The Student Room Group

Muslims- do you support Sharia Law in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kralamoonard
Thank you for the words. And no, not at all, I don't think that you're a bigot, and that's what discussions are for at the end of the day - I learn from you and you learn from me - and it's good that we both have an open mind about it :smile:

But let me just clarify btw, be under no illusion - I don't base my morals on Sharia Law lol, as my own personal morals, beliefs and etiquette are based on: my parents teaching, my personal Dr teacher at the mosque's teachings, which are based upon Fiqh, Tawheed and teachings from the Quran that are not only compatible for me and my own faith, but also for me to actually function as a respectable member of the public, as as Muslim, in this society.

For me to base them on Sharia Law would be a bit weird considering that I don't actually know what Sharia Law is - nor would I need to actively carry out parts of Sharia Law. I only know of some rulings - that even then, change on a case by case basis by people far more knowledgeable than I'll ever be -- and even then, it's mainly to be implemented (and open to interpretation) on a jurisdictional level. Islamic jurisprudence is a whole other thesis that people actually spend years of their lives studying heh.

It's nothing for me to actually concern myself about -- because I haven't encountered something in my life that I needed to refer to Sharia Law for. It's not like there's a book for me to do that lol. If in doubt about something in my faith, I tend to ask my parents or personal mentor at my local mosque, someone who is far more knowledgeable than me.

Just thought it'd be interesting for you to know. It was a good convo btw. Enjoy the rest of your night! :smile:

I guess really what i meant was you base your morals on islamic teachings. I see the difficulty of following something that isnt fully inscribed in a book haha. It's always fascinated me how so many young muslims living in western countries continue to follow their religion. Younger people of other religions (including mine) have often ignored their religion and just wave it around.

The sad thing is that extremists like ISIS have endorsed Sharia law and consequently western people have made stereotypes over this.

I'm certainly now better informed of your religion, thank you and good night to you too :h:
Original post by Trapz99
Guys, why bother posting when the thread is clearly aimed at Muslims only.

Okay but I was just pointing out that the question was illogical and stupid, and objectively and subjectively the clear answer to the question is 'no'. whether you're a muslim personally or not doesn't change that the uk is clearly not a muslim country.
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
Okay but I was just pointing out that the question was illogical and stupid, and objectively and subjectively the clear answer to the question is 'no'. whether you're a muslim personally or not doesn't change that the uk is clearly not a muslim country.

It will be in 20 years or so.
Original post by Trapz99
Would you support Sharia Law being implemented in the UK?
Would you support Britain being labelled as a Muslim country?
Would you support Britain deploying air strikes to fight against Islamic state?
Do you agree that the following are terrorist groups: Al-Qaeda, ISIS, Khorasan, Taliban, Hamas, Al-Shabab?

Please note that I am NOT trying to insult or offend Muslims or Islam by asking these questions. However, it would be interesting for me to know people's individual views. I am not trying to stir up debate about Muslims or imply that there is a link (or not) between Islam and terrorism.

Khorasan is a terrorist group? Are you referring to some of Khorasan, or all of it?
Original post by Trapz99
Do you agree that the following are terrorist groups: Al-Qaeda, ISIS, Khorasan, Taliban, Hamas, Al-Shabab?

Please note that I am NOT trying to insult or offend Muslims or Islam by asking these questions. However, it would be interesting for me to know people's individual views. I am not trying to stir up debate about Muslims or imply that there is a link (or not) between Islam and terrorism.

1. Yeah muslims would fully support it in the UK, nay, the whole world as well but not if it was achieved by killing innocent people (the basis of ISIS - They want shariah but disgrace shariah rules whilst doing so)
2. If Britain's a Muslim country because shariah was introduced without killing innocents? Sure.
3. Britain deploying air strikes against ISIS? Everybody in the world agrees with this as long as it didn't kill innocent people in the process (which it did and Cameron knew that).
4. ISIS I know for sure are terrorists but I don't have much knowledge on the rest because I'm only 19 so I was only around to see the formation of ISIS, not the rest,

I know you're not trying to cause trouble don't worry. Did I answer your questions? I'm 100% sure I gave you an answer that all muslims would agree with.
Very interesting questions to raise. It's amazing how many people don't understand what a hypothetical question is though.
Sharia law has a lot of benefits even from a secular perspective. It would prevent crime drugs and illegal sex and ISIS would not attack us.
Original post by Someboady
I'm Muslims and No. Sharia Law cannot be enforced in a Non-Muslim Country. people like Anjem Choudary are idiots and they are not scholars and they have not studied the religion and they can't even understand basic Arabic.
Muslims make up less than 5% of this country... And they should be well aware that Sharia is a personal law not just a country's law. So..

No I don't support Sharia Law being implemented in this country.
Britain cannot be labelled as a Muslim country simple because it is not.
No I don't support British involvement in Syria.
I agree that Al Qaeda, Taliban, ISIS, Al Shabab are terrorist groups. I am not familiar with Khorosan and Hamas.

You wouldn't want shariah law in the whole world if it was achieved without killing any innocent people?
Original post by Butternuts96
1. Yeah muslims would fully support it in the UK, nay, the whole world as well but not if it was achieved by killing innocent people (the basis of ISIS - They want shariah but disgrace shariah rules whilst doing so)
2. If Britain's a Muslim country because shariah was introduced without killing innocents? Sure.
3. Britain deploying air strikes against ISIS? Everybody in the world agrees with this as long as it didn't kill innocent people in the process (which it did and Cameron knew that).
4. ISIS I know for sure are terrorists but I don't have much knowledge on the rest because I'm only 19 so I was only around to see the formation of ISIS, not the rest,

I know you're not trying to cause trouble don't worry. Did I answer your questions? I'm 100% sure I gave you an answer that all muslims would agree with.

Would you support stoning people for homosexual sex?
Would you support Sharia Law being implemented in the UK? Nope.

Would you support Britain being labelled as a Muslim country? Nope.

Would you support Britain deploying air strikes to fight against Islamic state? Well, yes and no. No because it claims innocent lives...

Do you agree that the following are terrorist groups: Al-Qaeda, ISIS, Khorasan, Taliban, Hamas, Al-Shabab? No way...why even ask this :colonhash:
Original post by ♥Samantha♥

He himself isn't interested in finding the answer, he's interested in gauging what the attitudes of Muslims are.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by noticemesenpai
Would you support Sharia Law being implemented in the UK? Nope.

Would you support Britain being labelled as a Muslim country? Nope.

Would you support Britain deploying air strikes to fight against Islamic state? Well, yes and no. No because it claims innocent lives...

Do you agree that the following are terrorist groups: Al-Qaeda, ISIS, Khorasan, Taliban, Hamas, Al-Shabab? No way...why even ask this :colonhash:

You don't think ISIS or Al-qaeda are terrorists?
Original post by KingBradly
You don't think ISIS or Al-qaeda are terrorists?

Oh they are but why even ask this? Like who would believe it? By it i mean their ideology.
Original post by Trapz99

This is a badly worded question. The first one.

For a start Sharia means law, it means a Islamic theocratic law, but it means law. So 'Sharia' is suffice. You are making Sharia an adjective when it's more of a noun, like 'law'. Semantics I guess.

Secondly, there have been countless surveys and polls on each of these things. There are even many sites that amalgamate the surveys and polls done by various organisations like PEW etc.

"A large minority of British Muslims subscribe to values that clash with those held by the majority of British people. The proportion ranges from around 15% to 30% depending on the topic.27% had some sympathy with the killers of the Charlie Hebdo staff. 11% believe those who publish images of Mohammed deserve to be attacked. 20% have some sympathy with young Muslims who leave the UK to join fighters in Syria.29% would prefer to live in Britain under Sharia law rather than British law. 17% believe it is appropriate that Muslims who convert to other religions are cut off by their family and even worse, 31% agree Muslim conversion to another religion is forbidden and punishable by death.Muslims themselves see the divide. 16-20% say there is a clash between Islam and British values."
Original post by noticemesenpai
Oh they are but why even ask this? Like who would believe it? By it i mean their ideology.

But he's just asking if you think they're terrorists. Some people say Hamas aren't.
Original post by KingBradly
But he's just asking if you think they're terrorists. Some people say Hamas aren't.

People who kill others are just pure evil to me. Like, it's wrong to even force people to believe in a religion. Just evil.
Original post by Serine Soul
Certain things I am open to doing (but not yet done) are completely against the religion

So why do you identify as Muslim :biggrin:
Original post by Butternuts96

The question was for Muslims, and do you have evidence to support your last statement? Being "pretty sure" doesn't cut.
Original post by WBZ144
The question was for Muslims, and do you have evidence to support your last statement? Being "pretty sure" doesn't cut.

Butternuts is a Muslim
Original post by WBZ144

I am a muslim. And pretty sure DOES cut. In fact, make that 100% sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending