The Student Room Group

Is Heriot-watt good for Maths?

Not sure which from Loughborough, Heriot-Watt and Sheffield to insure. Out of these 3, HW seems to have a more interesting course content, but is it a good uni for Maths?
Anyone alive?
They're all quite similar in rankings, put down HW if you find the course content better
Reply 3
I would have picked Sheffield as this is a better overall University compared to the other two when you look at tables.
Original post by M14B
I would have picked Sheffield as this is a better overall University compared to the other two when you look at tables.

Though league tables are bit pointless, Heriot-Watt are ranked higher than Sheffield on the national league table

Original post by Eternalflames
They're all quite similar in rankings, put down HW if you find the course content better

I don't really want to regret it if I don't make it into my firm choice :/ Tbh course content is almost identical for the first 2 yrs, except some of these uni allow optional modules. This is a hard choice :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by I Closed My Eyes
Though league tables are bit pointless, Heriot-Watt are ranked higher than Sheffield on the national league table

I don't really want to regret it if I don't make it into my firm choice :/ Tbh course content is almost identical for the first 2 yrs, except some of these uni allow optional modules. This is a hard choice :frown:

But Sheffield is Russel group

Have you been on any open/visit days there? Get a feel of how it is, look at the department and talk to some of the students there.
Original post by M14B
But Sheffield is Russel group

That only becomes important for postgrads really (since its just a group of large unis that focus on research extensively). I'm planning on firming St Andrews, and could honestly say its better than Queens Mary and Liverpool.

Original post by Eternalflames
Have you been on any open/visit days there? Get a feel of how it is, look at the department and talk to some of the students there.

Yeah I've been there, and they were all terrible lol. I didn't bother to base my decision on open days, since it doesn't really reflect the teaching quality of the uni, just how well they do to organise the events. It felt totally different when I visited Loughborough and Sheffield to meet a few friends though.

Yeah I've been there, and they were all terrible lol. I didn't bother to base my decision on open days, since it doesn't really reflect the teaching quality of the uni, just how well they do to organise the events. It felt totally different when I visited Loughborough and Sheffield to meet a few friends though.

This thread might be useful to you:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3429925

I would say Heriot-Watt after that

Hi I Closed My Eyes,

Totally understand that it is the biggest decision you will make. I have a little look on the student room most days so if I can help with the decision making process feel free to ask me any questions. Good luck in making your mind up, it seems you are doing a lot of research anyway so you should be fine :smile:

Cheers,
Keir

Hi I Closed My Eyes

Great to hear that you're considering Loughborough :smile:

Let us know if you have any specific questions about the course or the University more generally that may help with your decision.

Teresa
Define 'good'. Is it good in terms of employability? Research department? course content?

Russell Group University's are renowned because of their outstanding contributions to research and their taught modules are usually reflective of this. If you want to go onto further research, you must look into departments research interests. On saying that, all 3 of the uni's mathematics undergraduates courses would prepare you well for higher level study at MSc or PhD level at most institutions and therefore either is a good fit. It depends on the type of mathematics you are interested in, you could start on a BSc/MMath Mathematics at any of your choices, identify your areas of interest in your first year, and opt for a chance into Maths & 'field of your choice' from year 2. Personally all of your backups are solid. May I ask what your 1st choice is?

BSc Mathematics/ MSc Applied Mathematics - Currently reading for a PhD Mathematical Sciences.

Quick Reply

Latest