The Student Room Group

New electric car unveiled by Tesla

Scroll to see replies

What do epople think of the chances of the car actually being delivered on time given Tesla have often had trouble with meeting deadlines in the past?
Another product of the global warming myth. This car uses electric produced by fossil fuels to power extremely expensive batteries than need replacing every 5 years. Hydrogen is the way forward.
I prefer steam cars...in terms of reducing pollution. And I think it's quite cheaper. But oil companies don't like this kind of car. Lol.

1459786810726.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hydrogen is **** for the following reasons:

It can't be stored in a conventional tank.
The technology is not very scalable. Current filling stations can fill about 9 cars per day.
It has to be super cooled into a liqud or kept under high pressure before it can be pumped or stored anywhere in any volume.
It happens to be very explosive.
It can only currently be produced by electrolysis, which requires a lot of electricity and is inefficient.

Electric cars have non of the above drawbacks and still emit no point of use emissions. Electric cars also eliminate the 'processing' phase of fuels, because you directly charge the car. For example: Refining oil to get petrol/diesel and electrolysis for producing hydrogen. Both of which happen to requre monumental amounts of electricity and that's before you've even moved anywhere.

There are many more reasons why electric cars are better than both hydrogen and conventional but I won't go into it here.

So, saying hydrogen is better then electric is a bit silly.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Madeline_H95
Another product of the global warming myth. This car uses electric produced by fossil fuels to power extremely expensive batteries than need replacing every 5 years. Hydrogen is the way forward.

Please post an educated opinion or don't post at all.
Original post by Pegasus2
Please post an educated opinion or don't post at all.

Electric doesn't naturally occur. It's produced by coal power stations. The batteries need replacing 5-6 years at a cost of £5000. Great value isn't it?
Electric doesn't naturally occur. It's produced by coal power stations. The batteries need replacing 5-6 years at a cost of £5000. Great value isn't it?

Ok, a couple of things:

Petrol/diesel doesn't naturally occur either. It's produced by coal power stations.

Batteries don't need replacing every 5 years. In the case of Tesla, they will most probably outlast the life of the car. The model S is predicted (from current acutual wear) around 1% range loss every 30,000 miles.

In the case of Nissan, which aren't nearly as advanced as Tesla, yes there is some range loss. I think it's about 20% after 70,000 miles. Either way, both offer a replacement for free under warrenty, which is somthing like 8 years.

Since you think £5,000 is a lot of money to spend on running a car, I can tell you either don't drive or that you haven't calculated how much you spend on petrol/diesel over 5 years.

Also, I'll be impressed when you manage to drive 8,000 miles for free on the power of the sun alone in your petrol car. Somthing that's already been achieved in a Nissan Leaf.
Original post by Drewski
They're $600m in debt.

Electric cars are a good idea, they're just not good yet. Battery technology isn't good enough yet.

Is 600m supposed to be a red flag? Not too long ago tesla paid a 500m loan when all Sarah plain and mitt Romney could do was bad mouth tesla motors because of the government loan.

I'm sure closer analysis will safely conclude this debt financing is passive aggressive at best.

Baseless claim. do you think "this car" can run on power produced by renewable sources of energy?

Plus this might come off as as a shocker, but tesla's batteries are recyclable. Ohmylord right?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending