The Student Room Group

ESA to JSA? Advice please (no flames)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Samwin
Hi

Basically, am a 22 year old who is currently on ESA (assessment phase) ended up being very sick, to the point the Uni told me I needed to drop out of the course I was doing as missed a fair bit of time to appointments/sickness) I had a fit note from end of December 2015 that expires on the 6th of April.. so know when that runs out, I know I will need to basically get back into job seeking... Due to my family's low income and the whopping student finance debt I have now gotten, I know I need to get a job pronto, have cancelled as many of my appointments as I can see possible.. but I was just curious as to the whole swapping over thing? how would I go on from ESA to JSA now? thanks...

1. Presumably they will stop your ESA payments automatically If you have any documentation it might have a helpline on for you to report you no longer wish to have ESA or they will send you a letter indicating they have terminated it.

Alternatively contact JobCentre Plus.

2. JSA will count as a fresh claim, so there will be no transfer as you have to make a different set of commitments i.e to look for work as part of your jobseekers agreement. You get no payment for the first 8 days of your claims, so make one asap.

You could get Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) if all of the following apply:

you’re 18 or over (there are some exceptions if you’re 16 or 17 - contact Jobcentre Plus for advice)

you’re under State Pension age

you’re not in full-time education

you’re in England, Scotland or Wales

you’re available for work

you’re actively seeking work

you work on average less than 16 hours per week

You make your claim online here
https://www.dwpe-services.direct.gov.uk/portal/page/portal/jsaol/lp

I think you can phone for the form as well,
https://www.gov.uk/contact-jobcentre-plus

You get an appointment, have an interview, make an agreement and thats it
You do what they say and youve agreed to do or they will sanction you.

If you arent coping then go and see CAB, but they cna be very slow, It should be straightforward. It's £57.90 a week.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Samwin
Hi

Basically, am a 22 year old who is currently on ESA (assessment phase) ended up being very sick, to the point the Uni told me I needed to drop out of the course I was doing as missed a fair bit of time to appointments/sickness) I had a fit note from end of December 2015 that expires on the 6th of April.. so know when that runs out, I know I will need to basically get back into job seeking... Due to my family's low income and the whopping student finance debt I have now gotten, I know I need to get a job pronto, have cancelled as many of my appointments as I can see possible.. but I was just curious as to the whole swapping over thing? how would I go on from ESA to JSA now? thanks...

So you're still being assessed? When did your assessment phase start and what have been told since then? Have you filled in and sent off the huge form (ESA50?)? Unless they've told you that you're not eligible for ESA you shouldn't have to go on JSA when your fit note ends.
Reply 3
Original post by SmallTownGirl
So you're still being assessed? When did your assessment phase start and what have been told since then? Have you filled in and sent off the huge form (ESA50?)? Unless they've told you that you're not eligible for ESA you shouldn't have to go on JSA when your fit note ends.

In a nutshell it started 15th December, :smile: and in short, nothing :/ I did the ESA50 beginning of January... got signed off for anxiety, depression... chronic fatigue syndrome, also have aspergers, dyspraxia, IBS and asthma... thanks for replying :smile: x
You should confirm with them that your cclaim has ended, tbh I think any corrspondence will make this clear. If not ring them up and confirm the status of your claim. Takes a few minutes to sort out.
Original post by Samwin
In a nutshell it started 15th December, :smile: and in short, nothing :/ I did the ESA50 beginning of January... got signed off for anxiety, depression... chronic fatigue syndrome, also have aspergers, dyspraxia, IBS and asthma... thanks for replying :smile: x

If you started getting paid from the 15th December then your 13-week assessment phase should have ended on the 15th March. If 15th December was when you first applied then your assessment phase should have ended a week later than that. Unless you have been assessed as ineligible for ESA then your claim should not end at the end of your fit note. Phone up and find out whether you need to get another fit note.
Reply 6
Oh my... really? o.O I didn't know that o.O thanks so much for that! I shall do that first thing tomorrow :smile:
Original post by Samwin
Oh my... really? o.O I didn't know that o.O thanks so much for that! I shall do that first thing tomorrow :smile:

What did the last thing you received about ESA say?
No no no no no...ESA may have a 13 week assessment phase but this can go on longer than that and is building up to a work capability assessment with a doctor which you have to go to to see if you can move onto full ESA. It may only take longer than 13 weeks because of the waiting list for the work capability assessments! You definitely do not simply go back onto JSA after 13 weeks - of course you can if you like, but your ESA claim won't end until you've had the assessment and the decision is no. You can then also appeal this while going back on JSA.

Also check if a thing called Universal Credit is active in your area yet - if it is, you could have to wait 6 weeks or more for money from them. This is a replacement for JSA. But like I say there is zero reason for your ESA claim to be closed unless you close it yourself - wait for the assessment.
Reply 9
Original post by SmallTownGirl
What did the last thing you received about ESA say?

Just that my fit note runs out on the 6th and to send another otherwise the claim goes
Original post by Samwin
Just that my fit note runs out on the 6th and to send another otherwise the claim goes

Then you need to see the GP who issued your fit note and get another one.
Be aware that you may not even get JSA if they don't think you can meet the requirements of either actively seeking work or working. They can refuse your claim on that basis.
Original post by 999tigger
You should confirm with them that your cclaim has ended, tbh I think any corrspondence will make this clear. If not ring them up and confirm the status of your claim. Takes a few minutes to sort out.

DWP correspondence about ESA is anything but clear unfortunately. It's written in the least clear language possible.
Original post by PQ
DWP correspondence about ESA is anything but clear unfortunately. It's written in the least clear language possible.

I dont have any problem with it. You can simply use common sense and ring them or go into a JS+ and get someone to help if you cnat do that.

This is my number, please can you check whether my claim is active and what will happen to my claim when the fit note ends. Its simply common sense if you dont know yourself ask a person who does. This isnt hard.

He can be proactive and ask now instead of waiting for the sky to fall in.
Reply 14
You can look for and do work whilst receiving ESA you know that don't you?
Original post by Thomb

I'm not sure how many people actually do this because people on ESA are generally unable to work. I worry that if I do too much volunteering then someone will think that I'm able to work.
Reply 16
Original post by Thomb

Howdy, yeah I do, I am looking for work at the moment, revising my CV as well, and looking at new volunteer work (was volunteering till December, sadly my placement got closed down) :frown:
Reply 17
Original post by 999tigger
I dont have any problem with it. You can simply use common sense and ring them or go into a JS+ and get someone to help if you cnat do that.

This is my number, please can you check whether my claim is active and what will happen to my claim when the fit note ends. Its simply common sense if you dont know yourself ask a person who does. This isnt hard.

He can be proactive and ask now instead of waiting for the sky to fall in.

She already intends to ask :wink:
Original post by Samwin
She already intends to ask :wink:

Is there any reason whty you cant get another fit note? Have you talked to your GP to see if they will give you one?

You might as well stay on ESA whilst your claim is still live. You need a determination. They might actually find for you, so be patient. if successful as that is likely to mean more money and more favourable terms than JSA.
I'd stay on ESA personally. There's nothing to stop you from looking for work yourself. If you decide to do that, you're not faced with the pressure of applying for x amount of jobs and whatever else the job centre want you to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending