The Student Room Group

Sikhs: Would you marry a Muslim?

Scroll to see replies

Nope. I'm already married to a non-Sikh, and he didn't want me to change my religion (not that I would).
Original post by Anonymous
1. Disowned? That's sad to hear.

2. Not interested. It's never a good idea to say that just in case you meet someone.

3. Not a huge fan? If you look at the reality the core principles are the same.

1. It's not sad. I accept that and it really does not bother me. :smile:

2. I am not interested. I will never meet someone, and enter a relationship with someone who is a Muslim. Period.

3. Sure.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Well it's frowned upon if you want the Anand Karaj ceremony. Idk about the scriptures, nor do you most likely as I doubt you've studied the Guru Granth Sahib Ji in depth. So you can't really claim it's not frowned upon in Sikhism.

I would show you a clip but I cba to find it.

Good for you, if that is what you want to do! It's not about "tolerating" it's about acceptance. You have to accept another persons beliefs, possibly even disregard your own in the process which is why I could never marry a Theist/ Diest, my beliefs hugely contrast with theirs.

Interfaith is worse because you both believe in God, but can they both be right? (which is mostly why I'm an atheist...)

But if your willing to make it work, I'm sure you can, you just can't expect both families to be okay with it because they won't.

That's true, it isn't possible to have that ceremony, but I don't wish to. It will be easier for me to just get a marriage registered with her.
And it isn't directly mentioned in the scripture.
I still pursue to carry this on.
Original post by preetg97

2. I am not interested. I will never meet someone, and enter a relationship with someone who is a Muslim. Period.

3. Sure.

1. Good, if that makes you happy, go for it.

2. Never say never. You don't know what's behind the corner in life.

3. And from my interpretation, it is
Reply 44
Why would you wish goodluck to someone attempting to invite a Muslim to zina 0_o Do you want the girl to commit major sins and go to hell?

Chill out, there's no hell.
Original post by preetg97

3. Sure.

2. What about pokemons?
In Islam men are allowed to marry Christians yet women are only allowed to marry a Muslim/revert man. I know its not fair but that's how it is.
Original post by Josb
Chill out, there's no hell.

You're haram af but always make me laugh :L
Reply 48
Original post by CON5P1RACY K1D
In Islam men are allowed to marry Christians yet women are only allowed to marry a Muslim/revert man. I know its not fair but that's how it is.

And Jews. However I suppose that it doesn't happen often these days.
Reply 49
Original post by TSR Mustafa
You're haram af but always make me laugh :L

I take that as a compliment. :hat2:
Original post by Josb
I take that as a compliment. :hat2:

For you , ya
are you going to ask for her hand in marriage? honestly depends on the family if they're tight muslims, then im afraid not. If they see strong love between you 2, then maybe but i feel 95% no, 5% yes
Actually our holy scripture doesn't mention anything about us not being allowed to marry Muslims, or any non-Sikhs.

Who told you that anyway?

If you don't know about sikhi, why you chatting sh*t for fam.

It says clearly that if one is to be a Sikh, they are to marry a Sikh.
If i was in love then yh but my family would hate me deeply
Why would you wish goodluck to someone attempting to invite a Muslim to zina 0_o Do you want the girl to commit major sins and go to hell?

Actually, the Qur'an says that Muslim women (and men) are not allowed to marry polytheists. It doesn't say anything about not being allowed to marry Sikhs.
And that is very true. He was executed by Jahangir.

I don't see why all 1.6 billion+ Muslims should be held accountable for that.

And I really don't see that as a reason to not marry a Muslim...

They are not held accountable. Its a completely separate issue.

From a Sikh's perspective. You can't represent all Sikhs.

Her perspective was representative of all sikhs
Original post by TheALevelStudent
If you don't know about sikhi, why you chatting sh*t for fam.

It says clearly that if one is to be a Sikh, they are to marry a Sikh.

Then where?
Show me where it mentions that
Original post by ArbinderSingh98
If i was in love then yh but my family would hate me deeply

That's sad. Hating you for that is ridiculous.
Rehatnama Bhai Chaupai Singh:

Natha Guru Ke Sikh naal karai

Translating to: Marriage (natha) should be done to a sikh of the guru.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Well mixed-religion marriages are frowned upon in Sikhism. Remember that gurdwara incident awhile back? (The christian man and the Sikh girl).

They are only frowned upon when "Sikh" women insist on marrying a non Sikh person in the gurdwara, disrespecting the tradition of anand karaj purely for the photo opportunity. The whole point of the ceremony is the Union of 2 souls before the guru and if the spouse to be doesn't believe in Sikhism, then how can he understand what is happening and the significance of it. It's disrespectful. However sikhi has no problem with inter racial marriages and I have loads of half English cousins. You simply get a registry marriage and have a party afterwards if that's your desire. Loads of Sikhs marry poles as well

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending