The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I was also given a hard time, in high school especially, about my shyness/quietness. I think it's because people know we aren't likely to say anything back, so we make for easy targets :frown:
Because bullies target people they know who won't fight back or give a reaction. If a bully tried to go after someone who wasn't so reserved and could fight back then there wouldn't be much point. Bullies are pathetic.
Bullies are cowards, they 'stand up' to people who are easy targets, they pick on quiet people because they think they won't fight back. I'm sorry you're going through this right now buf definitely speak to someone about it if you haven't already and remember that it is nothing to do with you, it's their problem!
Bullies target vulnerable people.

Vulnerable people are quite often shy/quiet and won't speak out.
Quiet people often get viewed as being weird. This isn't just in school, it can happen in jobs too. It's generally viewed as a negative trait. And, as already said, bullies are cowards and only go after the easy ones.

I was at a wedding recently and the guy I was sitting next to turned to me and was like "you don't say much, why are you so quiet?". I wanted to be like "dude, stfu you speak too much". For some reason it's ok to comment on someone being introverted or quiet but no one sees the opposite as commentable.
Original post by FireFreezer77
I don't get why quiet people are always the ones being picked on.
I'm quiet myself and being bullied at college for it.
I mean we can't help it so why the :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin: do we have to go through this just because we don't talk much.
Anyone else here agree with me on that.
If you do have any experiences you can share them but I'm not forcing you.
It would just be nice to know that I'm not alone in this.

I'm quiet and I get bullied I never understood this, I've been so kind and patient with everyone yet every single time I'm the one who's picked on
Original post by Leviathan1741
I was also given a hard time, in high school especially, about my shyness/quietness. I think it's because people know we aren't likely to say anything back, so we make for easy targets :frown:

You were given a really hard time!
I guess so. The thing is I'm gonna flip out soon and I'm not sure what will happen tbh but I hope they get the message if I do end up doing that. I'll try to control it though.
I'm glad you got through it though and haven't had to put up with any of it recently!
Just say "I don't give a sh*t about your life, why do you care about mine?"

But in seriousness, you don't talk, they judge you, you talk too much, they judge you, you say the wrong thing, they'll judge you. Just don't give a damn and do your thing.

People treat people how they see themselves, they were once in your position and the only way out of it was to put someone else in that position. That's how bullies work.
(edited 8 years ago)

That's true I've spoken up about it if anyone says anything to or about you speak up its the only way to stop it
You were given a really hard time!
I guess so. The thing is I'm gonna flip out soon and I'm not sure what will happen tbh but I hope they get the message if I do end up doing that. I'll try to control it though.
I'm glad you got through it though and haven't had to put up with any of it recently!

Yeah, try not to flip out though (tempting as that may be!), because that will likely only make things worse for you. The best thing to do is try to ignore them, even though it's difficult. You won't have to put up with them forever :smile:

Also remember the saying: empty vessels make the most noise (people who talk a lot are often not very clever) :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Blondie987
Bullies are cowards, they 'stand up' to people who are easy targets, they pick on quiet people because they think they won't fight back. I'm sorry you're going through this right now buf definitely speak to someone about it if you haven't already and remember that it is nothing to do with you, it's their problem!

Well that sucks big time! I would fight back but it's me against 7-8 of them so I'm gonna lose, badly.
I don't know who to speak to though. My college tutors are crap and I don't really know anyone else that won't make a big deal out of it.
I feel like it is me though. I'm the odd one out, I'm completely different to them (not just because I'm quiet).
Well that sucks big time! I would fight back but it's me against 7-8 of them so I'm gonna lose, badly.
I don't know who to speak to though. My college tutors are crap and I don't really know anyone else that won't make a big deal out of it.
I feel like it is me though. I'm the odd one out, I'm completely different to them (not just because I'm quiet).

What exactly do they say?
Original post by Novascope
Because bullies target people they know who won't fight back or give a reaction. If a bully tried to go after someone who wasn't so reserved and could fight back then there wouldn't be much point. Bullies are pathetic.
cute. and true.
Original post by Sabertooth
Quiet people often get viewed as being weird. This isn't just in school, it can happen in jobs too. It's generally viewed as a negative trait. And, as already said, bullies are cowards and only go after the easy ones.

I was at a wedding recently and the guy I was sitting next to turned to me and was like "you don't say much, why are you so quiet?". I wanted to be like "dude, stfu you speak too much". For some reason it's ok to comment on someone being introverted or quiet but no one sees the opposite as commentable.

I don't think quiet people are weird. I totally understand (although I am quiet myself so that's probably why). Yeah I've experienced in jobs too. Wasn't fun at all! Gave me OCD so it's really impacted my life.
Do they pleasure out of it or something?

I get that a lot.
I don't understand that either tbh. Why people always comment on people being quiet is beyond me but they never comment on people who talk a lot. What the :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:s up with that!
Original post by zXcodeXz
I'm quiet and I get bullied I never understood this, I've been so kind and patient with everyone yet every single time I'm the one who's picked on

I know the feeling.
It's :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:ing sad that people pick on the nice ones. I guess you have to be horrible to people to be liked in the world. :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:ing stinks if you ask me.
Hopefully things are getting better for you?
Original post by Longshot1000

^^^
Original post by Longshot1000

They take the piss out of me being quiet. They're always making fun of me (not to my face but loud enough so that I can hear them). They also ask me extremely personal questions and force me to answer them, touch me inappropriately (which also messes up my OCD, which they don't know about) and they run away from me at lunchtimes to get away from me.
But making fun of me for being quiet is what hurts the most (well that and the running away).
They say things like if I ever got a girlfriend (theyve told me I'll be single forever) that we'll have so much fun sitting in silence 24/7. It's just things like that.

Give me time to write it out!
(edited 8 years ago)
Yeah, try not to flip out though (tempting as that may be!), because that will likely only make things worse for you. The best thing to do is try to ignore them, even though it's difficult. You won't have to put up with them forever :smile:

Also remember the saying: empty vessels make the most noise (people who talk a lot are often not very clever) :tongue:

It is very tempting. I know I could cause some damage but I would get into trouble for it and I don't want that.
Ignoring them is easier said than done (as you said) seeing as they come and sit on me or touch me.
I sure hope not! That would be hell.

I haven't heard that one before. I'm liking the sound of that. It does seem to make sense tbh.
It is very tempting. I know I could cause some damage but I would get into trouble for it and I don't want that.
Ignoring them is easier said than done (as you said) seeing as they come and sit on me or touch me.
I sure hope not! That would be hell.

I haven't heard that one before. I'm liking the sound of that. It does seem to make sense tbh.

It's actually one of my favourite sayings, because it's true :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending