The Student Room Group

Someone help! AS levels

Right I'm an AS student and I'm really really struggling to stay a float here and worse- I've lost the motivation to even try (I'm started to slack off and do nothing!)
I'm doing :
Art (got told I could have got an A at the beginning but didn't stay a float at all with neither the coursework or exam books near done so they predict a B)
Graphics (my coursework is A but my exam book....has 4 pages in it two weeks before the exam)
Literature (I need help how to remember four books- Gatsby, streetcar, measure for measure and poetry- and how to actually write the essays -we've never gone through it in class ever- I got a C+/B- (on progress report it was listed as a B-) on the mock in December)
Sociology (I ve forgotten how to write essays in time! I can't speed up and my grammar goes weird if I try to (same with English) - I feel like there's too much and we still have half of family and methods to cover in class - I got 2 marks off an A at Christmas and As in most class ones but that's without the methods and in recent tests Ive gotten MUCH lower)

Someone help me please and I'll pray for you in your exams. I need advise and tips to make the next month work.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh
Right I'm an AS student and I'm really really struggling to stay a float here and worse- I've lost the motivation to even try (I'm started to slack off and do nothing!)
I'm doing :
Art (got told I could have got an A at the beginning but didn't stay a float at all with neither the coursework or exam books near done so they predict a B)
Graphics (my coursework is A but my exam book....has 4 pages in it two weeks before the exam)
Literature (I need help how to remember four books- Gatsby, streetcar, measure for measure and poetry- and how to actually write the essays -we've never gone through it in class ever- I got a C+/B- (on progress report it was listed as a B-) on the mock in December)
Sociology (I ve forgotten how to write essays in time! I can't speed up and my grammar goes weird if I try to (same with English) - I feel like there's too much and we still have half of family and methods to cover in class - I got 2 marks off an A at Christmas and As in most class ones but that's without the methods and in recent tests Ive gotten MUCH lower)

Someone help me please and I'll pray for you in your exams. I need advise and tips to make the next month work.

I can only help with Sociology I'm afraid :smile: use the PEEL structure - Point, Evidence/explain, Evaluate, Link back to question. For a 20 marker you should be looking to write 4 points plus and intro/conclusion. Make sure you are as precise as possible, saying the most in as little words as possible.

Which exam board are you on? :smile:
I'm doing :

Firstly, stop panicking. Panicking, stressing out, worrying and doubting yourself will achieve nothing in terms of grades and your own health. You need to realise that there are thousands of students who are in the same boat as you trying to achieve the exact same thing; so your not alone in your issues. A-Levels are extremely hard, hence them being called Advanced Qualifications!

It sounds like you've lost the motivation simple because of your work load and failure to meet particular targets such as in sociology. And that's perfectly okay. What you need to know is one, make a plan. Some kind of independent study/revision/responsibility plan for yourself where you efficiently organise everything that's currently weighing you down by breaking them up into SMALLER responsibilities. This way, you will complete more in less time. Such as your coursework for example.

Two, devote time separately to your essays, coursework & revision. This is just to ensure all your work is balanced in terms of the time and effort you put in. This will allow you to work on your Art.

Three, ask your teachers or former candidates in Literature to advice you on how to remember those books and determine if there's any 'special techniques' that you can use. There's always some for Humanity-based subjects!

Perhaps organise meetings with your teachers to ask them about essay writing technique? Even if your too embarrassed to say 'I've forgotten how to write essays,' if you just ask about techniques top candidates use then I'm sure you will be left more informed.

I do AS science-based subjects so I don't really have many essay writing tips I can give you. However, hope for the best in your studies! You can't drown until you willingly get into the water!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by emiloujess
I can only help with Sociology I'm afraid :smile: use the PEEL structure - Point, Evidence/explain, Evaluate, Link back to question. For a 20 marker you should be looking to write 4 points plus and intro/conclusion. Make sure you are as precise as possible, saying the most in as little words as possible.

Which exam board are you on? :smile:

Aqa and sociology is seriously stressing me out! He's expecting us to be able to learn things and go straight into the exam with no time to revise them! Not on at all.

I'm just worried because my grammar goes out the window during timed situations. Like I'll miss out words.
Original post by t.thompson22
Firstly, stop panicking. Panicking, stressing out, worrying and doubting yourself will achieve nothing in terms of grades and your own health. You need to realise that there are thousands of students who are in the same boat as you trying to achieve the exact same thing; so your not alone in your issues. A-Levels are extremely hard, hence them being called Advanced Qualifications!

It sounds like you've lost the motivation simple because of your work load and failure to meet particular targets such as in sociology. And that's perfectly okay. What you need to know is one, make a plan. Some kind of independent study/revision/responsibility plan for yourself where you efficiently organise everything that's currently weighing you down by breaking them up into SMALLER responsibilities. This way, you will complete more in less time. Such as your coursework for example.

Two, devote time separately to your essays, coursework & revision. This is just to ensure all your work is balanced in terms of the time and effort you put in. This will allow you to work on your Art.

Three, ask your teachers or former candidates in Literature to advice you on how to remember those books and determine if there's any 'special techniques' that you can use. There's always some for Humanity-based subjects!

Perhaps organise meetings with your teachers to ask them about essay writing technique? Even if your too embarrassed to say 'I've forgotten how to write essays,' if you just ask about techniques top candidates use then I'm sure you will be left more informed.

Hope for the best!

English there is just so so much- I can't keep it in no matter what I try. I can't move on to essay technique until I have a grasp of the content. Then...there's the matter of writing it (stress stress stress).

Ive emailed my sociology teacher today basically going 'oh **** how do you essay' so hopefully that'll be sorted.....

The arts I have no bloody idea.
Aqa and sociology is seriously stressing me out! He's expecting us to be able to learn things and go straight into the exam with no time to revise them! Not on at all.

I'm just worried because my grammar goes out the window during timed situations. Like I'll miss out words.

That's why you have time at the end to read over your work :smile: I am A2 AQA... Last year I did Families and Education.

Have you found a revision method that works for you? Last year I used mind maps and then cue cards for the sociologists which I found to be very effective.
Reply 6
It's simple. Turn off your phone and Work hard. Do quality study. Around the world many young ones are not getting education, was it their fault that they were born in a poor family, Have you ever wondered how they feel when they see guys like you going to colleges when they have to work hard to earn living for their family they for sure want to be in your place.. You have been given a chance, you are getting the education that many people crave for. Don't waste it, work hard or let the poor guys take your place because they value it way more than you do. :smile: (do tell if it was motivating)
English there is just so so much- I can't keep it in no matter what I try. I can't move on to essay technique until I have a grasp of the content. Then...there's the matter of writing it (stress stress stress).

Ive emailed my sociology teacher today basically going 'oh **** how do you essay' so hopefully that'll be sorted.....

The arts I have no bloody idea.

In fact, I can relate to you. I do Biology and its infamous to be content-heavy & primarily a memory based subject. Sometimes I do a topic or half a topic per day using mind maps since there a great way to learn content in a short amount of time! I don't know how this would work with English though? Honestly, once you grasped the content (which you will) then the essay writing is easy. How have you been covering the content?
Original post by rosh2004
It's simple. Turn off your phone and Work hard. Do quality study. Around the world many young ones are not getting education, was it their fault that they were born in a poor family, Have you ever wondered how they feel when they see guys like you going to colleges when they have to work hard to earn living for their family they for sure want to be in your place.. You have been given a chance, you are getting the education that many people crave for. Don't waste it, work hard or let the poor guys take your place because they value it way more than you do. :smile: (do tell if it was motivating)

You did just motivate me to get up and study :biggrin:
That's why you have time at the end to read over your work :smile: I am A2 AQA... Last year I did Families and Education.

Have you found a revision method that works for you? Last year I used mind maps and then cue cards for the sociologists which I found to be very effective.

Anything that repeats seems to work. I like saying it to someone but I'm in a situation where no one has time to here about the whole of education and family :smile: if you have revision tips they'd be helpful!

I have little time in exams, I'm a slow person. By the time I've read the question five minutes has gone by.
Original post by rosh2004

mate, I'm in hull, Humberside. You don't have to tell me twice about education being important.
(edited 8 years ago)
Anything that repeats seems to work. I like saying it to someone but I'm in a situation where no one has time to here about the whole of education and family :smile: if you have revision tips they'd be helpful!

I have little time in exams, I'm a slow person. By the time I've read the question five minutes has gone by.

Have you got a pet? Maybe 'teach' them - my psychology teacher said it was a good technique. Do you qualify for extra time? From what you've described it may be worth talking to someone about that.
1. Find the requirements of the uni u want to go to.
2. Decide how many hours u need to dedicate to each subject. (By intuition or asking teachers/ colleagues/etc)
3. Make a revision TIMETABLE. (To do this u can use this website which does it automatically: https://getrevising.co.uk/planner but I personally find it more useful to make my own because the website doesn't take into account your preferences, e.g. maybe you prefer to do art late in the evening as it is more relaxing).
4. Follow the timetable strictly.

This worked for me but every person is different; hope it helps
Original post by t.thompson22
In fact, I can relate to you. I do Biology and its infamous to be content-heavy & primarily a memory based subject. Sometimes I do a topic or half a topic per day using mind maps since there a great way to learn content in a short amount of time! I don't know how this would work with English though? Honestly, once you grasped the content (which you will) then the essay writing is easy. How have you been covering the content?

Reading the books and making notes- Ive got through two that way and it hasn't gone in and it took hours. Waste of bloody time. All I ruddy remember is about Fitzgerald's wife. (If there's a question where I can talk about her it would a dream come true- as well as everyone else's nightmare probs)
Have you got a pet? Maybe 'teach' them - my psychology teacher said it was a good technique. Do you qualify for extra time? From what you've described it may be worth talking to someone about that.

I think it's too late to talk to someone about it now- I tried to at the beginning and they just went 'oh but you did well in your gcses' (I didn't- I was predicted 6A*s and I got 2 and feel like it's just happening again tbh)

My dog died after the mock, shall I talk to the ashes? (feels like things can't get any more insane)
(edited 8 years ago)
I think it's too late to talk to someone about it now- I tried to at the beginning and they just went 'oh but you did well in your gcses' (I didn't- I was predicted 6A*s and I got 2 and feel like it's just happening again tbh)

My dog died after the mock, shall I talk to the ashes? (feels like things can't get any more insane)

Sorry, I didn't mean to upset you :frown: 2a*s is great at GCSE - a lot of people get far less! Plus how well you did at GCSE is really not a good predictor of A Level grades - I got an A in Math GCSE but a U at AS and had to repeat year 12.

If you start now it is definitely not too late - bug your teacher as much as you need to, that's what they're there for. But at the same time do not burn yourself out. Make sure you have fun too!
Pray to the lord and he will show you the path to a happy life
Sorry, I didn't mean to upset you :frown: 2a*s is great at GCSE - a lot of people get far less! Plus how well you did at GCSE is really not a good predictor of A Level grades - I got an A in Math GCSE but a U at AS and had to repeat year 12.

If you start now it is definitely not too late - bug your teacher as much as you need to, that's what they're there for. But at the same time do not burn yourself out. Make sure you have fun too!

I'm glad I didn't pick maths now (also got an A but could see maths and art going together).

Would it be too late if I told you that my mum has just told me she threw away one of my notebooks with two of the books (50% of the course) for lit.

I'm doomed.
I'm glad I didn't pick maths now (also got an A but could see maths and art going together).

Would it be too late if I told you that my mum has just told me she threw away one of my notebooks with two of the books (50% of the course) for lit.

I'm doomed.

Maths was horrible, especially as I took Bio and Chem too :tongue:

Still not too late! I lost my sociology notes last year and relied purely on the textbook. Do you have/can you buy a workbook or something for that book? Idk anything about English A Level but it might be possible.
Maths was horrible, especially as I took Bio and Chem too :tongue:

Still not too late! I lost my sociology notes last year and relied purely on the textbook. Do you have/can you buy a workbook or something for that book? Idk anything about English A Level but it might be possible.

It was notes on 15 poems and context, and grouped into which can be used together. There isn't time. I will defeated rn. I was just expecting to pick it up again not to have it thrown away.

Oh and streetcar. Like just the book and all. Thxs mum
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest