The Student Room Group

If you lived for eternity, what's the best way to make money?

As per our poll today, if you were to find out today that you would be alive for eternity, what would you now do to start funding that?

I mean, now you know you're going to live forever, you want to work towards the point of being rich and never having to worry about money while you concentrate on exploring the world and living the life of Riley, right?

How would you fund your eternal life?

Scroll to see replies

Infinite interest rates are your friend
But... if everyone were rich, wouldn't that then mean that nobody is rich at all? :erm:
I don't think our economies could support eternal life, :rofl: but tbh I would have no reason at all to work towards money if I knew there was 0% chance of me dying. I'd quit my jobs and see the world and make a difference somehow. Humans first, money second! :yep:
Reply 3
Original post by Captain Jack
As per our poll today, if you were to find out today that you would be alive for eternity, what would you now do to start funding that?

I mean, now you know you're going to live forever, you want to work towards the point of being rich and never having to worry about money while you concentrate on exploring the world and living the life of Riley, right?

Collect ancient artefacts, keep them for 500,000 years and then sell them.

If I'm honest, it'd actually make me slow down a little bit... Knowing I was going to live forever, I wouldn't have a rush to build money to do stuff before I get too old, as I could take a little longer to get money, and know I still have the time to do stuff.

So in actual fact, I'd probably finish uni, then go out and do something which wouldn't pay as well as I may necessarily want, but just having fun... I'd probably go abroad and do some seasonal work for a while... Would absolutely love to go to the Alps, do some work out there... knowing there's no rush to build my billions!
Original post by mobbsy91
If I'm honest, it'd actually make me slow down a little bit... Knowing I was going to live forever, I wouldn't have a rush to build money to do stuff before I get too old, as I could take a little longer to get money, and know I still have the time to do stuff.

So in actual fact, I'd probably finish uni, then go out and do something which wouldn't pay as well as I may necessarily want, but just having fun... I'd probably go abroad and do some seasonal work for a while... Would absolutely love to go to the Alps, do some work out there... knowing there's no rush to build my billions!

Yes!!!
Original post by Ribenas
Collect ancient artefacts, keep them for 500,000 years and then sell them.

what do you do for money during the 500,000 years you're waiting for this artefact to become valuable?

I work in finance & investment. There is a correct answer to this question (as in what the best option would be to generate wealth if you were going to live forever). I wont post it just yet, will just wait and see if anyone else does.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by iEthan
But... if everyone were rich, wouldn't that then mean that nobody is rich at all? :erm:
I don't think our economies could support eternal life, :rofl: but tbh I would have no reason at all to work towards money if I knew there was 0% chance of me dying. I'd quit my jobs and see the world and make a difference somehow. Humans first, money second! :yep:

Oh, I just assumed you would be the only one to live for eternity :erm:
Oh, I just assumed you would be the only one to live for eternity :erm:

Ooooopsss! Sorry! :giggle:

In that case... :tongue:

I'd definitely still go about making a difference, but the 'fame factor' of it all would be very overwhelming! I'd save money etc. for my family to make sure they always had a legacy but the same pretty much applies :tongue:
Reply 9
Sell or rather donate my genes/blood to science organizations to see if they can gain from it and I would travel the world. After I've done everything and been everywhere, I'd rather quite like to die. It would be sad to not die amongst your loved ones and the people you knew your in normal human life span and the effect of the increasing extinction/loss of animals, climate change and global warming would be depressing as one person alone can't make all the difference. Everything is finite even the universe itself.
Marry a really old rich guy whose probs going to be on his deathbed and make sure in his will I get all the money :colone:
Original post by Black Cobra
what do you do for money during the 500,000 years you're waiting for this artefact to become valuable?

I work in finance & investment. There is a correct answer to this question (as in what the best option would be to generate wealth if you were going to live forever). I wont post it just yet, will just wait and see if anyone else does.

Destroy all the other artifacts* :sly:

This is wholly contingent on the answer to this question:

Do you keep ageing for eternity or does the ageing process halt at some stage? :holmes:
Reply 13
I'd buy up as many shares as possible in companies that produce sleeping pills.
Original post by IFoundWonderland
This is wholly contingent on the answer to this question:

Do you keep ageing for eternity or does the ageing process halt at some stage? :holmes:

assume its the later. the former is illogical (aging is just dying over a long period of time. if you never die, then it stands to reason you never age either.....or you age but regenerate your cells at some point)
Reply 15

It's simple - if you're gonna live for eternity (this assumes only you) then you have time to pick something you enjoy and become the best who ever lived at it.
Original post by Black Cobra
assume its the later. the former is illogical (aging is just dying over a long period of time. if you never die, then it stands to reason you never age either.....or you age but regenerate your cells at some point)

You've clearly never watched Wizards of Waverley Place.
Original post by iEthan

If only everyone was as selfless as you lol
Original post by Youngmetro
If only everyone was as selfless as you lol

:lol: everyone has their guilty pleasure
Original post by iEthan
:lol: everyone has their guilty pleasure

I think most ppl on tsr are quite materialistic and motivated by money haha

Quick Reply

Latest