The Student Room Group

How to answer when people ask why I'm single?

I'm a girl nearing her mid-20s and still in education. How do I answer the question "why are you single" when people ask? Everyone at my part-time job is female and in their 20s too, so conversation is always about guys.
It makes me feel uncomfortable as I've never dated, but don't want to be rude when asked :/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
"Too busy right now, and all the good ones seem to be taken."
Just say you haven't found anyone you particularly like yet. It's nothing to be ashamed of.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Just say you haven't found anyone you particularly like yet. It's nothing to be ashamed of.

I know it's nothing to be ashamed of, but nearing your mid 20s and having never dated? People often like to ask when my last relationship was and then it gets awkward.
Its only awkward because you're making it so. It shouldn't be something to be ashamed of.
Original post by Anonymous

This, basically. :smile:
Reply 6
three of my siblings had kids before they were 20

my brother asked me why im not engaged the other day :s-smilie:

seriously just tell ppl you're not ready for anything serious/not looking/no time
There's no specific age you should be settled down by. I'm only turning 21 this year and quite recently I found myself questioning why I'm still single, and worrying about still being single in 5 years time. But then I realised it doesn't actually matter. When the time is right I will find the one.
Just say you're single and ready to mingle then dance awkwardly until they go away
I tell people that no ones interested in me.
Been rejected enough times to believe it too.
But just say something like if focussing on my education now and will date when I'm ready to.
Im not seeing the problem in just saying you havent found the right person yet? Smile as well. There are lots of variations, but the point is you dont have to make an excuse for yourself. The rest is none of their business and it certainly shouldnt make you self conscious.

Dont forget a lot of those who have the big weddings will get divorced later on, so its better you find someone who is right for you.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/08/19/34-creative-answers-for-when-youre-asked-the-still-single-question-for-the-1000th-time-5350770/
http://mic.com/articles/114892/13-women-with-the-perfect-responses-to-why-they-re-single#.x3fuHamaR
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Goaded
three of my siblings had kids before they were 20

my brother asked me why im not engaged the other day :s-smilie:

seriously just tell ppl you're not ready for anything serious/not looking/no time

were they all engaged/married before they had kids?
I rarely get asked that probably because I'm only 18. Just tell them you haven't found your Prince Charming yet... :u:
Usually tell them it's none of their business.
Too busy making monies.
Reply 15
"I'm in a year-long bet with my friend and if I can stay single for the entire year, I get £700"

Or
"Why are you single?"
"Single? Well what does it mean to be single? Philosophers have pondered for years over what the concept of single means and yet there has not been an ounce of success.
How could I, a mortal, ordinary, insolent human being fathom the very essence of being single let alone sufficiently answer your questions about the matter?
I should it think it obligatory for you to retract your questions, apologise for such foolishness, and be wary of what you ask in the future."

Or
"Because I'm patiently waiting for that time when I encounter that special someone who I know I can fully depend upon and trust.
Someone who makes my life feel absolutely wonderful and worth living, and I don't feel the need to desperately plunge into meaningless love like you lot have"

Then walk away like a champ.
Wear some shades.

If you ever say any of these, know you are loved for life by me.
Say the truth.

"I have high standards".

Before whiteknights come to slag me off, let me remind you that there are only two reasons to be a single female - be single by choice or not be willing to date the guys willing to date you (standards). All you have to do as a girl is put yourself out there and wait for a guy to chase you.
Reply 17
"It's none of your business"

It's rude but the question is rude too (and stupid). There are two solutions, either you're not interested in dating at the moment or you just haven't found the right person. Either way, it's really none of their business.
Because I haven't got a partner?
What course are you studying at uni may I ask? Just say the right person hasn't come up yet or some such.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending