The Student Room Group

An inspector calls 2016

Hello everyone :wink:
I hope GCSE revision is going well for you guys.

For the Insepctor Calls section, I was thinking...
couldn't you just revise all the characters and not do any themes?

Because it gives you a choice of two questions:

>> One question is based on characters i.e. " what do you think is the importance of Inspector Goole and how does Priestley present him?" This format is usually the same every year and it doesn't restrict you to do certain themes on the characters

>> The other question is about themes. i.e. "how does Priestley present ideas about gender in An Inspector Calls?

So if I just revise characters is that okay and logical? It would make it a lot more time effective.
Thanku

Scroll to see replies

Edna. No ifs, no buts. Just questions about Edna.
Original post by Ella_08
Hello everyone :wink:
I hope GCSE revision is going well for you guys.

For the Insepctor Calls section, I was thinking...
couldn't you just revise all the characters and not do any themes?

Because it gives you a choice of two questions:

>> One question is based on characters i.e. " what do you think is the importance of Inspector Goole and how does Priestley present him?" This format is usually the same every year and it doesn't restrict you to do certain themes on the characters

>> The other question is about themes. i.e. "how does Priestley present ideas about gender in An Inspector Calls?

So if I just revise characters is that okay and logical? It would make it a lot more time effective.
Thanku

When discussing characters you are always required to talk about theme. I think it'd be incredibly stupid to revise them over theme
Original post by ScienceFantatic
When discussing characters you are always required to talk about theme. I think it'd be incredibly stupid to revise them over theme

What I meant was that it doesn't directly say which theme to discuss in relation to character. Like it doesn't say "how does Sheila present ideas about gender". It just asks how the ideas about characters are presented. Obviously I have a mix of themes within each character that I'm doing, for example for Sheila - I have themes on age/youth, responsibility, equality etc.
But I don't know if there's any point soley revising the theme, gender, for example.
I'm just trying to get my head around it lol, thanks for the advice
Original post by Woody_Pigeon
Edna. No ifs, no buts. Just questions about Edna.

do you think she'll come up? I think it's more likely to be Sheila or Gerald
Original post by Ella_08
What I meant was that it doesn't directly say which theme to discuss in relation to character. Like it doesn't say "how does Sheila present ideas about gender". It just asks how the ideas about characters are presented. Obviously I have a mix of themes within each character that I'm doing, for example for Sheila - I have themes on age/youth, responsibility, equality etc.
But I don't know if there's any point soley revising the theme, gender, for example.
I'm just trying to get my head around it lol, thanks for the advice

Ah ok, perhaps I came off as a bit aggressive. I think it is worth it revising themes because it might say

" how are ideas about class presented in AIC"? And class inequality etc is a major theme.

I'm also praying Gerald comes up. Sheila would be a dream but I think it's unlikely.
(edited 8 years ago)
yes
Ah ok, perhaps I came off as a bit aggressive. I think it is worth it revising themes because it might say

" how are ideas about class presented in AIC"? And class inequality etc is a major theme.

I'm also praying Gerald comes up. Sheila would be a dream but I think it's unlikely.

nah you didn't - i just wasn't clear enough. Yeah you're right - it might ask something like: " how are ideas about class presented in AIC"? But you get to choose which question to answer.

So let's say it asks you that:
" how are ideas about class presented in AIC"? <<< THEME question

OR you can answer a this question:
" how does priestley present Inspector Goole" << CHARACTER question

There will always be a question about themes and a question for characters, every year. So if I just revised characters (with themes in the answer) I can ignore the THEME question.
I hope this makes sense...? :h:

Omg i'd love sheila to come up, I don't want Gerald. Sheila and Gerald have never come up so they might this year... fingers crossed
aaaahaha, yeah i think we'd all be screwed if she came up :wink:
Original post by Ella_08
aaaahaha, yeah i think we'd all be screwed if she came up :wink:

Is there always a character question? I think last year Mr Birlimg was the only character or something not to have come up in this spec.
Is there always a character question? I think last year Mr Birlimg was the only character or something not to have come up in this spec.

Yup, every year there will always be a question about a character. What do you mean about Mr B? u mean before last year he'd never came up?
Original post by Ella_08
nah you didn't - i just wasn't clear enough. Yeah you're right - it might ask something like: " how are ideas about class presented in AIC"? But you get to choose which question to answer.

So let's say it asks you that:
" how are ideas about class presented in AIC"? <<< THEME question

OR you can answer a this question:
" how does priestley present Inspector Goole" << CHARACTER question

There will always be a question about themes and a question for characters, every year. So if I just revised characters (with themes in the answer) I can ignore the THEME question.
I hope this makes sense...? :h:

Omg i'd love sheila to come up, I don't want Gerald. Sheila and Gerald have never come up so they might this year... fingers crossed

Quoted post, yeah I have a feeling it will be relationships. The relationship between Eric and Sheila came up once. That's an awful question. I have loads to say for those two.

If it was social responsibility though....:. I think everyone would cry of happiness :biggrin:
Original post by Ella_08
Yup, every year there will always be a question about a character. What do you mean about Mr B? u mean before last year he'd never came up?

I think so, on that specification.
I think so, on that specification.

So he definitely won't be coming up this year, unfortunately :/ what characters are you revising most? On second thought I might revise individual themes a bit. & ah god i hope it's not relationships
Original post by Ella_08
So he definitely won't be coming up this year, unfortunately :/ what characters are you revising most? On second thought I might revise individual themes a bit. & ah god i hope it's not relationships

Probably Gerald and Sheila and for theme I'm praying its class but it might be guilt

Looked through all questions from 2003 onwards and there was on guilt at some point. But now i know there'll definitely be a character question I'm quite confident :smile:
Nervous for OFMAM tho
(edited 8 years ago)
Probably Gerald and Sheila and for theme I'm praying its class but it might be guilt

Looked through all questions from 2003 onwards and there was on guilt at some point. But now i know there'll definitely be a character question I'm quite confident :smile:
Nervous for OFMAM tho

How do you find pre 2012 questions? I looked at ur image and it's scary how they asked you about mr and mrs birling for the character question. Now I know that i think i'm mainly just doing character revision. Thanks for the help, i feel less freaked out now lol

And same... not even got onto revising that. Leaving that for wednesday :u:
Original post by Ella_08
How do you find pre 2012 questions? I looked at ur image and it's scary how they asked you about mr and mrs birling for the character question. Now I know that i think i'm mainly just doing character revision. Thanks for the help, i feel less freaked out now lol

And same... not even got onto revising that. Leaving that for wednesday :u:

That's from old spec, so it's unlikely they'll ask those format of questions, unless it's relationships. But the content of the questions are still relevant.

The website freexampapers

You're welcome :smile: you helped me also
I would love to have a question on Edna: it gives you a chance to discuss the social hierarchy and how her lack of appearance shows how under appreciated she is.
That's from old spec, so it's unlikely they'll ask those format of questions, unless it's relationships. But the content of the questions are still relevant.

The website freexampapers

You're welcome :smile: you helped me also

true true true. Thanku for the website, that'll be really helpful.
good luck
teamwork :danceboy: #battling gcses together since 1991
Original post by danielwinstanley
I would love to have a question on Edna: it gives you a chance to discuss the social hierarchy and how her lack of appearance shows how under appreciated she is.

yeah good point actually. Although I think with the lack of quotes and evidence, it may be a struggle

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending