The Student Room Group

Law and Engineering I DONT KNOW WHERE TO GO

Basically i am in my second year of an Electrical/Electronic Engineering degree at Bristol uni; and I have come to the realisation that I would like to work in a more sociable environment.

I want to switch courses (yay for postgrad funding). Currently I am on a MEng course and thinking of dropping down to BEng; because i wont be eligible for postgrad funding if i already have a masters

Although I enjoy engineering, i feel like i am out of touch with the rest of the world and I want to be involved in a variety of subjects!

What to do!!!!! I would really like to do postgrad Medicine but its way too competitive and I have no experience.

Law seems like the next best option; I have had an interest in it previously. I would need a GDL to qualify and not many (good) universities offer that.

Is University of Law any good?
I think the GDL is pretty standard and the ones that probide it are ones that also provide the LPC. LPC was originally only run by UoL as they were owned by the Law Society then I think they sold off to some venture capitalist? The only other provider at the Time was BPP, then some law schools started to run the LPC and GDL. thats why not every Uni does it.. the ccourse will be similar and not much snob value, so is just pick what location youd like. UoL is middle of the road if there was a rating it definitely wouldnt be the worst, but if there was a top then it wouldnt be there either imo.

If yu do the GDL then you might wnat to consider doing the lPC in the same place as you are settled by then, unless ofc you fancy a move. You may strike lucky and get a TC and a firm willing to pay for both. Law can be very ccompetitive when it comes to getting a job.
Look into patent law, there's quite a few companies who will hire and train recent engineering graduates for that, pays pretty well too.
Original post by hexagonalRod
Basically i am in my second year of an Electrical/Electronic Engineering degree at Bristol uni; and I have come to the realisation that I would like to work in a more sociable environment.

I want to switch courses (yay for postgrad funding). Currently I am on a MEng course and thinking of dropping down to BEng; because i wont be eligible for postgrad funding if i already have a masters

Although I enjoy engineering, i feel like i am out of touch with the rest of the world and I want to be involved in a variety of subjects!

What to do!!!!! I would really like to do postgrad Medicine but its way too competitive and I have no experience.

Law seems like the next best option; I have had an interest in it previously. I would need a GDL to qualify and not many (good) universities offer that.

Is University of Law any good?

I'm confused. Do people on your course not talk to each other of have interested outside of the course?
don't take law - chances are you'll drop out like me if you're not fully informed on how boring the course is going to be yet still happen to enjoy it
Original post by AlmightyJesus
don't take law - chances are you'll drop out like me if you're not fully informed on how boring the course is going to be yet still happen to enjoy it

How is that the most likely course of action?
Original post by Nameless Ghoul
How is that the most likely course of action?

I did qualify that - if they researched the **** out of the course content (which is long and tiring in and of itself, obviously) and they *still* thought "yeah I guess I'll give this a go" then that's fair enough. I'm saying that people shouldn't assume that law is as glamorous as the media makes it out to be, or that it is necessarily lucrative in and of itself

edit: sorry I actually just noticed a glaring typo in that older message - I meant to say "if you still get informed yet think you'll happen to enjoy it" if that makes more sense - a lot of people obviously don't do enough research into their course choice before taking it
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by applicant3345
I think it's impressive that you're studying EEE at Bristol.

I will be starting my EEE degree this year (at another university). Is there anything I should know before starting?

Nah, just relax and get on with it. You'll be fine.

Original post by Helloworld_95
Look into patent law, there's quite a few companies who will hire and train recent engineering graduates for that, pays pretty well too.

Really? That sounds brilliant but I can't seem to find any such opportunities anywhere on the internet. Do you know anyone who has such experience, and most universities have entry requirements of an undergraduate law degree? For IP/Patent law that is.

Original post by 999tigger
I think the GDL is pretty standard and the ones that probide it are ones that also provide the LPC. LPC was originally only run by UoL as they were owned by the Law Society then I think they sold off to some venture capitalist? The only other provider at the Time was BPP, then some law schools started to run the LPC and GDL. thats why not every Uni does it.. the ccourse will be similar and not much snob value, so is just pick what location youd like. UoL is middle of the road if there was a rating it definitely wouldnt be the worst, but if there was a top then it wouldnt be there either imo.

If yu do the GDL then you might wnat to consider doing the lPC in the same place as you are settled by then, unless ofc you fancy a move. You may strike lucky and get a TC and a firm willing to pay for both. Law can be very ccompetitive when it comes to getting a job.

Do you think it is worth it? My ex did law so I have an idea of the content; because I used to go through her notes with her. I am really struggling to see a way out through this, afraid of not being accepted back into an engineering firm later as well. It is quite easy to get a decent job with a 2:1 in EEE from Bristol atm

Do you think it is worth it? My ex did law so I have an idea of the content; because I used to go through her notes with her. I am really struggling to see a way out through this, afraid of not being accepted back into an engineering firm later as well. It is quite easy to get a decent job with a 2:1 in EEE from Bristol atm

It depends. I'm not you and there are no guarantees. Before you make the jump you need to know why you are doing it and what you want to do.

That requires a bit of research. Why not delat it , do an EE job, get a bit of experience and then decide whether you feel like commiting the £20-40k

You could always try and get a TC before based on EE experience.

Its not coming across as you having thought this through and you appear to be stumbling into something.
Original post by JohnGreek
This x100

Spoiler

I love the fact that you can't find any opportunities on the internet....
http://www.dehns.com/site/careers/career_as_patent_attorney/ (first google result)
It depends. I'm not you and there are no guarantees. Before you make the jump you need to know why you are doing it and what you want to do.

That requires a bit of research. Why not delat it , do an EE job, get a bit of experience and then decide whether you feel like commiting the £20-40k

You could always try and get a TC before based on EE experience.

Its not coming across as you having thought this through and you appear to be stumbling into something.

TC?
Original post by Colinj451
I love the fact that you can't find any opportunities on the internet....
http://www.dehns.com/site/careers/career_as_patent_attorney/ (first google result)

No firm would hire an engineer with no law background

edit: Actually, just looked at the website. Thanks bud
(edited 7 years ago)
TC?

Training contract
Training contract

I've just been looking at Patent attorneys and there are quite a few firms who take patent attorneys on as trainies. Very competitive though
I've just been looking at Patent attorneys and there are quite a few firms who take patent attorneys on as trainies. Very competitive though

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/advice/planning/jobprofiles/Pages/patentattorney.aspx

At some stage you will need a big think to decide what you want to do and why.
https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/advice/planning/jobprofiles/Pages/patentattorney.aspx

At some stage you will need a big think to decide what you want to do and why.

I really want to do it for the money and exposure to new technology from a wider perspective compared to working for one company on a single issue

but it is way too competitive to get in

Oh dear.

I suggest you look into vacation schemes and training contracts before making anymore assumptions about the field. Some firms (quite a lot of them) will pay for your GDL and LPC, as well as provide a maintenance grant for each year. Google is your friend.

Allaboutlawcareers and targetcareers are good places to start, get to researching..

And if you're put off by competition, I'd suggest just not bothering. You really have to want this career path for it to come into fruition.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's wrong. That's very wrong.
I really want to do it for the money and exposure to new technology from a wider perspective compared to working for one company on a single issue

but it is way too competitive to get in

Busy at the moment, but if you wnat it enough and you have the entry fee, then you should compete. Support dont undermine yourself or people will walk all over you. Be positive. Dont say if, but say how and when.

Quick Reply

Latest