The Student Room Group

Birmingham vs Exeter?

Hey guys :ciao:

I'm currently at uni, but am not overly fussed on my course or the university itself, and so I've applied to study International Relations (starting 2016). I'm not 100% sure if I will swap, but I want to keep my options open. I've managed to narrow down my options to the University of Birmingham and the University of Exeter. I've visited both, and they both seem like great uni's with a great social side to them, but I'm a little stuck.

UOB is known for great graduate prospects, Birmingham is a big city so good on the social life side of things, and my boyfriend is actually studying IR there atm so I can nag him for help with the degree if I go ahead with it! The city is a little rough though, and the course is quite heavily seminar focused (which I don't love, although I realise all IR courses are probably like that).

Exeter is a lovely town, and is ranking highly in the league tables atm. I really liked the campus, and just had a really good feel for it when I visited. Accommodation seems super nice too. I'm not sure if its graduate prospects are as good as Birmingham's though, and I can't really pin point why I like it, I just do (which may be a bad thing).

So yeah, it would be awesome to hear some advice. My other options are Sheffield and Loughborough, which according to Which are actually better for future earnings(?), but I'm fairly sure I won't go for those. Thanks! :smile:
Original post by Dear_Rhian

I'm currently at uni, but am not overly fussed on my course or the university itself, and so I've applied to study International Relations (starting 2016). I'm not 100% sure if I will swap, but I want to keep my options open. I've managed to narrow down my options to the University of Birmingham and the University of Exeter. I've visited both, and they both seem like great uni's with a great social side to them, but I'm a little stuck.

UOB is known for great graduate prospects, Birmingham is a big city so good on the social life side of things, and my boyfriend is actually studying IR there atm so I can nag him for help with the degree if I go ahead with it! The city is a little rough though, and the course is quite heavily seminar focused (which I don't love, although I realise all IR courses are probably like that).

Exeter is a lovely town, and is ranking highly in the league tables atm. I really liked the campus, and just had a really good feel for it when I visited. Accommodation seems super nice too. I'm not sure if its graduate prospects are as good as Birmingham's though, and I can't really pin point why I like it, I just do (which may be a bad thing).

So yeah, it would be awesome to hear some advice. My other options are Sheffield and Loughborough, which according to Which are actually better for future earnings(?), but I'm fairly sure I won't go for those. Thanks! :smile:

They are all good universities. On that account I would select the town/City I would be most happy with :smile:
Original post by Dear_Rhian
:smile:

Firstly, they are both Russell Group Universities which will stand you in good stead regarding career prospects.

Me and many of my friends feel the same you do about Exeter- we can't "pinpoint" why we like, we simply just do. Exeter is my firm choice for this year.

Overall I'd say you should follow your instinct. If Birmingham is cheaper and nearer your BF then that has a lot of bonuses. On the other hand if you could see yourself happy at Exeter, and you clearly liked it, then why not. Follow your gut, and keep your options open ;-D
From your message, it appears that Birmingham has many positives. Your bf studies there, you appear to like the course there, he can potentially help you when you need help, the uni has good graduate prospects and the social life is good enough for you.

Exeter is indeed a lovely place to live and study, but the benefits do not outweigh Birmingham's benefits. The accommodation might be nice, but the overall experience may not be for you (it seems).

According to these, I advise that you choose Birmingham because it seems you may be happy there.

Btw, I don't have any links with Birmingham or Exeter and I am just giving an objective opinion.

Good luck. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Snazzyzebra
Firstly, they are both Russell Group Universities which will stand you in good stead regarding career prospects.

Me and many of my friends feel the same you do about Exeter- we can't "pinpoint" why we like, we simply just do. Exeter is my firm choice for this year.

Overall I'd say you should follow your instinct. If Birmingham is cheaper and nearer your BF then that has a lot of bonuses. On the other hand if you could see yourself happy at Exeter, and you clearly liked it, then why not. Follow your gut, and keep your options open ;-D

Thanks for the advice! I know neither are bad uni's at all, so I'm sure it'll work out whichever one I choose. I am a little worried that my gut is saying Exeter because it's somewhere new, as opposed to because I like it. What course are you applying for at Exeter? :smile:

Original post by Wired_1800
From your message, it appears that Birmingham has many positives. Your bf studies there, you appear to like the course there, he can potentially help you when you need help, the uni has good graduate prospects and the social life is good enough for you.

Exeter is indeed a lovely place to live and study, but the benefits do not outweigh Birmingham's benefits. The accommodation might be nice, but the overall experience may not be for you (it seems).

According to these, I advise that you choose Birmingham because it seems you may be happy there.

Btw, I don't have any links with Birmingham or Exeter and I am just giving an objective opinion.

Good luck. :smile:

Thanks for your reply, especially as someone with an objective opinion! Yeah, when I wrote this post I was definitely leering towards Exeter, but now I'm leering towards Birmingham. I'm so indecisive, it's awful.
Reply 5
Bump!

Quick Reply

Latest