The Student Room Group

UCL gave me an offer of AAA even though I am predicted AAB

:/ I don't think I can get AAA

Scroll to see replies

This is what insurance choices are for. UCL are a top uni and so they give top offers. If you really want to go there, firm them and put a lower offer as your insurance, you won't get them to change their mind about the offer.
I'd be tempted to contact them along the lines of:

Thank you for your offer, which I am delighted to receive.
It is for AAA and I wanted to draw your attention to my predicted grades that are AAB.
Obviously I will work very hard to achieve the highest possible grades but I would be grateful for confirmation that the offer was intended to read AAA.

Is there anything to lose?
Original post by MonteCristo

It is for AAA and I wanted to draw your attention to my predicted grades that are AAB.
Obviously I will work very hard to achieve the highest possible grades but I would be grateful for confirmation that the offer was intended to read AAA.

They are unlikely to withdraw your offer if you do this, but be prepared for them to say that is the requirement. Remember, there will be lots of people applying predicted AAA so feel proud that they've picked you - they obviously think you have a chance at getting AAA so believe in yourself :smile:
Reply 4
Y o u c a n d o i t !
Reply 5
Why did you apply to UCL if you were not going to get the grades?

Yes you maker yourself look like someone who doesnt understand the system. It will also meet with a no.
They know what they are doing, they set a target telling the OP to raise their game and they think there is potential. Take the challenge of being able to meet the grade and someone that fits in at the Uni or go somewhere else.
Whether you think you can or you cant, you are right.
Try to get AAA, if you try but don't manage to, you can at least say that you tried your best. UCL wouldnt have given you the offer if they didn't think you could manage it.
Reply 8
Think of it like this you apply to cambridge they offer you a place for one A* possibly 2A*s maybe even 3A*s you just gotta go for it.

Oh yes! He would lose the opportunity to claim, come results day. that his results are an aberration, that the B grade is a mystery and can he please still be admitted.
Original post by Thomb
Think of it like this you apply to cambridge they offer you a place for one A* possibly 2A*s maybe even 3A*s you just gotta go for it.

Yeah, all those A*A*A* Cambridge courses.
Reply 11
Original post by Nameless Ghoul
Yeah, all those A*A*A* Cambridge courses.

okie was perhaps an exaggeration but you get the point?
Original post by aladdin818
:/ I don't think I can get AAA

That's a normal response from the uni - offers don't have to match predicted grades (if they did everyone would ask for lower predicted grades), and, unless their typical offer is AAB, it shouldn't be surprising.

If you're hopeful that you can get AAA with a lot of work, maybe firm UCL and insure somewhere asking for AAB or ABB. If you're pretty certain that you can't get AAA, firm somewhere that asks for AAB, and insure somewhere that asks for ABB. UCL is a top university, so don't be surprised if they reject you if you don't get AAA, regardless of your predicted grades.

Other posters have suggested emailing UCL, but I honestly don't see the point - they won't change their offer, and on results day, as someone else has mentioned, you'd lose any hope of persuading them to let you in as the B was 'unexpected'.
You never know, AAA isn't that hard from AAB. If you get your revision in tip top condition and not let stress get to yourself then it's more than possibly. AAB to AAA isn't as bad as AAC or AAD or even AAE ( sounds like a country in the United Arab Nations) and anyways be happy! What course is it for?
Original post by Thomb
okie was perhaps an exaggeration but you get the point?

Not really. Cambridge offerees usually have wiggle room to drop drop from predicted A*A*A to A*AA or even A*A*A* to A*AA. Sometimes 2 or 3 grades can be dropped. OP has to go up one grade to meet their offer. A lot riskier.
Reply 15
Not really. Cambridge offerees usually have wiggle room to drop drop from predicted A*A*A to A*AA or even A*A*A* to A*AA. Sometimes 2 or 3 grades can be dropped. OP has to go up one grade to meet their offer. A lot riskier.

Presumably not impossible though. Cambridge do make offers of at least A*A*A.
If you dont think you can make it and arent willing to risk it, then choose somewhere else. they could have had many people in your position to fill a few spots and they made the same offer to them knowing only a % would make it.
Original post by Thomb
Presumably not impossible though. Cambridge do make offers of at least A*A*A.

They make offers for A*A*A* as well.
Reply 18
They make offers for A*A*A* as well.

Point is that the OP can make that offer - Universities don't make impossible offers.
Reply 19
Find an extra hour a day to study for that third module, you'd be amaze what spending time with something can do. Good skill to have for uni too. It becomes less about being smart and more about putting in time.

You can do it :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest