The Student Room Group

who loves maths?

Scroll to see replies

love it :woo:
Original post by Nerrad
I have a friend who self-taught himself S3 and S4 and is looking forward to take the exam this June.

Well wish him good luck! Sure it must be fine if you love stats and would like to be a statistician (or similar), its just when compared to pure maths its extremely different which many people dislike.
Original post by Student403
LOL

I heard S3 was alright - not sure about S4 xD

lets just hope part Ia covers the interesting side of stats :tongue:
Original post by EnglishMuon
Well wish him good luck! Sure it must be fine if you love stats and would like to be a statistician (or similar), its just when compared to pure maths its extremely different which many people dislike.

What are you referring to as pure maths?
lets just hope part Ia covers the interesting side of stats :tongue:

Anything's better than S1 :rolleyes:
Original post by B_9710
What are you referring to as pure maths?

Pure maths is anything which covers mainly abstract mathematics such as Analysis, Group Theory, Vector Spaces, Matrices, Metric spaces, differential equations (and much more) :smile:
Pure maths is anything which covers mainly abstract mathematics such as Analysis, Group Theory, Vector Spaces, Matrices, Metric spaces, differential equations (and much more) :smile:

I thought you were referring to pure maths as C1-4 or FP1-3(4 for AQA). Because I was going to say how those A-level modules are not 'pure maths' at all.
Original post by B_9710
I thought you were referring to pure maths as C1-4 or FP1-3(4 for AQA). Because I was going to say how those A-level modules are not 'pure maths' at all.

Yep, but the stuff they cover is actually pure maths.
Lol, all these people gcse students saying gcse maths is easy/boring, its quite unlucky that you couldnt or didnt choose level 2 further maths. We do some AS level stuff and Further pure stuff like matrices
Yep, but the stuff they cover is actually pure maths.

Not really. There is no proper pure maths at A-level. (maybe for some exam board there is a little bit).
Maths is horrible for a great deal of education I've heard, as a lot of it can be done through rote learning - a tedious affair.
Original post by Username3097486
Lol, all these people gcse students saying gcse maths is easy/boring, its quite unlucky that you couldnt or didnt choose level 2 further maths. We do some AS level stuff and Further pure stuff like matrices

Yes, and it is good preparation for A-level maths but it is very basic. For example rotation matrices can only be multiples of 90 degrees right? A good intro though.
Original post by B_9710
Not really. There is no proper pure maths at A-level. (maybe for some exam board there is a little bit).

Well apart from the way its pretty 'weak' and does not require much understanding, it's on pure maths (as far as I know). What would you say it is then?
ow yeth oi lurve may'th *presses glasses towards nose* huh huh huh
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by mk_cbc
I always see people hating on maths lmao i wanna see how many people actually like it.
personally i love it.

Original post by B_9710
Yes, and it is good preparation for A-level maths but it is very basic. For example rotation matrices can only be multiples of 90 degrees right? A good intro though.

Yes. We also learn differentiation, but not integration. Im more interested in the calculus aspect though rather than geometry, but thats just my taste. I've heard that basic integration is not much harder, and is basically opposite of differentiation but idk.

The main thing im struggling with is trig identities (im gcse level pls don't mock me)
Well apart from the way its pretty 'weak' and does not require much understanding, it's on pure maths (as far as I know). What would you say it is then?

Abstract algebra - group theory, fields and ring theory, Galois theory. Number theory, Stuff like that. Obviously there are loads more areas.
Original post by Username3097486
Yes. We also learn differentiation, but not integration. Im more interested in the calculus aspect though rather than geometry, but thats just my taste. I've heard that basic integration is not much harder, and is basically opposite of differentiation but idk.

The main thing im struggling with is trig identities (im gcse level pls don't mock me)

The identities can be hard at first, but just practice them and you'll get better at them - like most things really.
Have a go at these
http://www.madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/standard_topics/trigonometry/trigonometric_identities_with_solutions.pdf
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by B_9710
Abstract algebra - group theory, fields and ring theory, Galois theory. Number theory, Stuff like that. Obviously there are loads more areas.

Yep. A level core modules are just dumbed down versions of the basic ideas in these areas.
Original post by B_9710
The identities can be hard at first, but just practice them and you'll get better at them - like most things really.
Have a go at these
http://www.madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/standard_topics/trigonometry/trigonometric_identities_with_solutions.pdf

What the...I don't think ours is that advanced we do stuff like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0g0GFML_jE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnXZWA7ENUM

but...if i manage to master them...i could try

Quick Reply

Latest