The Student Room Group

Only doing squats.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dairychocolate
Yeah, I lift in the 6-8 rep range. The only concern is the emphasis on the pushing part of the movement (quad-dominant) but I'm hoping that my deadlifting balances that out a bit by working my hamstrings.I laugh at people doing set after set of leg curls and leg extensions. Wtf are they even playing at? Just squat ffs.

If you are doing the movement properly I.e correct depth and form, you will definitely feel it in your hammys and glutes. I always feel sore in my abs/core after a squat day too.
Original post by ChillGod
If you are doing the movement properly I.e correct depth and form, you will definitely feel it in your hammys and glutes. I always feel sore in my abs/core after a squat day too.

I do feel it in my hamstrings and glutes. I go arse to grass with a slightly wide stance.

I just assumed that the concentric part of the movement emphasises the quads more than the hammies.
I do feel it in my hamstrings and glutes. I go arse to grass with a slightly wide stance.

I just assumed that the concentric part of the movement emphasises the quads more than the hammies.

Yeah you're right but it balances out cause on the eccentric part of the movement your hammys and other parts of you posterior chain fire up to keep you stabilised and balanced.

In answer to your original post, since you're tired of leg press n all that machine bs, I recommend squats and lunges. Maybe some Romanian deadlifts. Get the job done and tough as hell!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Wait so you do trap bar DL as your standard "normal" DL?

Personally, I'd get bored doing back squats twice a week + I find front squats so
much more enjoyable.

Yeah Ik, its whatever suits you best and you can stick to that will bring you results regardless if it isn't the the most optimal. Adherence is king.

what is ur ethncity
Original post by ChillGod
Yeah you're right but it balances out cause on the eccentric part of the movement your hammys and other parts of you posterior chain fire up to keep you stabilised and balanced.

In answer to your original post, since you're tired of leg press n all that machine bs, I recommend squats and lunges. Maybe some Romanian deadlifts. Get the job done and tough as hell!

Ah yes, you're right. Going to incorporate some stiff leg deadlifts. I used to struggle with them due to tight hammies but they should be fine now. Lunges are ghey.
Ah yes, you're right. Going to incorporate some stiff leg deadlifts. I used to struggle with them due to tight hammies but they should be fine now. Lunges are ghey.

With 38kg Dumbbells in your hands, being ghey is worth it, they kill. You can also go heavy and do it with a barbell
Original post by redbuthotter
> Does them one time

Now they're vital, like this explains why you're so mediocre. Joke they were :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:ing incredible. I still have some doms.

I've done them twice now, no DOMS and I already feel less mediocre FYI
Original post by SmashConcept
I've done them twice now, no DOMS and I already feel less mediocre FYI

Its impressive how slow you can make a 140kg squat look (even with a belt).
Its impressive how slow you can make a 140kg squat look (even with a belt).

I made the bar look slow that day though TBF.
Original post by SmashConcept
I made the bar look slow that day though TBF.

Fair point, 7 reps with what looks like doubles speed, pretty ballsy.
Fair point, 7 reps with what looks like doubles speed, pretty ballsy.

My back was sore after that, I think I was tighter in the hips than usual. Felt a lot better today, but that's probably just because I'm already getting benefits from belt squats.
can't imagine any issues with it if you're deadlifting too. could always add back in a couple sets of GHRs or RDLs or hypers or whatevs if you think you need it. i have a friend whose leg day is often just 'arrive, hit some kind of squat pr, leave' and his legs look solid. he does deads on back day too iirc

Quick Reply

Latest