The Student Room Group

All these fail driving test threads...

Today my driving instructor told me that when i take my test the thing examiners will do is LOOK TO FAIL ME. The whole reason they're there is to check that your driving is up to standard and if it's not then it's a fail, you can't make mistakes in real life....(you can but minimal)

so yea they're looking to fail you so don't give them a reason to. They wanna see you keep coming back because it gives them more and more money so you really need to drive well :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nonsense. Examiners want you to pass. Why should they care how much you spend on test fees? They don't work on commission, they won't get paid more for forcing you to take the test again. Most examiners are ex-driving instructors, who know how the learning experience goes and want to see you become a competent, safe driver. For that reason they're going to be strict, in order to make you a better driver. To make our roads safer. And of course, because they themselves will get assessed from time to time, they have to uphold the standards as part of their job.
Reply 2
Original post by Dez
Nonsense. Examiners want you to pass. Why should they care how much you spend on test fees? They don't work on commission, they won't get paid more for forcing you to take the test again. Most examiners are ex-driving instructors, who know how the learning experience goes and want to see you become a competent, safe driver. For that reason they're going to be strict, in order to make you a better driver. To make our roads safer. And of course, because they themselves will get assessed from time to time, they have to uphold the standards as part of their job.

isn't it their wage? so surely the more ppl they get to take tests the more money they get?
So you think the test is fixed?

Make sure you remember that when you pass. You didn't pass because you can drive, you passed because the examiner needed to pass some more people.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by thefatone
isn't it their wage? so surely the more ppl they get to take tests the more money they get?

No, examiners are salaried. It's the civil service, after all.
Original post by Dez

There salaries come from us having to re-book every time we fail.

It's all been set-up for us to fail.:sigh:

My examiner relished when I failed my first go!

Passed on my second or third round though.:kungfu:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Mr.steal ur girl

Yes, but they would still get paid even if nobody turned up for their test. So in a way, they have more incentive to pass you than to fail you.
Reply 7
Original post by TheMcSame
So you think the test is fixed?

Make sure you remember that when you pass. You didn't pass because you can drive, you passed because the examiner needed to pass some more people.

really? i thought there was always a benchmark at which if you get 1 minor max then you can pass but other than that it's a fail.
Reply 8
Original post by Dez

Original post by Mr.steal ur girl

^^ my point exactly

Original post by Dez
Yes, but they would still get paid even if nobody turned up for their test. So in a way, they have more incentive to pass you than to fail you.

correct but they can get more money the more people who take tests right?
Reply 9

No.
Reply 10
Original post by Dez
No.

oh.. >_>
Reply 11

If you work in McDonalds, do you get more money in your pay packet if you sell more burgers?
^^ my point exactly

What do you think would happen if more students started to fail?

They would probably risk their job because management would think their teaching isn't up to scratch
Reply 13
Original post by Advisor
If you work in McDonalds, do you get more money in your pay packet if you sell more burgers?

of course if you are overlord of all Mcdonalds

Original post by Student403
What do you think would happen if more students started to fail?

They would probably risk their job because management would think their teaching isn't up to scratch

maybe the students just need more practise than the previous generation did?

but thanks you guys for showing me that they probably want me to pass but have to be harsh bc if i make that many mistakes in real life ppl would probably kill me xD
of course if you are overlord of all Mcdonalds

maybe the students just need more practise than the previous generation did?

but thanks you guys for showing me that they probably want me to pass but have to be harsh bc if i make that many mistakes in real life ppl would probably kill me xD

Not really :tongue: if anything studies suggest people are becoming smarter
Reply 15
Original post by Student403
Not really :tongue: if anything studies suggest people are becoming smarter

>.> really? i though the divide between smart and stupid was getting bigger and soon i thought we might have a ton of smart and stupid ppl in the future, no middle ground.
I believe they have certain percentages to meet - so they won't be failing you based on money, but those targets, if anything. But obviously they can't fail you if you're a great driver, they might do it if you're borderline. So make sure you're safe and competent then they have no scope to fail you.
^^ my point exactly

As has been said, examiners have set work hours and a salary. They don't get paid for how many people they test - the money you pay goes to the DSA, not your examiner - and they certainly don't get paid extra to fail or pass people.
Reply 18
Original post by WoodyMKC
As has been said, examiners have set work hours and a salary. They don't get paid for how many people they test - the money you pay goes to the DSA, not your examiner - and they certainly don't get paid extra to fail or pass people.

i see..
Original post by BurstingBubbles
I believe they have certain percentages to meet - so they won't be failing you based on money, but those targets, if anything. But obviously they can't fail you if you're a great driver, they might do it if you're borderline. So make sure you're safe and competent then they have no scope to fail you.

They don't have a quota, it's just something made up by people who are :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin: at driving.

"I drove perfectly but he failed me because of the quota." Okay if you say so.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending