The Student Room Group

Non - academic achievements - med?

basically I don't have any extra-curricular is what I'm saying.

All my interests outside of school I can't exactly mention on a med application.

I have done things like Young enterprise and some random first aid thing my school did - but I thought these weren't academic ? :/

Also - I did bronze DofE but that was during GCSE.
I have some "work experience" aka volunteering at a care home and talking to old people for 2 weeks - no wait I also did some cleaning there too lol - I have 2 certificates from attending some safety lectures there, they were supposed to write me a reference but they never did and this was like 2 years ago so no point asking now.

I did a befriend the old person scheme for nearly a school year, but I don't have hard "evidence" for this and tbh it's just talking to old people again.

I am gonna get some work exp at a hospital over this summer so that'll be good.

I'm just worried I don't have any on-going extra curricular - what can I do ?

and please don't say "start extra-curricular" cause idk what, and exams are close so I wanna focus on that :/ how much will med schools batter me for this.

most of the things I do, are just random psych research or watch documentaries on med related stuff which actually sparks my interest and knowledge alot but it's difficult to reference them formally.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by medhelp

Also - I did bronze DofE but that was during GCSE.
I have some "work experience" aka volunteering at a care home and talking to old people for 2 weeks - no wait I also did some cleaning there too lol - I have 2 certificates from attending some safety lectures there, they were supposed to write me a reference but they never did and this was like 2 years ago so no point asking now.

I did a befriend the old person scheme for nearly a school year, but I don't have hard "evidence" for this and tbh it's just talking to old people again.

Ask your school DoE organiser to help you chase up the volunteering reference. Without it you won't get your badge.

And "talking to old people" is good... try to put a diary together with the dates and ask a teacher (or the scheme organiser) to sign it off for you.

By the way, your PS isn't a bullet point list of things you've done. It should reflect on the experiences and what you've learned from them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by jneill
Ask your school DoE organiser to help you chase up the volunteering reference. Without it you won't get your badge.

And "talking to old people" is good... try to put a diary together with the dates and ask a teacher (or the scheme organiser) to sign it off for you.

By the way, your PS isn't a bullet point list of things you've done. It should reflect on the experiences and what you've learned from them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

the volunteering at a care home wasn't part of DofE it was extra I did in year 10 or 11, I did brownies for DofE :smile:

yes I do realise that about the personal statement I just feel like they might be like "oh wait have you been doing this whole time whilst studies" and truth is my day to day extracurricular is quite self-indulgent.

It's a bit difficult to say what I've learned from the second care home experience, honestly the only thing I learned from it was patience (they have mild dementia) and small talk since my "small talk abilites" were absolutely horrendous before I did care-home experience, probably cause it's the most boring thing on earth... I feel like this isn't something I can put in my PS though? Double boring cause 1. small talk, 2. they had dementia so every convo was the first convo but repeated.

The first time I did care home experience I mostly spent time sorting out clean laundry (loling at this cause I actually really enjoy folding clothes, obviously don't wanna be a maid though was only fun for a bit), I helped some of the residents eat actually but not sure what this taught me: other than the fragility of life and that one day we're all gonna either die or be in a position where you can't even remember how to eat. The little conversation I did have at this care home was actually more entertaining than the second care home, one of the women I got close to I am pretty sure was deluded of some kind as in she was seeing things (obviously not naming where or her name either so confidentiality is kept) absolutely hilarious. I spent alot of time observing residents more than talking to them, and I could expand on this but it would be more philosophical and artistic commentary rather than medical (one of the residents though a toy dog was a real dog and was walking it up and down the hallway lmao). So I am really unsure on how to include these types of things in my personal statement. I do understand that however, care homes are there to support these people, I just hope that I am never subject to one in my life and my children will care for me.

thanks for your help though :smile: I was actually told to keep a diary, I wish I did but at the time I didn't know what to put it sounds so weird trying to write it. I do remember key experiences quite well despite being 2 years ago.
Reply 3
Original post by Kel_Med
Hey

Start extra curricular stuff, just kidding :wink: sorta.. alrightie don't bring down your achievements, they're exactly that YOUR achievements so own them (imagine that in a sassy voice). If you feel like you need to focus on your exams, then dont worry about work experience for now.. 1 month isn't gonna hurt you but messing up your A-levels will.

When it comes to work experience for med something on-going is always gonna make you stand out, and it doesn't have to be an every day thing.. even if its once a week for an hour on a sunday, you can still say "I've been a volunteer at my local care home for 6 months " <-- Now you sound awesome.

Getting work experience like this is easier than it seems, don't rely on the internet, jump up early in the morning and knock on your local care homes door and ask if they need some help for a couple of hours every now and then.. they are likely to say yes (especially if you give a massive grin), if you're shy then you can always take a nice respectable looking adult with you.

Hospital work experience over the summer is nice one to get, check your local NHS trust, they usually do 2 week placement schemes shadowing doctors which is niceee and they give you a laminated certificate which is niceeeeeee

With work experience you are just trying to show them you're not just a book smart science whizz, they wanna see that you've taken the steps to show that you want it more than anything.. and that you can handle the type of job it is

Hope this helps

exactllllyy the "on-going" part is where I lack. (since I am repeating year 12 - mitigating circumstances/med reasons I have a thread on it), last years year 12 I did a "be-friend the old person" scheme I guess that was long term, but it was during one of frees I would go to a close by care home and spend time with them but that the only long term thing it wasn't even that long it like ended in Feb/March.

"if you're shy then you can always take a nice respectable looking adult with you." LOL this will be me.

damn I want that laminated certificate, not just for the achievement but I love laminate.

thank youuuu I would give you rep but I have 0 so :smile:
Original post by medhelp
the volunteering at a care home wasn't part of DofE it was extra I did in year 10 or 11, I did brownies for DofE :smile:

yes I do realise that about the personal statement I just feel like they might be like "oh wait have you been doing this whole time whilst studies" and truth is my day to day extracurricular is quite self-indulgent.

It's a bit difficult to say what I've learned from the second care home experience, honestly the only thing I learned from it was patience (they have mild dementia) and small talk since my "small talk abilites" were absolutely horrendous before I did care-home experience, probably cause it's the most boring thing on earth... I feel like this isn't something I can put in my PS though? Double boring cause 1. small talk, 2. they had dementia so every convo was the first convo but repeated.

The first time I did care home experience I mostly spent time sorting out clean laundry (loling at this cause I actually really enjoy folding clothes, obviously don't wanna be a maid though was only fun for a bit), I helped some of the residents eat actually but not sure what this taught me: other than the fragility of life and that one day we're all gonna either die or be in a position where you can't even remember how to eat. The little conversation I did have at this care home was actually more entertaining than the second care home, one of the women I got close to I am pretty sure was deluded of some kind as in she was seeing things (obviously not naming where or her name either so confidentiality is kept) absolutely hilarious. I spent alot of time observing residents more than talking to them, and I could expand on this but it would be more philosophical and artistic commentary rather than medical (one of the residents though a toy dog was a real dog and was walking it up and down the hallway lmao). So I am really unsure on how to include these types of things in my personal statement. I do understand that however, care homes are there to support these people, I just hope that I am never subject to one in my life and my children will care for me.

thanks for your help though :smile: I was actually told to keep a diary, I wish I did but at the time I didn't know what to put it sounds so weird trying to write it. I do remember key experiences quite well despite being 2 years ago.

Volunteer at a local hospital! That's one of the best volunteering work you can do and they're always in need of volunteers. Secondly you gotta milk your experience! It's hard when you don't know what to look for or say about it, but once you get an idea its sort of easier. For example you could say, I learnt the importance of communicating at the care home whilst talking to so and so. By communicating with her, I was able to gain her trust and it led me to become more empathetic with her struggles (insert example). This is important because as a doctor, communicating allows trust between the doctor and patient, letting them open up and possibly lead to a better diagnosis/result.

Look up the skills you need as a doctor, e.g empathy, communication, teamwork, leadership and when you're doing your work experience think about which skill you're learning about or improving on. And write notes of that in your diary!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Saw you did brownies for DofE - any chance you could take that up again? Most of my voluntary work was with Girlguiding, and I still do it now as an adult leader!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I was in the same situation as you when I was applying for medicine, and all the extracurricular stuff I had was dofe bronze, some clubs at school, and the piano (don't have any grades), and I got into medicine. Obviously the rest of your application counts as well, but what's important is what you learn from your activities and that you can talk about them at interviews
Reply 7
DofE
Reply 8
Original post by idklol
I was in the same situation as you when I was applying for medicine, and all the extracurricular stuff I had was dofe bronze, some clubs at school, and the piano (don't have any grades), and I got into medicine. Obviously the rest of your application counts as well, but what's important is what you learn from your activities and that you can talk about them at interviews

okay thank you :P
btw what grades did you get (esp UKCAT/BMAT) and where did you apply?

Original post by Swole
DofE

thanks for reading the post properly -.-
Reply 9
Original post by medhelp
okay thank you :P
btw what grades did you get (esp UKCAT/BMAT) and where did you apply?

thanks for reading the post properly -.-
I got 755avg for the ukcat and i applied to scottish unis (edinburgh, glasgow, aberdeen, st andrews)
Reply 10
Original post by idklol
I got 755avg for the ukcat and i applied to scottish unis (edinburgh, glasgow, aberdeen, st andrews)

okay thank you (: that's such a good score you probably got all offers
Reply 11
Original post by idklol

may I ask what grades you got in AS level and what you're predicted where when you were applying.
Charity shops write references and are very flexible hours. If you volunteer every week for 3 hours when you can fit it, its something and you can put it down on your application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending