The Student Room Group

What's honestly so good about Oxbridge?

Scroll to see replies

Besides your life must truly be awful if your best years will be at uni :erm:
Some people actually value studying and education instead of shitposting on TSR all day and assuming life is about going to good clubs
Original post by Princepieman

One third of all practising barristers graduated from Oxbridge.
I want to go to Oxbridge not because I love studying for the sake of it, but for the £££.

I'm surprised at all these people saying that the number one most compelling reason for them to want to go to Oxbridge is their own love of study. Are they really telling the truth, or do they just want to look like angels?
Nothing but the name which could carry you far in certain fields I suppose but yeah.
Because they're more prestigious than any other universities in Britain. Other universities just don't instantly impress family and friends like Oxbridge. Also, a lot of people want to part of a university that has such a rich history of sending students to the highest positions in society- numerous Prime Minsters and people in powerful positions have studied at Oxbridge- I'd even say that studying at Oxbridge gives you a higher chance of landing these political positions (especially PPE at Oxford). Also, Oxbridge has better teaching than any other university and people would want the best for their money. In addition to this, the experience of studying at Oxbridge is completely different from other universities because of the unusual traditions- this creates a sense of uniqueness that is not matched by any other university.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Abstract_Prism
One third of all practising barristers graduated from Oxbridge.

Yeah, for some careers Oxbridge is definitely an advantage, especially for politics and other difficult to find/non-traditional careers. But for most jobs, employers would judge a CV based on the person's extracurricular activities and motivation for the job.
(edited 8 years ago)
One third of all practising barristas graduated from Oxford.

true dat
Original post by the bear
O & C are the still, beating heart, of Englishness. Nowhere else ensures the continuation of our precious way of life; year after year they mould bright young things into thoughtful leaders of the next generation.
We no longer go out to manage the Empire or decode Nazi messages, but in our offices and kitchens we carry on the great project.

Which one did bear go to? :h:
I want to go to Oxbridge not because I love studying for the sake of it, but for the £££.

I'm surprised at all these people saying that the number one most compelling reason for them to want to go to Oxbridge is their own love of study. Are they really telling the truth, or do they just want to look like angels?

The biggest reason why I want to go to Cambridge is to get away from home :lol:

You see, if I chose a uni that's not Oxford or Cambridge as my top choice, my parents would be like 'there's Manchester just around the corner, what's the huge difference?'
You can't say that with Oxbridge.
(They still said it though ngl)

That's my reason. Plus I really want to study/work in the US after I graduate and anything to make getting there easier is good
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by stefano865

the best better one. obvs.

:hat2:

Cambridge :teehee:
Original post by Serine Soul
Cambridge :teehee:

Really? Cool. :biggrin:
I went to an open day for Medicine at Cambridge, and have to say I loved the layout of the different colleges etc - the mature students college that I would have been applying to looked amazing.

That being said, the actual course at Cambridge is not for me. 3 years of theory only with no clinical work didn't appeal to me at all. I also didn't really like the style of the professor giving the lecture.

Horses for courses innit.
Really? Cool. :biggrin:

I think so anyway...
Well, there are several reasons people might choose Oxbridge:

- Money: I definitely remember reading an article recently about graduate salaries and Oxbridge was right up there

- Prestige/ general bragging rights: some people just like showing off that they had the grades/ luck to get into such a prestigious uni

- Teaching quality: we generally have a lot of contact hours and very small group supervisions/ tutorials, something other unis don't offer

- Surroundings: most colleges or departments are in old, famous buildings, both cities are very historical and English places, they are both very nice cities to live in

- Extracurriculars: OK, it's generally known that the nightlife is terrible, but the range and accessibility of clubs and societies for students to get involved in is unbelievable. Every college has their own version of important societies (sports teams, subject groups, etc) which complete novices can join, plus there are a crazily huge range of university wide societies, some of them very famous such as the Union (debating society) and Footlights (comedy).

- Pressure: schools/ parents undeniably put a fair amount of pressure on some top achieving students to go to Oxbridge, probably most motivated by prestige
Original post by JBLondon
I went to an open day for Medicine at Cambridge, and have to say I loved the layout of the different colleges etc - the mature students college that I would have been applying to looked amazing.

That being said, the actual course at Cambridge is not for me. 3 years of theory only with no clinical work didn't appeal to me at all. I also didn't really like the style of the professor giving the lecture.

Horses for courses innit.

It doesn't matter that much for medicine anyway, as long as you're at another top uni :yep:

Don't go to Oxbridge for the money. You should go three because you love learning your subject and want to study it in an environment that gives you great teaching hours opportunity to learn alongside other talented people. Oxbridge itself isn't automatically proffered by employers compared to the other top universities (LSE, UCL, Imperial etc...) and you will be chosen based on your extracurricular achievements and your work experience, not because of the Oxbridge brand.
Original post by 雷尼克
My sisters friend who went to study history at Oxford still hasn't found a job since graduation last November

That's because they did a History degree...
Original post by richpanda
That's because they did a History degree...

Yes. Don't blame the university, blame the course

#STEMMasterRace

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending