The Student Room Group

First Car Thread - Show off or not..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
:lol: Really? It was ~£500.

Some insurance people valued it at like £375 so maaaaybe we got ripped off but it has a brand new MOT with no advisories so I think it's okay.

Honestly I don't know anything about cars and this one was a bit of a panic buy after the storms last week wrecked my SO's motorbike, so I'm just glad we didn't end up with a rusty old pile of junk. Fingers crossed it holds out :crossedf:

Haha ooops I read 2011 :P

Nice! Did you get full service history? :smile:

Ooh well best of luck - know many mechanics or engineers? They're always good to ask for car advice!
Reply 21
1999 Ford Focus. Still have it 2 and a bit years after buying it. On its last legs now though :/
Reply 22
Original post by dhr90
1999 Ford Focus. Still have it 2 and a bit years after buying it. On its last legs now though :/

Oh no! Whats wrong with it?
Reply 23
Original post by neb789
Oh no! Whats wrong with it?

Too many things going wrong with it. Blower fan only works on max speed, which isn't such an issue for the next few months but will be annoying come winter, the fan itself has a bearing or something failed so it squeals like a pig as the saying goes when I do switch it on.
Blower direction knob has failed so its stuck on windscreen, leads to cold feet in winter.
Burning oil from somewhere and its not economical to even find out where let alone fix it.
Idle control valve seems to be failing for the second time
An o2 sensor in the exhaust throws up a fault code every few months but it got through the MOT ok.
Tyres need replacing soon.
Dodgy connection in the CD player.
One of the fog lights has been smashed by a stone.

Just spent £500 replacing all the brakes, silly given the car is worth less than that, but I was between jobs at the time so couldn't justify replacing it.
Reply 24
Original post by dhr90
Too many things going wrong with it. Blower fan only works on max speed, which isn't such an issue for the next few months but will be annoying come winter, the fan itself has a bearing or something failed so it squeals like a pig as the saying goes when I do switch it on.
Blower direction knob has failed so its stuck on windscreen, leads to cold feet in winter.
Burning oil from somewhere and its not economical to even find out where let alone fix it.
Idle control valve seems to be failing for the second time
An o2 sensor in the exhaust throws up a fault code every few months but it got through the MOT ok.
Tyres need replacing soon.
Dodgy connection in the CD player.
One of the fog lights has been smashed by a stone.

Just spent £500 replacing all the brakes, silly given the car is worth less than that, but I was between jobs at the time so couldn't justify replacing it.

Ouch that's quite the repair bill!
Original post by neb789
Can I see? Booked your test yet? :smile:

Booked for next week. :smile:

Screen Shot 2016-04-04 at 14.29.01.jpg
Reply 26
Original post by rayquaza17
Booked for next week. :smile:

Screen Shot 2016-04-04 at 14.29.01.jpg

Oooh good luck!!
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
I bought my first ever car this weekend!! :yay:

2001 Renault Megane with a spoiler, an electric sunroof and fully functional central locking :cool:

:gangster:

Gratz!!

After I pass my test, I'll be driving a Nissan Note (2011) until I can sort my own car out... :erm:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by neb789
Don't miss it then? :smile:

No haha, soon be balling in a Merc 😎would you miss a Corsa? 😂
I brought a Peugeot 207 2010, 8months after passing my test first time 😆
Original post by Andy98
65 plate Ford Focus Titanium for me, got my test later.

No I'm not rich, I just get motability

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooooh nice! I got a 62 Fiesta Zetec, which I absolutely LOVE!!! Focus was a bit out there for me :biggrin:
Reply 31
Original post by neb789
Not bad! :smile: I miss having a car :frown:

Good luck with your test by the way! Excited or nervous?

Well I was looking forward to it, but I failed again

Original post by mobbsy91
Ooooh nice! I got a 62 Fiesta Zetec, which I absolutely LOVE!!! Focus was a bit out there for me :biggrin:

Haha yep, great car

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98

Haha yep, great car

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awww man! Was that your second time?? And it'll come!! When you hoping to get the next test in?
Reply 33
Original post by Andy98

Haha yep, great car

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh no! What happened?
Reply 34
Original post by neb789
Oh no! What happened?

Awww man! Was that your second time?? And it'll come!! When you hoping to get the next test in?

Yeah second time, got 4 minors this time so I'm getting there but it's a bit annoying. Hopefully I'll be able to get the next one in in a coupla weeks
Reply 35
Original post by Andy98
Yeah second time, got 4 minors this time so I'm getting there but it's a bit annoying. Hopefully I'll be able to get the next one in in a coupla weeks

I got pretty lucky and passed mine first time but I was so close to failing :L
Original post by Andy98

That should be good! I always remember my instructor saying "if you don't pass it doesn't matter, just book one for as soon as possible when there's a cancellation", and then right before the test he was like "You know, if you fail this, you're going to be ridiculed by your sister, and you'll never hear the end of it" (my sister was never going to pass first time, very very nervous, and my instructor was expecting her to fail... by some miracle, she passed first time with no minors...)
Original post by neb789

For me, the one main thing I was worried about was the bloody manoeuvre... If I'd had parallel park, I think that would've been game over for me... fortunately just got reverse round corner!
Reply 37
Original post by neb789

Fair enough
I have a Fiag Grande Punto currently. Had i for just over 10 months.
It sufers from massive understeer. Sometimes the front just washes over the road. I think its the tyres tbh. Theyre cheap and made by a brand i havent heard of before (evergreen).
They were brand new when i bought the car too, theyre crap!
Apart from that its perfectly fine, a little underpowered, but its a good first car.
Reply 39
That should be good! I always remember my instructor saying "if you don't pass it doesn't matter, just book one for as soon as possible when there's a cancellation", and then right before the test he was like "You know, if you fail this, you're going to be ridiculed by your sister, and you'll never hear the end of it" (my sister was never going to pass first time, very very nervous, and my instructor was expecting her to fail... by some miracle, she passed first time with no minors...)

Meh, I'm gutted cause I was expecting to pass; plus I can't afford another test myself so I need my parents to start paying :tongue:

Hahaha that guy sounds good

Quick Reply

Latest