyone. But for me it's Ethics and Christian Theology.

Aiming for an A this year but will accept a B minimum. As to be honest it's quite hard like all A Levels

You must be ridiculously smart dude. I like the ethical side of RE because it's really controversial tbh, like abortions and euthanasia are the easiest, otherwise the rest are horrible lol. Did/do you go to a Catholic school?
Original post by Roxeber
You must be ridiculously smart dude. I like the ethical side of RE because it's really controversial tbh, like abortions and euthanasia are the easiest, otherwise the rest are horrible lol. Did/do you go to a Catholic school?

Why thank you haha. Not as smart as you think. But although don't get me wrong, it is hard but I do enjoy it. Yes I go a fairly strict catholic school where by it was compulsory to do RS at GCSE level and if not taken at A Level you must do an hour a week of charitable work. However, I chose to do both haha
Reply 9
Why thank you haha. Not as smart as you think. But although don't get me wrong, it is hard but I do enjoy it. Yes I go a fairly strict catholic school where by it was compulsory to do RS at GCSE level and if not taken at A Level you must do an hour a week of charitable work. However, I chose to do both haha

Omgg, aww, you're so sweet haha. Are you thinking of doing theology at university then?
Original post by Roxeber
Omgg, aww, you're so sweet haha. Are you thinking of doing theology at university then?

Haha thanks. I was thinking of it yes. Still not sure, there's philosophy as an option to, but just can't seem to decide :frown:.

Do you know what you want to do yet? :smile:
Reply 11
Haha thanks. I was thinking of it yes. Still not sure, there's philosophy as an option to, but just can't seem to decide :frown:.

Do you know what you want to do yet? :smile:

Philisophy is just mind blowing. I remember my school took us to Oxford and we went to the philosophy taster session, they asked us about the tarin, whether we would let it run over the child or 4 old men. I really didnt know what to say tbh haha. What would you say??

I think I'll be heading more towards the maths and science side, because those are the only subjects I'm actually good at.
Original post by Roxeber
Philisophy is just mind blowing. I remember my school took us to Oxford and we went to the philosophy taster session, they asked us about the tarin, whether we would let it run over the child or 4 old men. I really didnt know what to say tbh haha. What would you say??

I think I'll be heading more towards the maths and science side, because those are the only subjects I'm actually good at.

That would be a dream Oxford and philosophy haha. Hard choice but if used act utilitarianism as an example then using the hedonic calculus. Then it would have to be the child as four against one, thus the majority beats the minoirty. However, it could be argued that a child is new life etc rather than four old men. Hard choice obviously. But if I had to choose. Sadly the child!

That's good. Was never good at science subjects only good at the art subjects. But especially maths I would advise at A Level is properly one of the best A Levels to have opens up a lot of doors into Business, accounting, finance. As well as of course medicine etc
Reply 13
That would be a dream Oxford and philosophy haha. Hard choice but if used act utilitarianism as an example then using the hedonic calculus. Then it would have to be the child as four against one, thus the majority beats the minoirty. However, it could be argued that a child is new life etc rather than four old men. Hard choice obviously. But if I had to choose. Sadly the child!

That's good. Was never good at science subjects only good at the art subjects. But especially maths I would advise at A Level is properly one of the best A Levels to have opens up a lot of doors into Business, accounting, finance. As well as of course medicine etc

Wow, have you thought about applying to Oxford? I definitely think it is the right path for you from the way you present your ideas.

I'm not only taking maths, im taking further maths too. I think im going to kill myself in year 13...
Original post by Roxeber
Wow, have you thought about applying to Oxford? I definitely think it is the right path for you from the way you present your ideas.

I'm not only taking maths, im taking further maths too. I think im going to kill myself in year 13...

Thank you that's kind. But with my GCSE I don't think there good enough for Oxford :frown:. But still happy to go to places like Durhuam which is still amazing :smile:

That's so good if you can do them both. They would look stunning on your UCAS/ Perosnal Statment!
Reply 15
Thank you that's kind. But with my GCSE I don't think there good enough for Oxford :frown:. But still happy to go to places like Durhuam which is still amazing :smile:

That's so good if you can do them both. They would look stunning on your UCAS/ Perosnal Statment!

What did you get in your GCSEs if you don't mind me asking? The thing is, I think universities like Oxford look for originality in personality, at least that's what I've been told. So I say give it a shot, you never know what happens.

Pray to Jesus I can do them both lol
Original post by Roxeber
What did you get in your GCSEs if you don't mind me asking? The thing is, I think universities like Oxford look for originality in personality, at least that's what I've been told. So I say give it a shot, you never know what happens.

Pray to Jesus I can do them both lol

It's fine to ask :smile: I achieved 8As (including the one A* in RS, but I just say 8As) and 2Bs and I just think that Oxford applicants are the ones with so many A*s and like one A :frown:
That's really kind of you and I think I will :smile:

You will be able too :smile: if you can do maths and have that skill/ talent you'll be fine
Reply 17
It's fine to ask :smile: I achieved 8As (including the one A* in RS, but I just say 8As) and 2Bs and I just think that Oxford applicants are the ones with so many A*s and like one A :frown:
That's really kind of you and I think I will :smile:

You will be able too :smile: if you can do maths and have that skill/ talent you'll be fine

Well done, those grades are really good tbh. Did you revise a lot last year and when did you start intensive proper revision?

Yeah i hope so haha, but its just the statistics that worries me. I hate that topic so much
Original post by Roxeber
Well done, those grades are really good tbh. Did you revise a lot last year and when did you start intensive proper revision?

Yeah i hope so haha, but its just the statistics that worries me. I hate that topic so much

Thank you I was fairly pleased and tbh I should of started earlier possibly. I started end of April which was fairly late but from there I worked very hard and did hours a night and every weekend was dedicated to revison. Plus my time off in exam leave was again pure revison and hardly ever left the house. What GCSE's are you taking?

Yes I've heard that of many people tbh that statistics is complex and boring but so is every topic in every subject really ahah. There will always be that element of something you hate
Reply 19
Thank you I was fairly pleased and tbh I should of started earlier possibly. I started end of April which was fairly late but from there I worked very hard and did hours a night and every weekend was dedicated to revison. Plus my time off in exam leave was again pure revison and hardly ever left the house. What GCSE's are you taking?

Yes I've heard that of many people tbh that statistics is complex and boring but so is every topic in every subject really ahah. There will always be that element of something you hate

The thing is I've only just started proper intense revision since Monday so I hope it'll be productive. I'm taking triple science, RE, Latin, Drama, Spanish, Geography, Further maths.

What element do you hate about RE?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending