The Student Room Group

Foundation Diploma at the Royal Drawing School

Haven't seen a thread for this, was wondering if anyone on this is going/has an offer for the Royal Drawing School

Scroll to see replies

I doubt it? As far as I know this isn't a proper art foundation year, it's just bunch of art classes.
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
I doubt it? As far as I know this isn't a proper art foundation year, it's just bunch of art classes.

No it's a proper foundation year, it's more fine art based though
Hey yeah ive got a place for next year, although im not sure what ill choose between there and csm
Reply 4
i've been looking for a thread like this for ages, i have an offer! ((: it's my first choice for foundation year so i'll accept unless i get into the degree course i applied to
Reply 5
Original post by Snufkin

um, rude, it is a 'proper' foundation year...
Reply 6
Original post by electricpancake
Hey yeah ive got a place for next year, although im not sure what ill choose between there and csm

if i was you i would chose rds as you get your own tutor and such good one to one tuition! I went on a course at csm where you get an interview for the foundation at the end of the course and it helps you to get, in but i dropped out because i found it really intimidating and i found that a lot of the students that go to the foundation course are international
Original post by Pigeonie
um, rude, it is a 'proper' foundation year...

It doesn't issue an accredited qualification, so in that sense it isn't a proper art foundation year. It seems to be a place to build a portfolio and learn new skills in preparation for a Fine Art degree, which is fair enough, but I think it is important to distinguish that from 'proper' foundation years which are qualifications in their own right.
Reply 8
i've been looking for a thread like this for ages, i have an offer! ((: it's my first choice for foundation year so i'll accept unless i get into the degree course i applied to

yeah i got an offer too! excited
Reply 9
Original post by oonaghq
yeah i got an offer too! excited

ikr its so exciting! are you planning on accepting it or do you have other offers youre considering?
Reply 10
Original post by Snufkin
It doesn't issue an accredited qualification, so in that sense it isn't a proper art foundation year. It seems to be a place to build a portfolio and learn new skills in preparation for a Fine Art degree, which is fair enough, but I think it is important to distinguish that from 'proper' foundation years which are qualifications in their own right.

the actual qualification isnt really what taking a foundation year is about though, this is just as good of a pathway to a degree as other foundation years, and a very highly regarded one. anyway, this is a thread for offer holders/applicants who are excited about this course & not a place for snarky comments ((:
I agree with Snufkin. This is not the recognised course which carries Ucas points and which is the usual qualification required by art degree courses:
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/getting-started/entry-requirements/tariff/tariff-tables/1246
It may help with preparing a portfolio, just as the 'proper' one does, but given that it isn't the one recognised by Ucas, I can't see that it is going to be an advantage to take it. That is not to say it won't have its uses, but students need to be aware of the difference and enrol on it with their eyes open.
Reply 12
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I agree with Snufkin. This is not the recognised course which carries Ucas points and which is the usual qualification required by art degree courses:
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/getting-started/entry-requirements/tariff/tariff-tables/1246
It may help with preparing a portfolio, just as the 'proper' one does, but given that it isn't the one recognised by Ucas, I can't see that it is going to be an advantage to take it. That is not to say it won't have its uses, but students need to be aware of the difference and enrol on it with their eyes open.

I beg to differ! This course is highly regarded by the most prestigious Universities! As a parent of a child who has been offered a place for September I have done my homework! If you bother to research where the RDS Alumni have gone on to study their degree courses you will find that they are studying at Edinburgh;, CSM; Chelsea: Falmouth: Newcastle to name but a few. Like RADA and the Royal College of Art, the Royal Drawing School offers more kudos than just Ucas points. You will find that actually most art course tutors are more interested in your raw talent as well as the skills you have gained in your foundation year. This is demonstrated through your portfolio and is more tangible than Ucas points Your portfolio shows them your potential and ultimately this is what will get you the offers you desire! Although my daughter has received offers for other foundation courses, she will be accepting her place at the RDS because what the course offers is unique. If you have been offered a place at the RDS, consider yourself one of the lucky ones!
Original post by carrie63
I beg to differ! This course is highly regarded by the most prestigious Universities! As a parent of a child who has been offered a place for September I have done my homework! If you bother to research where the RDS Alumni have gone on to study their degree courses you will find that they are studying at Edinburgh;, CSM; Chelsea: Falmouth: Newcastle to name but a few. Like RADA and the Royal College of Art, the Royal Drawing School offers more kudos than just Ucas points. You will find that actually most art course tutors are more interested in your raw talent as well as the skills you have gained in your foundation year. This is demonstrated through your portfolio and is more tangible than Ucas points Your portfolio shows them your potential and ultimately this is what will get you the offers you desire! Although my daughter has received offers for other foundation courses, she will be accepting her place at the RDS because what the course offers is unique. If you have been offered a place at the RDS, consider yourself one of the lucky ones!

Differ away. This course may well serve its purpose in building a portfolio, as the Foundation Diploma does, but it does not carry Ucas points and it is for those who attend it to be aware of the fact. That is my point.
Reply 14
Differ away. This course may well serve its purpose in building a portfolio, as the Foundation Diploma does, but it does not carry Ucas points and it is for those who attend it to be aware of the fact. That is my point.

I appreciate the point you are making but I just feel that when choosing a course that is the 'right fit' for you, you must take into account more than just how many Ucas points it may give you. Art foundation students are in the enviable position of already knowing their A level results when they apply for their degree. Many Uni's will stipulate their entry requirements and as I'm sure you are aware, they will usually either want particular grades or Ucas points from 3 or 3.5 A levels. Correct me If I'm wrong but I haven't seen a course advertised where you need a particular amount of Ucas points from your foundation course. They just want you to have completed a foundation in preparation for your degree. When it comes down to it, an amazing portfolio showing growth and development is what will get you an offer. Of course any foundation can offer the chance to build a decent portfolio. My point is the RDS has developed an impressive reputation in the few short years it has been running the foundation course and it's students have gone on to study at some highly respected universities because although intense, the course provides them with every opportunity to succeed through its small class sizes and high student/staff ratio. It should, in my opinion, be given equal consideration when choosing where to study for a foundation. Obviously if all you are concerned about are how many Ucas points you might earn then the RDS will not be the right place for you!
Original post by carrie63
I appreciate the point you are making but I just feel that when choosing a course that is the 'right fit' for you, you must take into account more than just how many Ucas points it may give you. Art foundation students are in the enviable position of already knowing their A level results when they apply for their degree. Many Uni's will stipulate their entry requirements and as I'm sure you are aware, they will usually either want particular grades or Ucas points from 3 or 3.5 A levels. Correct me If I'm wrong but I haven't seen a course advertised where you need a particular amount of Ucas points from your foundation course. They just want you to have completed a foundation in preparation for your degree. When it comes down to it, an amazing portfolio showing growth and development is what will get you an offer. Of course any foundation can offer the chance to build a decent portfolio. My point is the RDS has developed an impressive reputation in the few short years it has been running the foundation course and it's students have gone on to study at some highly respected universities because although intense, the course provides them with every opportunity to succeed through its small class sizes and high student/staff ratio. It should, in my opinion, be given equal consideration when choosing where to study for a foundation. Obviously if all you are concerned about are how many Ucas points you might earn then the RDS will not be the right place for you!

Art schools will usually give a conditional offer based on passing a Foundation Diploma course at a certain level, usually merit. This course does not appear to have differing levels of proficiency, so whether this is an issue for them is for them to decide. I am sure that if the portfolio is of sufficient merit then an offer will be forthcoming, but once again, it needs to be said that it is not the same qualification as the Foundation Diploma which forms the basis of most offers at university level.
Reply 16
...anyway, I'm about to send off my offer acceptance form, so exciting! :smile:
Reply 17
the actual qualification isnt really what taking a foundation year is about though, this is just as good of a pathway to a degree as other foundation years, and a very highly regarded one. anyway, this is a thread for offer holders/applicants who are excited about this course & not a place for snarky comments ((:

Snarky comments not intended! Congratulations! But wow no qualification is the equivalent to doing a portfolio prep course - personally I would be super careful and only do an accredited course with the qualification - which is what every degree worth its salt asks for, pretty much! Am sure the course is fab, but consider it very carefully as next year when applying you don't want to get a pile of rejections on not meeting enternance requirements! As sometimes when they have equally matched portfolio scores, they will decide by the qualification. Good luck 🍀
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
Art schools will usually give a conditional offer based on passing a Foundation Diploma course at a certain level, usually merit. This course does not appear to have differing levels of proficiency, so whether this is an issue for them is for them to decide. I am sure that if the portfolio is of sufficient merit then an offer will be forthcoming, but once again, it needs to be said that it is not the same qualification as the Foundation Diploma which forms the basis of most offers at university level.

100% agree!
Reply 19
Original post by electricpancake

Pick CSM - fab rep and yes it's full of internationals but that's not a bad thing - just do your thing and work your ass of! Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest